1080p?

Go to solution Solved by ivhyn,

Back when the Next Gen consoles came out, Linus & Luke showed that they actually ran at 792p, and not 1080p.

Do both consoles still run at 792p? Or are they actually running most games on 1080p now?

Which games do run at 1080? What's changed???

That 792p bs was just a few games and was blown out of proportion by PC mustards.

Here's a complete list:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Xbone is still pretty shitty though

Back when the Next Gen consoles came out, Linus & Luke showed that they actually ran at 792p, and not 1080p.

Do both consoles still run at 792p? Or are they actually running most games on 1080p now?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

That 792p bs was just a few games and was blown out of proportion by PC mustards.

Here's a complete list:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

144Hz goodness

Here's a complete list:

OMG I've been looking for something like this FOREVER!! Thank you SO much!! :-D

So all the "upscaling" from 792p and blurry images is bullshit?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

OMG I've been looking for something like this FOREVER!! Thank you SO much!! :-D

Well, upscaling is obviously never as good as a native res, but the "ermagherd I can't play cuz all dem pixels are missing" is just, sorry, retarded.

144Hz goodness

Every game runs at a different resolution,  but not that many run at 1080p.

No, it's 100% true, but not for every game.

Personally I find the low framerate a lot more offputting.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, upscaling is obviously never as good as a native res, but the "ermagherd I can't play cuz all dem pixels are missing" is just, sorry, retarded.

dis^

and either way, unfortunately no one should rlly be expecting 1080p 60fps gaming for most modern titles on consoles at this point anyway :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yeah because having aliasing bigger than some of the objects on the screen is totally an enjoyable experience.

Yeah because having aliasing bigger than some of the objects on the screen is totally an enjoyable experience.

I think you'd find that some actually would agree with that statement

Resolution isn't going to directly affect the enjoyment of a game like frame rate does

I'm playing mgs4 right now, it is totally an enjoyable experience, despite rubbing at 1024x768

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I think you'd find that some actually would agree with that statement

Resolution isn't going to directly affect the enjoyment of a game like frame rate does

I'm playing mgs4 right now, it is totally an enjoyable experience, despite rubbing at 1024x768

I played the PS3 version of GTAV and I found it basically unplayable. The resolution was so low that I literally couldn't make out objects. Not just details, but literally the distance you could be from an object before it was literally the size of the pixels that made it up was pathetic. The framerate was terrible that driving is awful. You very easily find yourself out-pacing the refresh rate.

So obviously they are both important, but gaming at less than 1080p is something that should not exist. 1080p has been the standard for a decade now. It is the bare minimum that you should expect in 2015, and I think people are absolutely right to bring it up as an issue.

The fact that we find ourselves in the position of having to choose between supporting HD and being able to maintain 30fps is pretty pathetic.

I played the PS3 version of GTAV and I found it basically unplayable. The resolution was so low that I literally couldn't make out objects. Not just details, but literally the distance you could be from an object before it was literally the size of the pixels that made it up was pathetic. The framerate was terrible that driving is awful. You very easily find yourself out-pacing the refresh rate.

So obviously they are both important, but gaming at less than 1080p is something that should not exist. 1080p has been the standard for a decade now. It is the bare minimum that you should expect in 2015, and I think people are absolutely right to bring it up as an issue.

The fact that we find ourselves in the position of having to choose between supporting HD and being able to maintain 30fps is pretty pathetic.

I'd agree with gta v on last gen, but I think that was entirely the fault of the game rate, gta was in full 720p. I don't think there is a viable complaint to full 720 on a last gen console, but I thought the frame rate was unacceptable.

In order to tell me that fun cannot be had below 1080p you'd have to tell me it's impossible to enjoy a PS2 game.

Personally I just thunk is too binary too say a certain resolution is the line at which it goes from good to bad, when the iq improvement from resolution increase is a diminishing gains relation. Playing at 720 reduces how much I like a game very little. When I play witcher on my monitor I play it at 19x12, but when I play it on my tv I play it at 768p because that's native res, and the game doesn't become worse from that

Your last paragraph is a bit fiddly as most games don't have to choose, the vast majority of current gen console games are 1080p,and most run 30fps with little if any deviation from it

Destiny

Shadow of Mordor

GTA V

and so on

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

So obviously they are both important, but gaming at less than 1080p is something that should not exist. 1080p has been the standard for a decade now. It is the bare minimum that you should expect in 2015, and I think people are absolutely right to bring it up as an issue.

If you find 720p un readable or unplayable i would hate to see you trying to play any games before the hd era. Your missing out on a good generation of gaming. 

If you find 720p un readable or unplayable i would hate to see you trying to play any games before the hd era. Your missing out on a good generation of gaming. 

I'm sorry. I missed the high speed racing section of MegaMan 2.

You guys are also missing the massive effect not playing on a non-native resolution on an LCD. Playing a PS2 on a CRT was way better because they don't suffer the same interpolation shittiness as LCDs. That's a huge reason why the aliasing is the same size as the street lights.

dat cinematic 30 fps tho...

I said it many times and will say it again: high framerates are nice, but on consoles it's not a must in my opinion (mainly because no mouse input) - and that comes from a guy who plays on a 144Hz monitor. I'd rather have a stable 30fps than anything above it that isn't stable (and many PC games just don't give >60FPS all the time unless you invest into serious hardware or turn down settings).

144Hz goodness

I said it many times and will say it again: high framerates are nice, but on consoles it's not a must in my opinion (mainly because no mouse input) - and that comes from a guy who plays on a 144Hz monitor. I'd rather have a stable 30fps than anything above it that isn't stable (and many PC games just don't give >60FPS all the time unless you invest into serious hardware or turn down settings).

Quite agreed.

On consoles, the most important thing about framerate is for it to be consistent more than anything else. If your game can hold a consistent 60fps, superb - if it drops below that somewhat often, better locking it to 30 most of the time. For story-based games or games in which the gameplay doesn't require pinpoint accuracy and superhuman reaction times, a consistent 30fps should be a perfectly adequate experience. 60fps is obviously better, but it's not an absolute requirement for me.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff