Radeon Fury X Outperforms GeForce GTX Titan X @ $650

Danielm888

Ah!

How can 4GB of vram be enough? A previous user said something about HBM or something instead of GDDR5, what does that mean?

It equates to more bandwidth and less latency.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Ah!

How can 4GB of vram be enough? A previous user said something about HBM or something instead of GDDR5, what does that mean?

HBM is High Bandwidth Memory. Its a new tech which is far more power efficient than gddr5 and significantly faster. It also takes up "93%" less space according to AMD based on the board which is why the new fury cards are so "small"

4gb of GDDR5 VRAM mixed with that power is odd. We have no idea how HBM performs yet. We can only theoretically extrapolate which is what these guys did to get those numbers.

Also the new upcoming Fiji driver which AMD promised will optimize VRAM handling for 4GB HBM. I would wait for benchmarks with those before giving a verdict on this GPU.

Ah!

Hm. AMD putting a lot of faith in their compression I suppose.

A post I conformed in another thread I think really puts the whole "4GB not being enough" at ease.

HBM works a bit different then GDDR5 with a much wider interface, double the command input, single bank refreshing and a much shorter RLC. This is why you see a lot of people are saying "4GB HBM acts like 6GB of GDDR5". We won't know these improvements factor into gaming performance until we get Fury X on a test bench and run some numbers. Personally, I don't foresee 4GB of HBM being of any limitation. AMD went with HBM simply because GDDR5 is becoming too slow to accommodate the GPU. Hawaii was already pushing the limits of GDDR5 on a 512-bit bus. How many more modules of GDDR5 do you want to see on a graphics card in order for it to keep it fed properly? Another thing to keep in mind is GCN 1.2 brought forth delta compression which allows for the frame buffer to be compressed. So there's going to be fewer bytes per frame allowing the GPU to use what it needs to and to then get rid of it much quicker (shorter RLC). Needless to say through all of the jabber I would urge anyone who thinks 4GB is not enough to go look at GTX 980 SLI vs TITAN X 4k benchmarks. Them alone will shut a lot of people up about this whole density situation.

Also the new upcoming Fiji driver which AMD promised will optimize VRAM handling for 4GB HBM. I would wait for benchmarks with those before giving a verdict on this GPU.

Are you trying to ask the Internet to hold judgement, wait to do benchmarks, and not start-up the hype train?

K.

4gb vram mixed with that amount of power is just odd but whatever

Cuz it aint VRAM> 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

A post I conformed in another thread I think really puts the whole "4GB not being enough" at ease.

Hey did you notice the odd benchmark for BF4 in that link you had? It had the Titan X behind a 780 non sli stock (the ultra 4k preset). I wondered if they retested that to see if it was a fluke.

It equates to more bandwidth and less latency.

HBM works a bit different then GDDR5 with a much wider interface, double the command input, single bank refreshing and a much shorter RLC. This is why you see a lot of people are saying "4GB HBM acts like 6GB of GDDR5". We won't know these improvements factor into gaming performance until we get Fury X on a test bench and run some numbers. Personally, I don't foresee 4GB of HBM being of any limitation. AMD went with HBM simply because GDDR5 is becoming too slow to accommodate the GPU. Hawaii was already pushing the limits of GDDR5 on a 512-bit bus. How many more modules of GDDR5 do you want to see on a graphics card in order for it to keep it fed properly? Another thing to keep in mind is GCN 1.2 brought forth delta compression which allows for the frame buffer to be compressed. So there's going to be fewer bytes per frame allowing the GPU to use what it needs to and to then get rid of it much quicker (shorter RLC). Needless to say through all of the jabber I would urge anyone who thinks 4GB is not enough to go look at GTX 980 SLI vs TITAN X 4k benchmarks. Them alone will shut a lot of people up about this whole density situation.

Thanks Opcode and MegaDave91! I'm here on the forums to learn as much as everything else, and a lot of the times people don't explain stuff in their discussions for us "noobs". xD

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

This is incredible. Yes, we have to wait for real-world benchs, but the specs are realy promising, this new tech looks pretty good.

Everybody is complaining about the rebrand, I guess that AMD used all the R&D money for Fiji, they said that they have been working on this "for years" in the stream.

I hope they deliver a nice high end enthusiast grade GPU

My poor GTX 970 is crying

Thanks Opcode and MegaDave91! I'm here on the forums to learn as much as everything else, and a lot of the times people don't explain stuff in their discussions for us "noobs". xD

I can understand the concern people have as the industry has portrayed that VRAM density matters, when it really doesn't. Every game on the market today could of been optimized to run on less than 2GB of memory, even at 4k resolution. The problem lies within developers needlessly wasting memory. DirectX 12 should help with these density concerns with async copy queues and async compute allowing for faster streaming with less latency (reduced texture popping).

AMD Radeon R9 Poseidon, if only it ran real cool. That would be a great name or Zeus

Then with Asus's poseidon... It would be r9 Poseidon Poseidon edition

- snip-

This shit right here.  That's what I like to see.  A great competitor to the 980ti, X or non-X.  I would love to see some game benchmarks next.

Also have we had confirmations of these being the actual pricing?

This shit right here.  That's what I like to see.  A great competitor to the 980ti, X or non-X.  I would love to see some game benchmarks next.

649.99$ USD

Yeap AMD said so themselves 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Check the thread here for details. I'm actually uploading a complete set of high res slides for it as we speak.

finally some good news. At least this card is competitive. Still disappointing with the rebrands though, but who am i kidding, it was always going to happen.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

649.99$ USD

I meant a source from AMD.

Nevermind, I see it now.  This is indeed a very, very good deal from AMD.

When I got a 1440p monitor, I wanted to get a 980ti to upgrade with it (or a second 970)...now I have to reconsider.  Thankfully, with both of these so close to each other, the 980ti and Furies now have to compete for the customers with deals and coupons, instead of Nvidia having control of the highend.

I meant a source from AMD.

Nevermind, I see it now.  This is indeed a very, very good deal from AMD.

AMD= Amazingly Massive Deals

AMD= Amazingly Massive Deals

Yea, it's great.  My only problem is, of course, 4gb of memory, but what with the yields of HBM, that's to be expected.  And if this card actually makes them enough with how much HBM probably costs.

Even though we don't really have definitive numbers quite yet from reputable sources, is this enough to feed the annoying fanboys that are whining and complaining? I'm very sick of it.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Future looks good. I'm excited for DX10 benchmarks, matured gpu driver and perhaps latest Gen of HBM.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Even though we don't really have definitive numbers quite yet from reputable sources, is this enough to feed the annoying fanboys that are whining and complaining? I'm very sick of it.

Bait, hopefully it isn't bait

Its not leaps ahead of the Titan X but the price makes it very attractive but the 980Ti is still an excellent choice if you must go with team green.

Can't wait to see real world in-game benchmarks. I might end up selling my 970 and upgrade along with a new monitor.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3