[OC3D] Thermaltake is copying more than just CaseLabs products

CtW

At least Fractal's cases look different and actually INNOVATED on Nanoxia's designs

Nope, it's literally the same exact case with slightly thinner metal, and one big door instead of the split door.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

There are agreement in emails that you are not supposed to publicize them when talking to a manufacturer, you would know this if you have tried before, a lot of companies do this so jay can get in trouble if he publishes them

Well he broke NDA by mentioning those emails at all, I understand that it makes him kinda safer legally by not just sharing them but it makes him look like a disingenuous twat by referring to them and even quoting from them knowing full well he can't provide proof they exist. He was clearly irate and not thinking straight which brought down a lot of the valid points he was tying to make throughout the show.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I think some of us are going wrong on this.

Someone mentioned that other manufacturers do the same, which is true to a degree, but then brought up a Fractal and a NZXT. case.

The goal of those cases is silence and in order to achieve that, you will do things that every case manufacturer does. Some examples:

-Solid front plate with noise dampening material and side intake spaces

-Front I/O on top(most of the times)

-Noise dampening materials on the side panels, and generally no window.

See, these are some things that every successful silent case has and it does not have them because its manufacturer stole them, but because they became a standard. OFC there was at some point one manufacturer which innovated that, but it's just a small part of the final product and that can be used by others.

Then comes TT, I mean I saw some footage from computex and at some point I saw that CaseLabs ripoff. I saw Jay's Skunkworks, so naturally I thought right away that the case was a CaseLabs. At that point I was not paying attention to the exterior, but rather at the nice green interior with lights and stuff, but then I noticed the TT logo and said..."WTF?". 

I thought at first that it was a partnership or sth, but then I saw all the rage online.

TL:DR

My opinion on this>> TT stole(yeah, stole) the designs from other manufacturers, the design is just TOO similar.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I think some of us are going wrong on this.

Someone mentioned that other manufacturers do the same, which is true to a degree, but then brought up a Fractal and a NZXT. case.

The goal of those cases is silence and in order to achieve that, you will do things that every case manufacturer does. Some examples:

-Solid front plate with noise dampening material and side intake spaces

-Front I/O on top(most of the times)

-Noise dampening materials on the side panels, and generally no window.

See, these are some things that every successful silent case has and it does not have them because its manufacturer stole them, but because they became a standard. OFC there was at some point one manufacturer which innovated that, but it's just a small part of the final product and that can be used by others.

Then comes TT, I mean I saw some footage from computex and at some point I saw that CaseLabs ripoff. I saw Jay's Skunkworks, so naturally I thought right away that the case was a CaseLabs. At that point I was not paying attention to the exterior, but rather at the nice green interior with lights and stuff, but then I noticed the TT logo and said..."WTF?". 

I thought at first that it was a partnership or sth, but then I saw all the rage online.

TL:DR

My opinion on this>> TT stole(yeah, stole) the designs from other manufacturers, the design is just TOO similar.

So by that logic, only the Caselabs lookalike is a rip off, the Define R lookalike well that's just what you need for silent cases.

Doesn't makes that much sense to me. Again Jay was a little too eager to provide all this supposed evidence with jack shit to back most of it up. Now I do think that they probably did intentionally made the cases too similar for comfort but as I have been saying, big fucking deal this are almost features black rectangles you really can't claim "oh it's my design!" not even billionaires from Apple have been able to sustain their case against samsung.

-------

Current Rig

-------

has their been any updates with this story?

Intel I7 4770k 4.2ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero,16 gb Corsair Ram(1600 mhz), GTX 780 Classified, 1000w EVGA Supernova Powersupply,Corsair h100i
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo Solid State Drive(OS Drive), 120 GB Corsair Solid State Drive, 1 Terabyte Western Digital Drive
(Blue)

has their been any updates with this story?

I heard something about CaseLabs drawing up some kind of law suit but I can't confirm it. Even if that does happen, I'm pretty sure CaseLabs has no chance against such a large company like Thermaltake.

