Why do school punish us for hacking?

mrswagbhinav

I only told three people and after telling them I told the administrators who already knew

The admins already knew cos they no doubt had extra network connections from your friends on a semi-closed network.

They can monitor this shit...easily... and can monitor way more than that.

Enjoy your suspension... their a cakewalk anyway.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you understand that its illegal why do it imagine Murdering someone going to the Cops and saying 'hey i just killed some random guy but you cant arrest me because i knew it was illegal'

Moral: knowing something is wrong does not make it right.

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

The admins already knew cos they no doubt had extra connections from your friends on a semi-closed network.

They can monitor this shit...easily... and can monitor way more than that.

Oh they monitor all keystrokes

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

I only told three people and after telling them I told the administrators who already knew

Ahhh my bad man. But still, that is illegal so your school may just being doing you a favor. 

Ran by coffee

Oh they monitor all keystrokes

Not just that.. thats such a tiny part of what they can do...

They can also remote-in and take control over your session, view&close your session,, remove your permissions and much more.. You have no idea.

The fact you thought you were smarter than the people in control of the network, who SEE every connection and the stats/information that comes with it... is funny.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm really bad at writing so this was very unclear. My problem was I told them (a little late) and they didn't care. They don't even want to fix it. Yes I understand my mistake and deserve most of the punishment

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

I'm really bad at writing so this was very unclear. My problem was I told them (a little late) and they didn't care. They don't even want to fix it. Yes I understand my mistake and deserve most of the punishment

Well if you can admit that now.. thats a start :P

Why not ask the sysadmin if you can help him out, as your obviously interested in the technologies and VERY curious about things, and while he does have paid employees, a teachers assistant role would also help you grow as a person and teach you the relevant real world skills you need. Doesn't hurt to ask.

You're not seriously asking yourself this, right?

As I just said my real problem is the school doesn't care that I did that. They aren't fixing it. I accept most of my punishment.

admin access and internet passwords are different, nobody gives a shit about one and the other is illegal

yah but its really fun to have admin acsess :P you can install ALLL THE THINGS!!!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Well if you can admit that now.. thats a start :P

Why not ask the sysadmin if you can help him out, as your obviously interested in the technologies and VERY curious about things, and while he does have paid employees, a teachers assistant role would also help you grow as a person and teach you the relevant real world skills you need. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I'll ask but I don't think they want a sarcastic 13 year old who just broke a couple laws to get a responsibility like that. I mean he likes me, he winked at me when I got sent to the principals office but the principal hates me,

I was desperate for internet (no data plan) after the school shut down their guest WiFi so I brought my laptop so school and bypassed their WiFi passcode using Linux. So the school found out but I only told three people who may have told others. I told the school administrators that same day but they already knew and  now I'm facing a two day suspension, lunch detention for the rest of the school year (15 days), and no use of technology for the rest of my time in the school. (till 6/21/16) So why should I get punished for this, I understand that it is illegal and wrong but I pointed out major flaws in their security and companies like Facebook reward users for hacking into their sites. What's your take on this and tell me if I deserved it lel 

" I understand that it is illegal and wrong" ...you are answering your own question right there and you had 0 intention of telling of the security hole and you know it. So dont use that as a scapegoat.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I'll ask but I don't think they want a sarcastic 13 year old who just broke a couple laws to get a responsibility like that. I mean he likes me, he winked at me when I got sent to the principals office but the principal hates me,

Ask him anyway...You'd be surprised.

/also..your principal, if you do not care what he/she thinks about you.. then exactly that.. who cares.

Learn to keep your damn mouth shut then maybe you won't have this issue.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

" I understand that it is illegal and wrong" ...you are answering your own question right there and you had 0 intention of telling of the security hole and you know it. So dont use that as a scapegoat.

Jesus christ my problem (said this 5 times) is that they don't care. They aren't making any changes and improvements after I pointed that out.

Learn to keep your damn mouth shut then maybe you won't have this issue.

again read the whole story before commenting

ANNOUNCMENT: I told the administrators, they were suspicious and that confirmed their suspicions and they didn't care about the security so I made a witty comment. That was the real reason why I got in that much trouble.

Oh god, what'd you say.

Jesus christ my problem (said this 5 times) is that they don't care. They aren't making any changes and improvements after I pointed that out.

How bout update op if you have more relevant info, im not gonna sit and waste my time scouring the thread in the event you point out new information, maybe include all the relevant info in the 1st post. thats generally how forums work.  :rolleyes:

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I doesn't matter that they care or not. You did something that is illegal and goes against common social norms. The tech ban through 2016 will probably go away eventually but you'd have to show that you understand why is it wrong what you did, which you have failed to demonstrate so far.

Oh god, what'd you say.

I said two things. one I can't say on this site so I'll hint at the other one. he got beat up by a couple high schoolers and I made a comment about how defenseless he was then and how defenseless he is now

I did read the whole story. You might as well be an idiot who stole an ipad and started taking pictures with it and put it on Facebook.

Nice try at trying to 'help' your school, but unless you came to them with a proposal to fix security flaws in their system, you didn't do anything RIGHT.

Take your punishment and learn to keep things like this to yourself next time and perhaps you won't have problems understanding why they're punishing you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

The staff wireless network at my old high school had full access to the server files, so anything that was confidential like 504 IEP plans and exams that teachers had saved on it, the guest network could only access the files that were saved in the folders that were allowed to be accessed.  

I said two things. one I can't say on this site so I'll hint at the other one. he got beat up by a couple high schoolers and I made a comment about how defenseless he was then and how defenseless he is now

oh boy cryptic message time!

System Specs