[Mini-News] Apple Only Sells Retina iOS Devices

Suika

6730c1bb7f25ee090ac10ad8d245fd40.png

(click for source)

Whether it's a tablet, phablet, or phone, Retina Display is now a feature on all iOS devices.

Some hardcore Android fans would criticize Apple's displays for offering a relatively low PPI (comparatively) when other, "less premium" Android tablets offered higher PPI. Apple insists around the 300 PPI mark is where you're not going to notice differences in higher pixel densities at reasonable viewing distances. I can't say they're wrong, I didn't notice a difference from a OnePlus One (1080p display) to the LG G4 (1440p) so there's that.

Anyway, Apple is done selling the original iPad Mini, so every iOS device being sold is going to feature retina displays. Pretty neat actually because at least when you buy an iOS device, you know you're getting a great, sharp display. On that same note, all iOS devices feature a 64-bit processor.

An Apple spokesperson confirmed the discontinuation. "The non-retina iPad mini model is no longer available," an Apple spokesperson writes in an email to The Verge. "Now all models of iPad mini and iPad Air have 64-bit Apple-designed CPUs and high-resolution Retina displays."

Refurbished models are still available for purchase but for the most part, new models are done.

The iPad mini's disappearance from Apple's online store was first spotted this morning [June 19th] by 9to5Mac. Refurbished models are still available to purchase, but only new models of the iPad Air and Air 2, and mini 3 and mini 2 are still available. The original iPad mini's discontinuation notably removes the final non-Retina display from Apple's iOS lineup.

Almost five years ago, retina was announced for iOS devices, now it's being placed on iMacs and Macbooks, which I think is neat to see actually. How long until every available iMac and Macbook features retina display? 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

"Retina" has always just been Apple's excuse for a higher price point while making it sound better and new, as if it was something that no other company was offering, typical Apple.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

well...their "retina" line was higher display density...so if they are all the retina now...then what is the point?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Apple insists around the 300 PPI mark is where you're not going to notice differences in higher pixel densities at reasonable viewing distances. I can't say they're wrong, I didn't notice a difference from a OnePlus One (1080p display) to the LG G4 (1440p) so there's that.

Huh? That's comparing 400 PPI to 530 PPI... Apple states that there's no difference between 326 and anything higher, when it's definitely noticeable going from 326 to the 400+ range.

"Rawr XD"

well...their "retina" line was higher display density...so if they are all the retina now...then what is the point?

Ultraretina?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

"Retina" has always just been Apple's excuse for a higher price point while making it sound better and new, as if it was something that no other company was offering, typical Apple.

would you like salt with that comment sir?

Huh? That's comparing 400 PPI to 530 PPI... Apple states that there's no difference between 326 and anything higher, when it's definitely noticeable going from 326 to the 400+ range.

compare the 6+ to the g3....if you look hard enough, side by side and you can see the diferance, just....300-400 is around the sweet spot

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

would you like saly with that comment sir?

Are you stupid or have you been living under a rock ever since Apple has giving their new devices the tag or "Retina"?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Sorry but repost. Also might wanna add a source next time  :)

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Sorry but repost. Also might wanna add a source next time :)

There is a source, it's the very first thing that was posted.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Are you stupid or have you been living under a rock ever since Apple has giving their new devices the tag or "Retina"?

its clear from your comments that your butthurt about apple. retina has never been an excuse to charge more, apple dont really need an excuse to charge more. when they coined retina no one was really offering anything like retina, at least not in the main stream. it has always been a way to differentiate from there standard res devices....

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

There is a source, it's the very first thing that was posted.

Oh it was the picture, my bad sorry  :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

its clear from your comments that your butthurt about apple. retina has never been an excuse to charge more, apple dont really need an excuse to charge more. when they coined retina no one was really offering anything like retina, at least not in the main stream. it has always been a way to differentiate from there standard res devices....

When Retina first released, yes there was a purpose, there were notebooks with it and the year prior there werent. Now, they label Retina as something on every device and to someone who doesnt know any better, it seems like its something thats new and other companies dont offer.

Its got nothing to do with being pissed off, I OWN AN IPHONE and I love it, its great and it works well. These are just the facts.

I will no reply further than this because Im not getting into pointless arguments with people who just want to start flame over things that are being argued and not in their favor.

Good day to you.

compare the 6+ to the g3....if you look hard enough, side by side and you can see the diferance, just....300-400 is around the sweet spot

That's still comparing ~400 PPI to 530. I was referring to the standard of 326 that Apple supposedly set for "Retina" compared to the 400-something that comes with 1080p 5.0-5.5" phones.

There is a little difference between the 6+/OPO and G3/G4, but 300-400 is too broad to be the sweet spot. There is a noticeable difference between the regular iPhone 6's 326ppi and the Galaxy S4's 441ppi (I have both right in front of me), and it is still noticeable even in regular usage, unlike going from the S4 to the G3/G4's 538ppi which is not really discernable unless compared side-by-side. If the iPhone 6S had a 1080p screen pretty much everyone would be able to immediately notice the difference.

"Rawr XD"

Every company does that. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Every company does that. 

True...

CPU: AMD FX 9590 @ 4.7 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6GB MB: MSI 990FXA-GD80 RAM: 8GB Vengance x4 HDD: Seagate 1B / 8GB SATA3 64MB SSD x2 OD: Blu-ray Writer 16x SATA Black PSU InWin 1200W Modular 80Plus Bronze  Chassis: Strike-X One MATX Tower 

marketing

- snip-

When Retina first released, yes there was a purpose, there were notebooks with it and the year prior there werent. Now, they label Retina as something on every device and to someone who doesnt know any better, it seems like its something thats new and other companies dont offer.

Its got nothing to do with being pissed off, I OWN AN IPHONE and I love it, its great and it works well. These are just the facts.

I will no reply further than this because Im not getting into pointless arguments with people who just want to start flame over things that are being argued and not in their favor.

Good day to you.

every device you say....mmmmmmm....they have the retina 5k imac and the mac pro with retina....thats all they advertise as retina and in both cases they offer a non retina option...its not about more money its about differentiating there products 

While you were busy being salty, did you perhaps notice that they give the Retina tag to devices that carry high resolution displays? That the "Retina" branding is how Apple lets people know it is a high resolution display? 

As for the prices going up...well...duh. High res panels cost more. They get put into the higher end devices. Things like the rMBP are built to a level that the Razer Blade or MSI Ghost or other unibody, thin aluminum ultrabooks are. Nice engineering costs money, ya know? 

The 5K Retina iMac is cheaper than a 5K display on its own, so I'm not sure how Apple is ripping people off on that one to be honest. 

You seem mad that apple knows how to MARKET. Something any company should be good at if they want to maintain and increase sales, since outside of the circle jerking  of the internet, marketing is crucial to getting sales and letting people know you have new product. And having the Retina branding helps. 

But go on, be more salty. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Good stuff. Although I wish Apple would up the average to around ~400ppi. Personally, with my eyesight, that's the point where anything above that is pretty much unnoticeable. 

A higher resolution screen costs more than a lower resolution screen. Mind blowing I know. 

A higher resolution screen costs more than a lower resolution screen. Mind blowing I know. 

Thanks for making your 800th post shit talk to me <3

On that same note, all iOS devices feature a 64-bit processor.

Nah man, the current iPod touch used an A5 processor which is 32-bit. Same CPU in the 4S, iPad 2 & iPad Mini.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14