I don't understand why this is an issue in a free market.

If a company can get outdone by an imposter with lower price/quality, then maybe you're the problem in that equation.

Yes, let's just wait for another company to spend money on designing cool stuff and then we'll just copy it and sell it for cheap.

Or even worse, let's all become complacent and not engineer new things because we're too afraid of having someone else swoop in and copy our designs for free. That will really get our society further.

I think Linus put it best.

Innovation is not in design, it's in manufacturing. If someone takes your idea, and is able to do it better, cheaper, and on a larger scale, well then that's the bricks, that's how the industry works.

Not saying their BLATANT copies of certain things are okay, but most of their cases are well....not ripoffs, they're innovations. They've managed to do the same thing with cheaper materials for a cheaper price. Hell, he even pointed out that the Case Labs cases are in essence, spiritual successors to Mountain Mods, so what the hell are they crying about? They still offer a hell of a lot in quality and customization in the order process, something that TT does not do, so they still have a viable business option.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

don't know where to put this but since it's a related topic here it is

not sure if bitter or sarcastic reply from OC3D

11406198_1006070979433155_72055846097326

w-nRWJ-Ka4yP.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

hrQDFQqY3R0a.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I know I'm not contributing to this conversation in any meaningful way here, but I'll say it.

I simply do not care.  If anything, I'm glad Thermaltake is trying to "emulate" other better (in my opinion) products.  I've always considered most of their stuff junky, so this whole issue only makes me consider them more when choosing a product of theirs (if the price is right) for one of my monthly builds.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

If their products are cheaper and directly try to compete with all the other brands, I won't really care. This might be better for the consumer, if they drive down the prices.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

don't know where to put this but since it's a related topic here it is

not sure if bitter or sarcastic reply from OC3D

Not surprising, judging by his attitude I've always known the guy behind OC3D has always been like this.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Meh just jack shit on thermaltake for some reason or another, I'd you're going on TT then you better go after zalman, NZXT or any other case mafucture and water coolin g maker.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What would be nice is if Caselabs offered their cases in more affordable options. instead of aluminum use steel and make it slightly thinner. I think they would do really well with it but they simply dont have the manpower to carry it if it really took off. I think Caselab's case's are beautiful and very well engineered. The problem is I and most likely a lot of people find it hard to justify spending $300 + on just a case when that money could be better put towards other parts

this is dum and a non issue you know how many other companies have copied the define r4style ? coolermaster, corsair. nzxt  and bitfenix just to name a few and you know how many companies make affordable radiators or gpu blocks ? not many, most are produced by swifttech asatech and no offense but they are not cheap.

so please let it go thermaltake is doing nothing diffrent then any company has done in the past.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Who's actually surprised TTL would say this? He's always HATED thermaltake. I don't blame him. It's his opinion though.

On that remark about Linus. I've noticed he's had quite a bit to say about him since the funding of the new office and spray painting motherboard. But, then again it's just his opinion.

And, no. Linus isn't about the money. Linus makes every smart business move. Even.. If it means climbing a tree.. to put sugar in a copper pipe. When he could of probably.. Cut the tubing then put the sugar inside to bend it.. idk hindsight. Or he's part monkey.

So then all of the ripoff fashion products, cars, movies, tv shows, games, tech products, etc. that exist in this world are absolutely fine? Imagine if you had worked hundreds of hours and spent tons of money to design an original product that you feel passionate about and then suddenly someone larger than you just came in and took it then called it their own. Would you be ok with that? I don't think you would. It's still possible to create a product that directly competes with another and still make it original and stand out in its own way. Simply making a worse version of the same product just to capitalize off of another's success is wrong. This is a large part of the reason why copyright and patent laws were created, both of which do very little to hurt a free market economy.

Thats exactly how a market economy is supposed to work. If a competitor has something better, you copy it. And if possible, add more to it. That's innovation. Revolutionary inventions are patented, if it's not granted a patent, the court declared it to be a pety thing and wasn't worth a patent.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit