Bad news... I got scammed :(

GrimNeo

So I have some bad news. I got scammed yesterday around this time. A person called my parents house saying they were with the Sheriff's office. They told my dad that I missed jury duty and I was in contempt of court. Told my dad I would be arrested for missing it. My dad got nervous and called me about it. I told him I was not going to call and look into it. Dad then came over to my house and called the person and told me I had to talk with the deputy. I was really pissed at my dad. This guy said he received a warrant from the judge about me missing jury duty. I let him know I check the mail everyday and that I never received it. He told me it was sent on 05/20/15 and my court date was 06/08/15 at 9am. I told the guy I never got the mail so how could I be in trouble. He told me that a warrant was out for my arrest and that I need to go to court on 06/24/15 at 9am. He had the right name and information down about the judge in my county. Even gave me the phone number for the sheriffs office. He told me I can either be placed in custody or pay the bond set by the judge as a good faith payment. Then I would go to court and if found not guilty get my money back. I asked if court called and he said on 06/02/15. Which no calls were made and then he told me it was not his area. I did not want to be in jail till 06/24/15. He asked me to get him a recharge card from a grocery store. I bought the card with cash and gave him the information on it. I have never been in trouble with the law. My dad told me to pay it so I don't get arrested. After I got off the phone with this scammer. I called my attorney and he told me it was a jury duty scam. I called the card company and a card was sent to Oregon. I told them card was stolen and they want me to fax proof I bought the card and then I would get the money back. I just filed a police report and a report with the attorney general. I called the court and they said I had no court date and that I got scammed. Basically I lost $280. Now you ask what the bad news is. Well the $280 was money I set aside for my Nvidia/AMD giveaway on here. I am truly sorry I fell victim to this scam. If you guys don't mind I will have to postpone the AMD giveaway for a month or so. Hopefully I can get the money back. I feel like a moron for even falling for this scam. Just wanted to let you guys know. I did not want to be arrested and I just got caught up in the moment. Well take care.

Lets make this clear. I am just telling you I was scammed. I know it is my fault. I called the cops and they confirmed the person's badge number and name. They also would not tell me if I had a warrant out for my arrest but they would pick me up if I did. No use beating a dead horse saying it is your fault. I am not asking for anyone to feel sorry. Also looked it up and the information the person giving me was correct about missing jury duty. Court said it is an offense but they would not ask for money over the phone.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

He asked me to get him a recharge card from a grocery store. I bought the card with cash and gave him the information on it. 

Alarm bells would be going off in my head at that point. Why would he make you do that when you normally go to the court and pay it in cash/card?.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

What sort of sheriff's office wants money in recharge cards? And has the power of just canceling a court appearance upon receiving cash?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That sucks. You are trying to do a good thing, but the bad people actually fooled you. It's only 280 bucks, but just always know, they will get what's coming to them and money is just money in the end. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Well we can only hope such people get shot or something...

I felt sorry, right up until I saw recharge card, at that point ... Well, without insulting you, you should've seen it from a mile off, something is wrong if alarm bells don't ring as soon as they want you to pay in recharge cards.

Sorry to say this and once again sorry for being rude,but you stooped.You should never trust anyone on the phones unless you got real evidence like a letter or email and even if you think is real first you make some calls to ensure it,even if you have to call 10 different numbers.This is 100% your fault

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Welp first things first is call the police or jury to confirm if you are really in trouble. Like for real lol. If you haven't done anything and you know you haven't done anything. You can confirm if the officer or sheriff is real by calling 911 and asking them if there is XXX person who is in the system.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

If I were you I would just not do the giveaway at all anymore.

Alarm bells would be going off in my head at that point. Why would he make you do that when you normally go to the court and pay it in cash/card?.

I have never been to the court so how would I know this.

What sort of sheriff's office wants money in recharge cards? And has the power of just canceling a court appearance upon receiving cash?

None. It was my fault. He did not say he would stop it. He said the judge would if I agreed to pay the pre-set bond. Said the judge said I was a good person and that I would still have to go to court but would be willing to lift the warrant.

