Why do school punish us for hacking?

mrswagbhinav

I think you probably deserved it to be honest. you'd probably be mad if someone were snooping around your network. Hacking can be used for good purposes, but it's generally seen as invasive and threatening. That's just my take. If you really wanted to get onto the network without being caught, you shouldn't have told anyone.

I think you probably deserved it to be honest. you'd probably be mad if someone were snooping around your network. Hacking can be used for good purposes, but it's generally seen as invasive and threatening. That's just my take. If you really wanted to get onto the network without being caught, you shouldn't have told anyone.

I didn't get caught because I told people. The school saw my traffic and went through my session to get my name.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

I acknowledged my mistake and accept my punishment so calm down unless you're post farming  :P

So what harm did it cause at all? I mean it was a thought expierement. Maybe u didn't make the most right desicion, buff at least u told them. The suspension and the banning of electronic use is a stretch, but u really can't blame them because they are a bunch of non techies, and they didn't know how to handle it.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

I didn't get caught because I told people. The school saw my traffic and went through my session to get my name.

Then you should have used a VPN. When hacking, the first thing is to know how to cover your tracks. Not saying hacking is bad, not at all. I love hacking, but you gotta understand when hacking is or isn't okay.

Then you should have used a VPN. When hacking, the first thing is to know how to cover your tracks. Not saying hacking is bad, not at all. I love hacking, but you gotta understand when hacking is or isn't okay.

Well I didn't really care because I knew I would tell them either way but now I wish I did that because the school punished me

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Yes you do deserve it

1) If they wanted you to get into it, there wouldn't be a password.

2) You told people

Well at least you won't be there forever, because unlike the school system and its employees you can think outside the box.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Well I can speak from the other side as I am a network technician at a school & college.

This has happened to us in the past before I took over network security. What was funny is they started telling other pupils but one of the lads who did it actually came to us and confessed as he felt guilty and wanted to tell us rather than us hearing from other pupils.

So why a harsh punishment? Well it's like ANY network, 'illegal access' not illegal breaking the law, but with our school the pupils sign an IT Agreement saying they will respect the IT equipment and network etc. Therefore they break the rules and as with any broken rule in a school there is consequences.

ALSO, despite other security features, accessing the network like that means what would stop them going further to try and access payroll etc?

Anyway, tougher security got implement after that and it gets changed every so often now.

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

You broke the rules, so you are being punished.

You sound like you're going to find real life outside of school very difficult if you can't master this, young Sir.

There is something wrong with you if you see no fault in what you did.

You should've told the school about the flaw and not other students. You exploited a flaw, and so you deserve whatever punishment they throw at your head.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

to be honest we all have done things in school that you though that were funny (coming from a 15 year old) last year i got board and brought my laptop in plugged it into one of the Ethernet ports connected to all the printers and printed 200 sheets of paper with the words "the head teacher is gay" and that was sent to over 100 printers. i also hacked into the hole network and locked every pc there was on the network with a password the punishment for that was i had to go round and unlock every pc manually  

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

Pretty harsh punishment for the 'crime'. Surprised that people in the thread don't see this and would rather focus on the old "commit the crime, do the time" simpleton thinking. A two day suspension can disrupt someone's schoolwork flow pretty substantially and lunch detentions deprive someone of the sparse social interactions a kid is lucky enough to get in high school and middle school. Plus bypassing a password lock just to access the wifi is hardly hacking. This is nowhere near a malicious enough event and I'm sad to see that school's draconian measures justified so poorly.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

If you hacked something and then went to the techs and were legitimately informing them of the hole, I could understand your reason to look for sympathy. You did it, to use their system without permission.

to be honest we all have done things in school that you though that were funny (coming from a 15 year old) last year i got board and brought my laptop in plugged it into one of the Ethernet ports connected to all the printers and printed 200 sheets of paper with the words "the head teacher is gay" and that was sent to over 100 printers. i also hacked into the hole network and locked every pc there was on the network with a password. 

Wow. How did you do that?

to be honest we all have done things in school that you though that were funny (coming from a 15 year old) last year i got board and brought my laptop in plugged it into one of the Ethernet ports connected to all the printers and printed 200 sheets of paper with the words "the head teacher is gay" and that was sent to over 100 printers. i also hacked into the hole network and locked every pc there was on the network with a password. 

If you hacked something and then went to the techs and were legitimately informing them of the hole, I could understand your reason to look for sympathy. You did it, to use their system without permission.

Wow. How did you do that?

well there is a main pc in the server room and that can control all the pcs and i started a windows remote desktop connection with it and locked all the pc's lol

Pretty harsh punishment for the 'crime'. Surprised that people in the thread don't see this and would rather focus on the old "commit the crime, do the time" simpleton thinking. A two day suspension can disrupt someone's schoolwork flow pretty substantially and lunch detentions deprive someone of the sparse social interactions a kid is lucky enough to get in high school and middle school. Plus bypassing a password lock just to access the wifi is hardly hacking. This is nowhere near a malicious enough event and I'm sad to see that school's draconian measures justified so poorly.

And this is the mentality which causes kids to have no discipline and explains all of the problems with the current generation of kids who are about to graduate.

If you break rules, it is your own fault and deserve a punishment. 2 days off of school isn't going to do anything that bad to someone who is capable of passing an exam at a high grade. He said he used linux to get in, so it was probably a brute force tool, to hack the wifi network.

well there is a main pc in the server room and that can control all the pcs and i started a windows remote desktop connection with it and locked all the pc's lol

Specifically, how did you lock "all of the PCs with a password".

:P

Specifically, how did you lock "all of the PCs with a password".

:P

well i had to do work experience and a week and one of the days i was with the it guys they showed my the server room and they said they had a pc in there and it can control the other pc's and also the server pc can be remotely access via a admin they also had a bit of software to control other pc's on he network and could do things like lock them so i brought my pc in because i am admin and Ethernet in to the network and started a remote connection. it also locked my pc but there we go lol     

And this is the mentality which causes kids to have no discipline and explains all of the problems with the current generation of kids who are about to graduate.

If you break rules, it is your own fault and deserve a punishment. 2 days off of school isn't going to do anything that bad to someone who is capable of passing an exam at a high grade. He said he used linux to get in, so it was probably a brute force tool, to hack the wifi network.

Nope. I'm not even gonna start to argue with users who would attribute my criticisms of a school's punishments to "causing kids to have no discipline." I was an A- high school student graduate two years ago who's only 'crime' was tardiness to my aced Algebra and Literature classes. I don't have the time to argue with out of touch adults. They said all of these same weightless things about each next generation back in the 40s-60s about the removal of school's corporal punishment as well.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Nope. I'm not even gonna start to argue with users who would attribute my criticisms of a school's punishments to "causing kids to have no discipline." I was an A- high school student graduate two years ago who's only 'crime' was tardiness to my aced Algebra and Literature classes. I don't have the time to argue with out of touch adults. They said all of these same weightless things about each next generation back in the 40s-60s about the removal of school's corporal punishment as well.

Carry on as you are, I'm not arguing with anyone. Once you grow up and get some more life experience under your belt, you will value rules and laws far more once you have to rely on them when some spotty little kid has vandalised part of your property, bullied your own kids or anything malicious happens to your data.

The irony is, the OP is a real example of lack of discipline. But be ignorant to it by all means, you don't have to agree with me, much as I don't have to agree with you.

Holy shit,  the length of the ban is BS but you certainly should be suspended for it.   Maybe even made to write an essay on technology ethics and the effects on underfunded school systems. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On the topic hacking school networks a friend did that, I do not know how he did it but he made it so everything you typed in a web browser was converted to "rickroll", this school is a computer based school so all students have laptops so that day no one could do any work at all. They found out it was my friend and he had a laugh with the IT guy. Now days he is the IT at that school, strange how things work out for some ppl.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Carry on as you are, I'm not arguing with anyone. Once you grow up and get some more life experience under your belt, you will value rules and laws far more once you have to rely on them when some spotty little kid has vandalised part of your property, bullied your own kids or anything malicious happens to your data.

The irony is, the OP is a real example of lack of discipline. But be ignorant to it by all means, you don't have to agree with me, much as I don't have to agree with you.

Okay, I'm done. I don't have the patience to argue with someone just throwing so many assumptions around about my life experience and how I value laws, while ignoring my main point about the true scope of harm vs punishment for that harm. If you preach discipline, then show some when constructing your insults. The offhand comments about vandalism and bullying were a nice touch though. Added to ignore.

LEL.

Okay, I'm done. I don't have the patience to argue with someone just throwing so many assumptions around about my life experience and how I value laws, while ignoring my main point about the true scope of harm vs punishment for that harm. If you preach discipline, then show some when constructing your insults. The offhand comments about vandalism and bullying were a nice touch though. Added to ignore.

Please be aware that if that post above is a reply, I am not reading it.

Am I going to get notifications from him every time? xD

Please be aware that if that post above is a reply, I am not reading it.