Founder of Comcast dies at 95

Kherm

590px-Comcast_logo_old.svg.png

Today marks a very sad day for everybody (at NBC News, where they're forced to cover it)

Ralph Roberts bought American Cable system in 1969 and immediately changed the name to Comcast. Thus started the beginning of the end.

Ralph Roberts, a businessman with a gentle demeanor who built Comcast from a small cable TV system in Mississippi into one of the nation's largest entertainment companies, died Thursday night. He was 95.

Comcast says in a statement released Friday that Roberts died Thursday night in Comcast's home city of Philadelphia of natural causes.

Ralph was a born entrepreneur, a visionary businessman, a philanthropist and a wonderful human being. Ralph built Comcast into one of America's greatest companies and his vision and spirit have been at the heart of Comcast and our culture for 50 years," the company said. "He will be truly missed. Ralph's greatest love was his family, and our deepest sympathies go to his wife Suzanne and the entire Roberts family

It makes me sick to look at the wording that NBC uses to describe their parent company. 

Using money from the sale, Roberts set up an investment company. A street encounter with an acquaintance led to his purchase of American Cable Systems.

In 1969, the company was renamed Comcast — a combination of "communications" and "broadcast" — and incorporated in Pennsylvania. Roberts began acquiring smaller cable systems and built the company into the nation's fifth-largest by 1988. Two years later, his son would become president of Comcast and continued the expansion Roberts began.

Now Comcast is the nation's largest provider of cable TV and home Internet service.

Roberts often served as a diplomat for the entire cable industry, trying to bring regulators and cable executives together, said Reed Hundt, former chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. In particular, Hundt remembers the approach Roberts took in criticizing the FCC's policies at a dinner in 1994.

Source: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Comcast-Founder-Ralph-Roberts-Dies-at-95-308429001.html

comcast_detail1.jpg

il_fullxfull.526392280_dm2n.jpg

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I'm still sad a person died.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I foresee 2-3 reactions to this thread:

'good, he was the founder of evil' or something along those lines, but they don't realize he left  it to his son to inherit really soon so he really isn't to blame for the bad things comcast is doing these days. May be countered by sane  people telling them they are insane for wishing somebody dead for founding a company.

or

'sad day, R.I.P'

Really i feel sad that the owner has passed. But really, Comcast today has fallen into shambles.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm still sad a person died.

Well tbh he doesn't have anything to do with the asshole practices of today's Comcast as the article states he left the company in his son's hands in 1990. (unless they were bad back then too?)

Well tbh he doesn't have anything to do with the asshole practices of today's Comcast as the article states he left the company in his son's hands in 1990. (unless they were bad back then too?)

regardless, it doesn't really matter at this point...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hardly tech news related.

It's about a tech company. More like the founder of a major tech company.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm pretty sure they were the ones who figured out how to scramble the cable signal and they made you buy a De-scrambler box just to be able to watch it. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Am I a horrible person if I don't care?

Not really no, you didn't know this person so.... :P hard to feel bad.

I'm pretty sure they were the ones who figured out how to scramble the cable signal and they made you buy a De-scrambler box just to be able to watch it. 

Did they? :/ damn that son

Gru ! 

Living in a parallel universe // PC Guy turns MAC.... 

Something ins't right...

What was it again? "You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain"?

I wonder what he thought of comcast as it is now

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

RIP.

Am I a horrible person if I don't care?

Not really. You didn't know the guy.

He lived a full life, and he gave us... this... I can't say that this is a tragedy. Hell, I don't even want to live to 95 personally.

What was it again? "You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain"?

I wonder what he thought of comcast as it is now

No, it's "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become another hero."

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Good riddance to that scum.

Now if only the same could happen to the rest of the shot callers at Comcast.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Good riddance to that scum.

Now if only the same could happen to the rest of the shot callers at Comcast.

What? He is a founder of a company that when he founded it, probably wanted to do good. It is not his fault comcast as we know it is as bad as it is. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

What? He is a founder of a company that when he founded it, probably wanted to do good. It is not his fault comcast as we know it is as bad as it is. 

"Roberts often served as a diplomat for the entire cable industry, trying to bring regulators and cable executives together, said Reed Hundt, former chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. In particular, Hundt remembers the approach Roberts took in criticizing the FCC's policies at a dinner in 1994."

I say scum.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

rnd-rudy.gif

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx