[OC3D] Thermaltake is copying more than just CaseLabs products

CtW

I just have to question about the lcd fan controller and waterblocks, I mean, really? There's only so many different ways you can make these things look, and those look pretty different anyways.

The cases are definitely taken, the fan controller maybe (again, only so many ways can you do it), but the rest seem like they're grasping at straws here trying to find products that look slightly similar just so they can claim that those were copied too.

pic2.jpg

This was actually in team with swiftech for sure.

But the fittings were never in partnership with EK as far as I know:

main_90DegreeAdapter_s.jpg

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

That would depend on if your product is actually revolutionary or not. If it's revolutionary it should have a patent. If it's not revolutionary in a way warranting a patent, then everyone will know about it and not buy a knockoff.

Caselabs cases are only revolutionary because they're steel cases who aren't afraid to be boring. Anyone can be boring, and any case can be steel. They're not just capitalizing on caselabs success , they're trying to create their own success. If caselabs can't handle the incumbent competitor, then that isn't my problem.

Wouldn't you agree that a monopoly would be worse than having competition? Because all thermaltake is doing right now (in regards to caselabs) is ending a monopoly and creating a market.

You forget that in other cases (no pun intended) that other products that are 'copies' per say are done by consent of the original designer. Competition is fine but out right copying somebody else is wrong.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That would depend on if your product is actually revolutionary or not. If it's revolutionary it should have a patent. If it's not revolutionary in a way warranting a patent, then everyone will know about it and not buy a knockoff.

Caselabs cases are only revolutionary because they're steel cases who aren't afraid to be boring. Anyone can be boring, and any case can be steel. They're not just capitalizing on caselabs success , they're trying to create their own success. If caselabs can't handle the incumbent competitor, then that isn't my problem.

Wouldn't you agree that a monopoly would be worse than having competition? Because all thermaltake is doing right now (in regards to caselabs) is ending a monopoly and creating a market.

I would be ok with Thermaltake coming out with competitors to CaseLab's products if they actually put some innovation into the products that differentiates it from the product it's going up against rather than making it a blatant ripoff with a worse interior. They could have at least changed the exterior designs of the thing! Also, stealing someone's design and putting out a product that undercuts it in price and quality only, is clearly them trying to capitalize off of the success that case labs is having!

I just have to question about the lcd fan controller and waterblocks, I mean, really? There's only so many different ways you can make these things look, and those look pretty different anyways.

The cases are definitely taken, the fan controller maybe (again, only so many ways can you do it), but the rest seem like they're grasping at straws here trying to find products that look slightly similar just so they can claim that those were copied too.

I'm surprised that the article didn't mention the other clear ripoffs that TT has made in the form of their water blocks and some fittings. Their water block looks exactly like the swiftech apogee Xl, so much so that you have to wonder if it's just a re-brand, and their angled fittings look exactly like the ones that EK is making. i do agree though, that the whole water-block and fan controller thing is a bit far-fetched. 

I'd be fine with it if it wasn't hidden, like saying it was "inspired by brand X model Y". That way the original maker gets some publicity and the buyer can make an informed decision.

-snip-

This was actually in team with swiftech for sure.

But the fittings were never in partnership with EK as far as I know:

-snip-

I was talking about their gpu blocks when I said that, didn't know there were others.

Only so many ways to make a 90o fitting look lol

Like 5 minutes on google and it looks like bitspower and alphacool have some very siomilar looking ones as well.

If ek is making one exactly like that though, with the flat face angled like that, then yeah I'll concede that.

I just don't like that people have seemed to decide that absolutely everything Thermaltake has is stolen and seem to have set out to prove it, even with the stuff that clearly isn't (that lcd fan controller? come on people)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I was talking about their gpu blocks when I said that, didn't know there were others.

Only so many ways to make a 90o fitting look lol

Like 5 minutes on google and it looks like bitspower and alphacool have some very siomilar looking ones as well.

If ek is making one exactly like that though, with the flat face angled like that, then yeah I'll concede that.

I just don't like that people have seemed to decide that absolutely everything Thermaltake has is stolen and seem to have set out to prove it, even with the stuff that clearly isn't (that lcd fan controller? come on people)

Yeah, EK has a very specific way they did their 90o  fittings, the angle isn't 100% the same but still its eh debatable and will start issues, apparently there is another CPU block from Thermaltake that is coming out that is very similar to the Heatkiller CPU Block. 

main.jpg

heatkiller3lt-1l.jpg

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Yeah, EK has a very specific way they did their 90o  fittings, the angle isn't 100% the same but still its eh debatable and will start issues, apparently there is another CPU block from Thermaltake that is coming out that is very similar to the Heatkiller CPU Block. 

main.jpg

heatkiller3lt-1l.jpg

Well now you're just grasping at straws.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Well now you're just grasping at straws.