That sucks. You are trying to do a good thing, but the bad people actually fooled you. It's only 280 bucks, but just always know, they will get what's coming to them and money is just money in the end. 

It happens. I will get the money back. The cops just called the card company and gave them the report. The money was not used. Just a lesson learned.

Well we can only hope such people get shot or something...

indeed.

I felt sorry, right up until I saw recharge card, at that point ... Well, without insulting you, you should've seen it from a mile off, something is wrong if alarm bells don't ring as soon as they want you to pay in recharge cards.

I would not know. Never been in trouble with the law or court system. Plus I called the sheriff's office and asked them if I had a warrant out for my arrest. They said we can't give that out over the phone.

Sorry to say this and once again sorry for being rude,but you stooped.You should never trust anyone on the phones unless you got real evidence like a letter or email and even if you think is real first you make some calls to ensure it,even if you have to call 10 different numbers.This is 100% your fault

I never said it was not my fault. Also I did call the sheriffs office and they told me they are not allowed to tell me if I have a warrant or not. I assumed I did because of that answer.

Welp first things first is call the police or jury to confirm if you are really in trouble. Like for real lol. If you haven't done anything and you know you haven't done anything. You can confirm if the officer or sheriff is real by calling 911 and asking them if there is XXX person who is in the system.

Called the cops :(. He was using a real cops badge number and name. The police confirmed this.

If I were you I would just not do the giveaway at all anymore.

I might. I really don't know at this point.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I might. I really don't know at this point.

Not just for this reason btw..... but I won't speak the reasons here.

Not just for this reason btw..... but I won't speak the reasons here.

I know what your talking about.

I know what your talking about.

Yep.....

Don't worry I don't feel bad.

Here is the number 1 rule in life. Heed it well.

IF THE POLICE WANT TO TALK TO YOU THEY WILL FIND YOU IN PERSON.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

What do you want he explicitly told us to not feel bad :P

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

this reminds of me of the tax scam I was exposed to a while ago.  It was this indian guy on the phone stating that my dad didn't pay a bunch of taxes and was going to get arrested for evasion...LOL!!  I did some googling around and found out it was a popular scam.  So! the next time they called,  I let them have it.  I guess this kind of scam works with old people that don't know any better.

280 dollars is a lot for some people.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What do you want he explicitly told us to not feel bad :P

Well I read now that he edited that so okay that joke can pass....

Don't you think OP already knows the truth? Don't you think it's a dickhead move to say sorry but go ahead and state the obvious anyway?

This is why I advised against giving away the GPU's. The community is unlikeable. Maybe the first comment would be able to be let go, but you and yoinkerman behind it and yoinkerman with a snide remark.

Hey I meant every word. The police will find you if they need to.

280 dollars is a lot for some people.

I know, I was just saying. Could have been worse.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Yeah......if you miss jury duty you don't get a fine, they come to your house and get you and bring you to jury duty. That's actually one of their jobs as a sherrifs office, to ensure people show up for court business. If you can't get a ride to jury duty, you can call them and request a ride and they have to provide you with one.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hey I meant every word. The police will find you if they need to.

Yeah I know, but that's not the issue.

And this is the reason I don't pick up the phone unless it's a number I know. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Bah, that was just a $280 fee for a lesson in fraud... I am sure formal educational institutes charge more than that.

J/K, I know it sucks... but you tell your story so it might not happen to another.  ;)

common decency is not out of place because i don't do things i know they are wrong ESPECIALLY insulting someone by any means and when i do and i realize it i apologize because i know i am wrong .I didn't call him names for no reason and i did it on purpose as i do with all my friends so maybe it will get him motivated not to do it again.I know he is mad and i would be the same for loosing money.I feel bad for him even more when he is kind and didn't want to keep that cash for himself but for the giveaway.

One more thing "stating something that everybody alreadys knows is just useles" is not,he will get motivated not to do it again and that i learned by myself for getting the same treatment from my friends.

Let's be honest, the scam alone learned him the lesson, you don't have to pound it in for good measure.