Radeon R9 380 ASUS Strix Gaming 2GB benchmarks

zMeul

I want AMD to do well as without a rival company, Nvidia and Intel won't innovate but unless AMD innovates they're going down the drain and they have no one but themselves to blame.

There's a lot of straight up misinformation in this thread. I hate the rebrand as much as the next person but credit is where credit due.

3xx card is rebranded ONCE, not twice like some people keep parroting.

7950/7970 are retired. 280, 280x are retired.

390x is rebranded 290x Hawaii with extra 4GB of RAM

390 is  rebranded 290 Hawaii with extra 4GB of RAM

380 is rebranded 285 Tonga

370 is rebranded 270(x) Curaçao 

They screwed up the naming scheme for sure. However, for those who said that AMD didn't innovate, look at their fiji line up, they are more powerful than anything their size. 

There's a lot of straight up misinformation in this thread. I hate the rebrand as much as the next person but credit is where credit due.

7950/7970 are retired. 280, 280x are retired.

390x is rebranded 290x Hawaii with extra 4GB of RAM

390 is  rebranded 290 Hawaii with extra 4GB of RAM

380 is rebranded 285 Tonga

They screwed up the naming scheme for sure. However, for those who said that AMD didn't innovate, look at their fiji line up, they are more powerful than anything their size. 

The problem is the pricing, specifically on the 390 and 390x which is excessive and borderline consumer abuse.

-------

Current Rig

-------

370 - 270 - HD7870 = Pitcairn - that's 3 times GCN 1.0

360 - 260 - HD7790 = Bonaire - GCN 1.1

Actually, When I quote 70 extra dollars I do mean exactly the same card: The 290x 8gb tri x:

http://goo.gl/VRLOiZ

A 4gb vram 290x is actually closer to 150 bucks cheaper.

Isn't it cooler and faster though? like a 100 TDP under +?

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

lol their r9 2xx series is just rebranded hd 7xxx series cards

really? so the used hd 7*** sold here could just be the same r9 3** cards???

No, the 79XX series GPU is done, gone...

...almost

only the 360 and 370 are carried over from HD7xxx era

370 is GCN 1.0, while 360 is GCN 1.1

TY for correcting me... I did not know that.  :)

We already know Tonga struggles with 2GB of VRAM. You can pretty much copy and paste the R9 285 benchmarks to fabricate realistic numbers. It will be interesting to see how it performs with 4GB of memory.

WOW... that is really disappointing

My 960 overclocked by 7% can run Dying Light at MAX (including draw distance) at a solid 60

It performs worse than a 280X :(

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

No, there is no 380x, so it was meant to replace the 280 series.

apparently it wasnt fully unlocked and they are going to fully unlock it

WOW... that is really disappointing

My 960 overclocked by 7% can run Dying Light at MAX (including draw distance) at a solid 60

It performs worse than a 280X :(

I am sorry, but no... no chance in hell the 960 will max out Dying Light at a "solid" 60.  Maybe inside the headquarters.  ;)

...correction, maybe at 720p

Nobody can officially confirm but it is looking like its the exact same card according to OC3D for example

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_r9_390x_teardown_reveals_a_complete_rebrand/1

Well that's shitty but really only the 390X is a problem.  There still a ton of 200X and the other models arent really so bad

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

then you should OC the 280X too, or you want to leave it like that

I simply consider a bad practice to compare overclocked cards - some silicon overclocks more, some less and you just end up with skewed results often not replicable by home users

But if a card, on average overclocks 20% and a card on average only overclocks 10%, it's certainly worthwhile to compare them.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

But if a card, on average overclocks 20% and a card on average only overclocks 10%, it's certainly worthwhile to compare them.

no, because even re-binned GPUs, like GigaByte does with their G1 series will vary in overclockability - there are no 2 silicon chips, GPUs in this case, that are 100% identical

I don't trust what I can't read. I'm waiting on AnandTech and PCPer. 

no, because even re-binned GPUs, like GigaByte does with their G1 series will vary in overclockability - there are no 2 silicon chips, GPUs in this case, that are 100% identical

Obviously, that's why we take the average overclock...

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

So much fail and incorrect information in the first page of this thread.

Glad to see most of it has been corrected though. 

There will be a 380x using the full Tonga GPU. 380 is the cut-down GPU (from the 285). 

Still going on about the supposed 380x eh? care to enlighten us as to why you're so convinced it exists and why AMD has made no mention of it?

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Why can't Intel enter the dGPU market? They have the resources and money to really challenge Nvidia and put the pressure on to innovate even more. I'm not so sure AMD can, even with Fiji. Nvidia might come out with Pascal and Volta before AMD has a chance to release their successor.

Has Intel ever had, or thought about entering the dGPU market before? I think they would be a far more competitor to Nvidia and really help push PC gaming forward.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

No, the 79XX series GPU is done, gone...

...almost

IIRC, these are the longest cards ever, right?

TY for correcting me... I did not know that.  :)

ok, so the 380 & 390 are more recent rebrands..something to take note of here

thanks!

I'm really shocked they didn't have it slated for release along with the rest of the series, it would have taken some pressure off the rebrand conversation. 

I'm not surprised. Leaves another "new" card they can release at a later date. Just like how Nivida released some of there cards several months apart. There's quite the gap in performance between the 380 and 390 as it stands.

I heard this so many times now, sauce ?!?!

Only sources I could find are speculation only. So I'll remain skeptical on this for now. It's not inconceivable, after all, AMD managed to keep the R9 Nano under tight wraps until today. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Am I the only one who sees the problem with AMD being cheaper than Intel/Nvidia? I understand that people want a cheap alternative product that go hand in hand with the other product but you have to understand, AMD is losing money every quarter. If ever Nvidia or Intel releases new generation of products that would greatly exceed the performance that AMD's next generation offers, they would be dead in no time.  I would be glad if they increase the prices of their current product so they can survive and provide more great products. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

So the 280x does better than the 380? Wow.

Nvidia has a stupid naming scheme. Whats the next titan card going to be called. Titan G?? Titan L?? Titan O??

GTX Olympus maybe.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |