Tips for Staying Safe While Working on Computers

dont lick batteries while holding a titan x.

besides that your good. 

edit: serious answer, just avoid static electricity and you're golden. work on wood and you will be fine, if your working on a customers PC ground yourself. and do not put components ONTOP of the shielding they come in

Work with ESD's in mind.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

-Occasionally ground yourself

-Don't lick anything

-Brute force is usually not the correct answer

-Don't do anything Linus has ever done.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

make sure you always have at least an inch of water on the floor, ensure all electrical outlets are exposed, have pc float on a small raft.

and click all the free competition ads you come across.

/s

LOL

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

The best way to stay safe is to always wear rubber...............................gloves, no chance of ESD. :D

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

dont lick batteries while holding a titan x.

besides that your good. 

edit: serious answer, just avoid static electricity and you're golden. work on wood and you will be fine, if your working on a customers PC ground yourself. and do not put components ONTOP of the shielding they come in

I always put my components on top of the bags. I think it's totally fine.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

the bags work by channeling the static AROUND the bag, the outside is coated in conductive material. parts so well built nowadays, that it probably is fine, and if it did die, you would just RMA it anyway, but just how the bags physically work, your jumping connections and solders and such. 

Never eat 30 mins befor working on a build.Or you will get cramps.

Just make sure that you don't set the server room on fire. :P

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

But linus is love, linus is life...how can i deny the genius and all round perfection?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Setting your motherboard on the bag is fine just don't test on. The bag. Also handle any and pcb boards by the edges avoid touching capaciters. For handling your motherboard hold onto the edges and and one hand one the heat sinks

And do what other people say and you are good

One final warning do not open the power supply it is a serious piece of hardware and can't seriously electricute you

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Take your socks off and don't drool or sneeze on your components. Follow these easy steps and you too could have a fully-functioning computer, even on a carpet!

-Occasionally ground yourself

-Don't lick anything

He grounds himself from time to time, does that mean I should or shouldn't ground myself? Make up your mind!/jk

No seriously, has grounding ever saved someone? I mean if they even noticed. Don't say well they're alive. :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

He grounds himself from time to time, does that mean I should or shouldn't ground myself? Make up your mind!

No seriously, has grounding ever saved someone? I mean if they even noticed. Don't say well they're alive. :D

Static electricity doesn't really kill anyone anyways.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Static electricity doesn't really kill anyone anyways.

Exactly my point.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

He grounds himself from time to time, does that mean I should or shouldn't ground myself? Make up your mind!/jk

the thing with grounding is you never notice it until it's to late, the chance is small but why take the risk?

in his build logs linus always wears a grounding armband around his ankle, it's one of the few risks even he doesnt take

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

use protection.
seriously. Wear a anti static strap

I just felt like I needed somthing here

ESD bags are conductive on the outside.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

use protection.

seriously. Wear a anti static strap

And if you suffer from dry skin, make sure your skin is moist or the strap will not work.

Turn the PC off before you alter that wire, seriously.

Just do it, you'll save your fingers from spinning fan blades.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS