XBox One Wireless controller with PC support coming this fall (with voice chat support)

GoodBytes

Well then, channel superfun of either Linus or Luke with the Steam controller, vs the other with a standard KBM.

Problem is that the person using the steam controller would have to spend weeks honing their skills in order to make it fair vs kb&mouse which is ingrained in us... Don't think anybody expects it to beat mouse precision anyway.

For those saying DS4 I can honestly say that that the ds4 battery is dreadful next to a couple rechargable AAs in an xbo con.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

For those saying DS4 I can honestly say that that the ds4 battery is dreadful next to a couple rechargable AAs in an xbo con.

If you turn the light off when its connected to your PC the battery lasts 5x longer.... maybe more.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I think part of the reason that you feel like that (I do too) is because when I use a controller on a console, I'm against others who are using a controller, and on the pc i'm against others who are using kb/m so my relative skill is the same since the input method is also the same.

Played shooters on my PC with a controller against people using keyboard and mouse and I consistently did just as well with it as I do with keyboard and mouse. Also played a few games using my Shield Portable online against people, nothing changed.

You can't get precision with a joystick, smooth movements sure, but aim-assist will mess with your aiming in most console games.

Turn that off and then tell me about precision xD.

You learn how to fight the aim assist problems. I'll be honest i've never really played a game without aim assist, but as long as you have a controller that isn't worn out you can actually make very minute movements.

I dunno guys, I just feel very... fluent I guess would be a good word with both keyboard and mouse and controllers. I'm not the best around but it does seem I am equally as good with either one. Now am I saying just because I am everyone should be? Nah. I'm just... kinda tired of hearing people saying keyboard and mouse is superior to controllers. For most games it really just kinda depends, some games play better on a controller. Some games play better on keyboard and mouse. But the games that are equally fine with either are well... equally fine with either and it really depends on what someone wants to use at the time. One input method is not really superior to the other.

-snip-

That's quite interesting. What FPS games do you recommend for the PC? I tried COD ghosts and AW but they were both dead (not many active players) on the pc. Im thinking of getting back into BF3 if there are enough people. I know counterstrike is a popular one but is it very competitive or difficult to play with a controller?

360 pad adapter is plug and play

I have to manually select drivers.

The wireless adapter had some weird stuff that needed to be set up for it to work. Maybe not software, but it never worked for me. I just got a wired controller in the end because it was such a pain for me. 

I hope the drivers and software for this one aren't complete crap like the 360 version. That thing was a massive pain to get working. 

You probably got one of the fake copies..

That's quite interesting. What FPS games do you recommend for the PC? I tried COD ghosts and AW but they were both dead (not many active players) on the pc. Im thinking of getting back into BF3 if there are enough people. I know counterstrike is a popular one but is it very competitive or difficult to play with a controller?

Titanfall was one of them that I played a lot with all three (keyboard and mouse, controller, and Shield) and was consistent with where I placed. Uh. CoD I know would work, fine but all I have is Blops 2. I only tried that once or twice on my Shield and while it wasn't super fun, I wasn't really having a good day either. Battlefield I can see being good with a controller though i've stuck to keyboard and mouse for that one so far. I wouldn't play something like Quake or CS with a controller though, I assume neither have aim assist for one and that is one of the games I would expect the mouse to reign supreme.

After I thought about it, yea there's a few games like that where you wouldn't wanna use a controller because the people using keyboard and mouse are just insane. The games where more, everyone is sorta at a balanced skill level are ones where the method of control doesn't matter so much. I have no experience playing CS but i'm pretty sure i'd do much worse than normal playing Quake Live with a controller. And I suppose you would be a little more limited, rocket jumping and the like being much harder to pull off as fluidly with a controller. So alright I guess there are some cases where my comments are wrong but I do believe for the most part, especially if you stick to games from the past 4 years or so your method of controlling the game should not matter in the slightest.

Blops 2 still has a decent playerbase it seems. GTA V of course, BF3 and 4 are good bets and probably Hardline too. Quake Live still has players... uh... that's all I can think of right now. I'd personally love to see Halo make a return to PC. Halo 1 was great but I doubt it has many players anymore. I mostly played Custom Edition anyway. Halo 2 I don't believe works anymore due to GFWL being not a thing anymore.

You learn how to fight the aim assist problems. I'll be honest i've never really played a game without aim assist, but as long as you have a controller that isn't worn out you can actually make very minute movements.

One of my friends tried to play CoD 4 on PC with an Xbox controller, and his aim was all over the place xD.

The only game that I know of where you can turn aim-assist off is Doom 3 I think.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

One of my friends tried to play CoD 4 on PC with an Xbox controller, and his aim was all over the place xD.

The only game that I know of where you can turn aim-assist off is Doom 3 I think.

There's plenty of older games that do, especially on the console, but yea it isn't really a thing you see much anymore on newer games. Before xinput was a thing I don't think too many games had aim assist on the PC nor were they too friendly with letting you use a controller half the time anyway. But yea. lol.