I was never the one that pointed it out DazMode did, Which his video on this whole situation as he deals with alot more watercooling gear then OC3D does.

|King Of The Lost|

I was never the one that pointed it out DazMode did, Which his video on this whole situation as he deals with alot more watercooling gear then OC3D does.

he was referring to the one that was made by raijintek i believe.

I'd be fine with it if it wasn't hidden, like saying it was "inspired by brand X model Y". That way the original maker gets some publicity and the buyer can make an informed decision.

For the record, some companies do what Thermaltake just did - think Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

he was referring to the one that was made by raijintek i believe.

Yeah That one *facepalm* I forgot it was them

|King Of The Lost|

They can copy all they want but at the end of the day the quality of the product is going to be shit.

Example : My case (Thermaltake Urban T81) is a fantastic case but the quality of it sucks.

Plastic.. Plastic everywhere..

My $40 NZXT case was better in quality than the Thermaltake case, If I may add I paid $170 for the Thermaltake case.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

@CtW brainless sensationalist bandwagoneering: the Fractal Design R4/R5 is essentially the same as the Nanoxia Deep Silence series, and they were making them a hell of a lot longer than Fractal. 2007, to be precise. If ANYONE is being copied, it's Nanoxia, and both Fractal and TT  would be guilty.

But they aren't.

Because it's a fucking black box. And while it's unconfirmed, it's highly likely that Nanoxia PRODUCED it FOR Fractal.

And after this, I'll buy 19 Thermaltake cases and bathe in them, because they're brilliant at case layout. Core V21 was pretty much the best new case of all 2014.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

@Enderman Didn't you post a video about this too?

I linked Dazmode's video about this

He showed a lot of the TT products that were exact copies

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For the record, some companies do what Thermaltake just did - think Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.

Be specific

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@CtW brainless sensationalist bandwagoneering: the Fractal Design R4/R5 is essentially the same as the Nanoxia Deep Silence series, and they were making them a hell of a lot longer than Fractal. 2007, to be precise. If ANYONE is being copied, it's Nanoxia, and both Fractal and TT  would be guilty.

But they aren't.

Because it's a fucking black box. And while it's unconfirmed, it's highly likely that Nanoxia PRODUCED it FOR Fractal.

And after this, I'll buy 19 Thermaltake cases and bathe in them, because they're brilliant at case layout. Core V21 was pretty much the best new case of all 2014.

If that's true, then at least Fractal even changed a couple of things. There's differences between the cases.

TT blatantly just didn't even bother changing anything at all. I personally wouldn't even say anything about it if they changed even the door on the front.

Thermal"TAKE"... it makes sense now D:

But they aren't.

At least Fractal's cases look different and actually INNOVATED on Nanoxia's designs and DISTINGUISHED themselves from rivals with their products and developed a reputation for quality cases with good cooling and acoustics. TT isn't doing this. They're ripping off other manufacturers' designs with the hopes of capitalizing on their successes and edging into their segments. They aren't innovating, they're stealing designs and that is wrong. As TTL said in his video, he has already spoken to numerous people within the industry and all of them have stated their disgust for what TT is doing here. The example that you gave is Thermaltake showing what they can do as far as actually innovating on the M-ITX cube case. That is what thermaltake should be doing; coming up with good designs that are innovative and functional, rather than ripping off other manufacturers just to get in on their profits and exploit people who cant tell the difference between their product and the one they are ripping off.

Look around, so many other companies are doing it... I don't see the need to only call out TT for this when so many other companies have been doing the same... Drama drama, oh and tt's Waterblock actually looks different.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

So apparently TT has released a statement on the matter but I can't find it for the life of me because I only heard it on the recent Tech Talk. If any of you can find it that would be greatly appreciated.

Look around, so many other companies are doing it... I don't see the need to only call out TT for this when so many other companies have been doing the same... Drama drama, oh and tt's Waterblock actually looks different.

Case and point (pun intended):

fractal-design-define-r4-black-pearl.jpg

And

h230-2b.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Case and point (pun intended):

And

I remember a zalman case that Mr Linus reviewed recently. It looks strikingly similar as well...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I remember a zalman case that Mr Linus reviewed recently. It looks strikingly similar as well...

And the S340 from NZXT and so on and so forth. You'd think folk would be a little bit more careful about jumping the gun on the oh so original plain fucking black rectangle style but no, Jay just spend like 2 hours calling on a Thermaltake boycott because of some emails he claims he has but of course refuses to make public but oh well.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And the S340 from NZXT and so on and so forth. You'd think folk would be a little bit more careful about jumping the gun on the oh so original plain fucking black rectangle style but no, Jay just spend like 2 hours calling on a Thermaltake boycott because of some emails he claims he has but of course refuses to make public but oh well.

There are agreement in emails that you are not supposed to publicize them when talking to a manufacturer, you would know this if you have tried before, a lot of companies do this so jay can get in trouble if he publishes them