Sony announces new cameras!

Sony has just unleashed its new a7R II mirrorless camera, a followup to the highly-regarded a7R. The new camera features the world’s first back-illuminated full frame CMOS sensor, which shoots 42.4 megapixel photos at up to ISO 102400.

Sony is the worldwide leader in digital imaging sensors right now — it was behind 40% of all sensors sold in 2014 — and the Japanese company has packed the best of what it offers inside this new flagship full-frame mirrorless body.

In addition to high-resolution and fantastic low-light sensitivity, the camera has a 40% faster autofocus response time compared to the a7R, thanks to the help of 399 phase detection AF points and 25 contrast points. Sony says the backside illumination allows the camera to have both high resolution and high speed/sensitivity, instead of having to choose one or the other.

The design also improves data processing speed. Sony says files are sent out from the sensor 3.5x faster than in the original a7R.

Inside the camera is also the same 5-axis image stabilization system found in the a7 II, a shutter that reduces vibration by 50% and has a lifespan of 500,000 shots, and the lack of an optical low pass filter for optimal sharpness and clarity.

On the video front, the Sony a7R II can shoot 4K video in multiple formats, including Super 35mm and full frame. Functions that support a professional video workflow include Picture Profile, S-Log2 Gamma and S-Gamut, 120fps high frame rate movie shooting in HD (720p), time code, clean HDMI output and more.

Other features include a silent shooting mode, a 0.78x viewfinder magnification, a rugged magnesium alloy build, a mode dial locking mechanism, and Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity.

The Sony a7R II will be available starting in August 2015 with a price tag of $3,200.

Along with the new Sony A7R II, they've also released a new RX100M4 and an RX10M2.

I know for sure my next camera is gonna be a Sony.

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/sony-a7r-ii-the-worlds-first-back-illuminated-35mm-full-frame-sensor-and-4k/

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/dkw5/index.html?contentsTop=1

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-announces-the-new-a7rii-rx10m2-and-rx100m4/

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

nvm

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

that's the Sony RX100 MK4. Not the Sony A7RII.

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Well damn.

Pretty expensive too, although most high-end cameras are...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

that's the Sony RX100 MK4. Not the Sony A7RII.

Oh, I saw one of the links mention the RX100 MK4, apologies!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well damn.

Pretty expensive too, although most high-end cameras are...

it's amazing to think that not long ago, their cameras were not as great. But now they're just beating Canon and Nikon slowly :P

Oh, I saw one of the links mention the RX100 MK4, apologies!

no problem :)

Old Rig

it's amazing to think that not long ago, their cameras were not as great. But now they're just beating Canon and Nikon slowly :P

no problem :)

Yeah, I wonder if they'll be able to bring down the prices of DSLRs a bit :P

Maybe then I could get a decent one for general use and maybe some 1080p 60fps video recording :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

was planing on getting a 7d mkII, but i think i might save up a bit more. The a7r II looks to be an amazing camera at absolutely everything. Internal 4k, 42 megapixels, full frame in body stabilized sensor, great low light performance, and a bunch of other awesome things. I have to say, even at $3200 this looks very appealing. I think this just killed canons cinema line.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The a7r2 is an interesting one. I wonder how it'll do against the a7s for video. I'm pretty sure people are upset that they bought the a72 now the r2 was announced.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Most interesting camera in my mind would be the Sony RX10 Mk2. 

From the specs it looks like an absolute beast of a run and gun camera. 

4k with S-Log 2 and XAVC S codec, 240fps slow-mo in 1080, 24-200mm (35mm equiv) 2.8 power zoom, Built in ND's, tilt screen and headphone port.  

Who needs the canon XC-10 when this guy exists. 

100% SOLD on the A7R mk2, definitely getting it 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Should check out this overview by Tony Northrup. It's not a full review since the camera isn't out yet but he goes into great detail about what is known so far. (I recommend his channel in general if you're into photography, he has a ton of great content. Truly unbiased and one of the best photography channels IMO.)

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Better wait for a a7s II which might be on its way

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Better wait for a a7s II which might be on its way

Eeh... That would be thinking the same way like with GPUs that could be coming in a year, and as new ones are already launched, people are already saying to wait until the next year's tech, and again, and again, and again... endlessly. Basically you'll never be upgrading with that mind set. Same goes for cameras in this case: we have no idea if a7s II is coming out or not, but if it is, it's not coming in at least a year after a7R II's release or some similar time frame, seeing as a7R II is just announced, and some want / need the performance now, so why wait?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Eeh... That would be thinking the same way like with GPUs that could be coming in a year, and as new ones are already launched, people are already saying to wait until the next year's tech, and again, and again, and again... endlessly. Basically you'll never be upgrading with that mind set. Same goes for cameras in this case: we have no idea if a7s II is coming out or not, but if it is, it's not coming in at least a year after a7R II's release or some similar time frame, seeing as a7R II is just announced, and some want / need the performance now, so why wait?

He has the a7R mkI and when the a7S came he said(IRC) "if i knew it would be this good i would have waited." Ater seeing it's low light performance.

Altough i didint know the exact time frame between the a7R and a7S, altough with 1y+ i understand its tempting to upgrade but the a7R mkI should be fine for an other few years i guess.

hopefully @ShadowCaptain keeps that in mind.

He has the a7R mkI and when the a7S came he said(IRC) "if i knew it would be this good i would have waited." Ater seeing it's low light performance.

Altough i didint know the exact time frame between the a7R and a7S, altough with 1y+ i understand its tempting to upgrade but the a7R mkI should be fine for an other few years i guess.

hopefully @ShadowCaptain keeps that in mind.

Doesn't @ShadowCaptain use a7 Mk. I? I'm sure he wouldn't buy every single model that came out... Like the a7R came out about at the same time as a7 did if I remember correctly, and the only advantage a7R really had was higher resolution, everything else was better on a7.

It's up to him to decide if he needs an upgrade or not. It's his thoughts, his money, and his choices.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Doesn't @ShadowCaptain use a7 Mk. I? I'm sure he wouldn't buy every single model that came out... Like the a7R came out about at the same time as a7 did if I remember correctly, and the only advantage a7R really had was higher resolution, everything else was better on a7.

It's up to him to decide if he needs an upgrade or not. It's his thoughts, his money, and his choices.

Im not sure anymore, though he had that in his signature a while back, but yeah u are right, his money and his choice in the end.

SNIP

SNIP

I use an A7 mk1 - Want to switch the the A7r II, the A7s doesnt interest me, I really want the detail and resolution of the A7r, the R mk2 should have decent low light anyway with its use of a BSI sensor etc

but 100% I am upgrading, going to sell my gaming laptop and A7 to fund it, I know somebody who works for sony so I can get £1100 off the camera reducing it from £2800 to £1700 (roughly)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

was planing on getting a 7d mkII, but i think i might save up a bit more. The a7r II looks to be an amazing camera at absolutely everything. Internal 4k, 42 megapixels, full frame in body stabilized sensor, great low light performance, and a bunch of other awesome things. I have to say, even at $3200 this looks very appealing. I think this just killed canons cinema line.

Canon's cinema line was already dead. Ursa mini killed it and the A7s as well.