SKHynix ramping up HBM1 production for AMD

marldorthegreat

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sk-hynix-ramps-production-high-080400426.html

SK Hynix Inc. (or ‘the Company’, www.skhynix.com) announced today that it is shipping mass production volumes of 1st generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM1) based on SK hynix’s advanced 20nm-class DRAM process technology. HBM1 represents a groundbreaking leap in performance by enabling a 1,024 bit wide memory interface to achieve 128GB/second performance while reducing power by 50% over traditional GDDR5 DRAM solutions.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Well there goes the 30,000 products rumor. Anyone knows who is supposed to make HBM2 anyway? Also Hynix?

And also dude, don't just c/p the article.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well there goes the 30,000 products rumor. Anyone knows who is supposed to make HBM2 anyway? Also Hynix?

And also dude, don't just c/p the article.

SK Hynix has HBM2 in the works, maybe others will make it too.

I want to see how HBM1 performs in the real world before I get concerned with HBM2.  Given how far away that is we might see a whole new ram tech before then anyway. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I want to see how HBM1 performs in the real world before I get concerned with HBM2.  Given how far away that is we might see a whole new ram tech before then anyway. 

HBM2 should be ready for next year,

Dark Theme users will appreciate...

Nevertheless, i do hope that Fury will be a proper card unlike, the rest of Rebrand9 300 series cards.

I know that last sentence is just to fire shots at AMD, but obviously Fury isn't a rebrand.

I know that last sentence is just to fire shots at AMD, but obviously Fury isn't a rebrand.

Thats what we think....

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Please fix your post in accordance with the pinned thread.

and just like that, the 30000 Fury limit rumor comes back to life

also this:

• Fiji - 128GB/s per stack x 4 = 512GB/s
  • 390X = 384GB/s

if Fury(X) is nothing short of a miracle, this will bite them in the arse, hard!! they were so adamant on putting HBM1 on that chip ...  -_-

I know that. And it was to fire shots at AMD's rebrand plans. But I'm genuenly interested to see if Fury will be a proper card that can catch on.

who cares...

I know that. And it was to fire shots at AMD's rebrand plans. But I'm genuenly interested to see if Fury will be a proper card that can catch on.

Define "proper card." That just seems like a ridiculous term.

Define "proper card." That just seems like a ridiculous term.

A card that will be abled to step up to the Titan X and kick its butt while being less expensive. Also a good energy efficiency and low heat output/ noise level would be nice. Fury should just in general be a milestone in AMDs GPU history, which defines the future route of AMD GPUs.

However seeing that almost all of the rest of the cards have been leaked to be complete rebrand, already disappoints me a lot. So all hope lies in Fury.

who cares...

A card that will be abled to step up to the Titan X and kick its butt while being less expensive. Also a good energy efficiency and low heat output/ noise level would be nice. Fury should just in general be a milestone in AMDs GPU history, which defines the future route of AMD GPUs.

However seeing that almost all of the rest of the cards have been leaked to be complete rebrand, already disappoints me a lot. So all hope lies in Fury.

You're expecting too much. Efficiency competitive with Maxwell would require a completely new architecture. You're going to be disappointed, but mostly because your expectations are far above what they have the resources for. HBM should definitely help, though. Most likely, we're looking at slightly less performance than Titan X with ~20% more power. That said, Maxwell's power efficiency tanks when you overclock it, while GCN's tends to scale a bit better.

So much for 30k Fiji cards only. What a joke.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You're expecting too much. Efficiency competitive with Maxwell would require a completely new architecture. You're going to be disappointed, but mostly because your expectations are far above what they have the resources for. HBM should definitely help, though. Most likely, we're looking at slightly less performance than Titan X with ~20% more power. That said, Maxwell's power efficiency tanks when you overclock it, while GCN's tends to scale a bit better.

We (or at least i) know nothing about the Fury chip itself. I allways thought that the R9 290X with it's ~4000 cores was the maximum that 28 nm could do. I'm interested to see what Fury is made of (certainly also 28 nm, but so is maxwell).

Yeah i know, I'm asking for a lot, but AMD does have to deliver a lot in order to not get eaten my Nvidia in the next few quarters. AMD's CPU department is struggling enough already.

who cares...

We (or at least i) know nothing about the Fury chip itself. I allways thought that the R9 290X with it's ~4000 cores was the maximum that 28 nm could do. I'm interested to see what Fury is made of (certainly also 28 nm, but so is maxwell).

Yeah i know, I'm asking for a lot, but AMD does have to deliver a lot in order to not get eaten my Nvidia in the next few quarters. AMD's CPU department is struggling enough already.

290X has 2816 SPs. Fiji has 4096 SPs.

Actually, if the TDPs given are accurate and the performance is on par with the Titan X, it's only 10% less efficient. That's really good, all things considered. It's a question of heat though. Granted, it's not like GM200's heat output is low in the first place; it's exactly where you'd expect it to be in a high-end card.

Actually, if the TDPs given are accurate and the performance is on par with the Titan X, it's only 10% less efficient. That's really good, all things considered. It's a question of heat though. Granted, it's not like GM200's heat output is low in the first place; it's exactly where you'd expect it to be in a high-end card.

I didn't know about the Fury TDP (275W, just googled it). Seems to be cool (literally). Especially compared to the 290X's 250W TDP. A step forward, finally. Can't wait to see a Linus review of the card.

who cares...

Fury X is looking to be cheaper than the Titan X for about the same performance, so the small disparity in pure performance/watt should really be a non-factor if you'r well-off enough to even be considering spending this money on a flagship GPU.

And heat output on the Fury shouldn't be a problem either. The photo leaks are showing quite a thick rad coupled with what looks to be a seriously overkill Gentle Typhoon. I think AMD learnt their lesson from the horrible ref. coolers they implemented on their last single GPU flagships. Good on them I say.

I didn't know about the Fury TDP (275W, just googled it). Seems to be cool (literally). Especially compared to the 290X's 250W TDP. A step forward, finally. Can't wait to see a Linus review of the card.

The Nano is going to be even more insane it seems. (Nano is an air-cooled mITX form-factor card.) Twice the efficiency of the 290X they say.

Need more HBM numbers how it actually performs in games etc. I would like to see it's full potential, maybe in future games.

I want to know how it performs with same size vs old memory.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The Nano is going to be even more insane it seems. (Nano is an air-cooled mITX form-factor card.) Twice the efficiency of the 290X they say.

efficiency per watt, yeah. lower power req. + higher performance is probably going to be twice the performance per watt which is believable.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

and just like that, the 30000 Fury limit rumor comes back to life

also this:

• Fiji - 128GB/s per stack x 4 = 512GB/s
  • 390X = 384GB/s

if Fury(X) is nothing short of a miracle, this will bite them in the arse, hard!! they were so adamant on putting HBM1 on that chip ...  -_-

Theres more to it than just that; HBM takes less space on a PCB making it easier to put a bigger Graphics chip on the PCB without the memory taking up all the room and it also makes the TDP lower which is something AMD has to be concerned about compared to Maxwell I mean if it makes a 50w difference that's 20% of say Titan X's TDP right there... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas