i5 4690k vs. Amd Fx 6300

I currently have an amd fx 6300 and I was looking at getting the i5 4690k.  I was wondering what the performance difference between the 2 would be.

-vimy

I currently have an amd fx 6300 and I was looking at getting the i5 4690k.  I was wondering what the performance difference between the 2 would be.

-vimy

What GPU do you have actually right now?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You'll be getting nearly double the performance.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Well, the i5 has much better single core performance so it would be better in most games as most games dont take advantage of all cores. Basically, you will see an fps increase.

What GPU do you have actually right now?

I have an EVGA Gtx 970 sc acx 2.0.

depends. What will you be doing with it?

Gaming and video editing and a bit of streaming

Yes. With the 4690k you will get better performance because it removes the CPU bottleneck currently happening in your system

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Quite a bit to be honest.

The FX 6300 bottlenecks the 970 in many, if not all games so you will see a significant performance increase.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

well the 4690k is better than the 3570k

FX-6300-FX-4300-67.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Gaming and video editing and a bit of streaming

for gaming, 30-40% more performance. For editing, maybe 20.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

it always depends on what games and apps. Some may be double, some may be the same

But i say its a worthy upgrade

Not much of a performance gain in gaming, 4690K isnt that good for editing or streaming aswell, you should rather get i7 for that.

An I3 will perform better in most games than a 6300

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Not much of a performance gain in gaming, 4690K isnt that good for editing or streaming aswell, you should rather get i7 for that.

Stop.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I am also planning on overclocking the heck out of it

I am also planning on overclocking the heck out of it

An overclock isn't going to overcome the IPC gap between these two processors.  They are on entirely different performance tiers.

Buy the i5.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

An overclock isn't going to overcome the IPC gap between these two processors.  They are on entirely different performance tiers.

Buy the i5.

I meant to say I was going to be overclocking the i5 lol.  I have the fx 6300 now and I have it at 4.3gigawats.  I just purchased the i5 a couple of minutes ago and am planning on overclocking the heck out of it.

-vimy

I meant to say I was going to be overclocking the i5 lol.  I have the fx 6300 now and I have it at 4.3gigawats.  I just purchased the i5 a couple of minutes ago and am planning on overclocking the heck out of it.

-vimy

ahhh gotcha,

Did you buy a Z97 motherboard as well?  What cooler do you have?

Won't a 60 mghz monitor limit games to 60fps? 

It doesn't forcibly limit them, but there's no real reason to run games beyond 60 FPS in such a case.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

ahhh gotcha,

Did you buy a Z97 motherboard as well?  What cooler do you have?

I bought the z97x-ud3h-bk board a couple days ago and I ordered the cpu today.  

I am planning on getting a higher refreshrate monitor in the future, but for now a 60hz panel does absolutely fine

I bought the z97x-ud3h-bk board a couple days ago and I ordered the cpu today.  

Ok, nice.  Just making sure.

-vimy

this was my Kids upgrade. they had a FX6300 on a gigabyte Fx990 ud3 mobo, and a R9290.

we got an I5 and a UD5H mobo z97 chipset. and its night and DAY. 

but that isnt to say we didnt have other issues. our FX 6300 would constantly stall for like 20 seconds, and not do anything, and then would start working again. gaming was hit n miss. Arma 3 and DCS were TERRIBLE 

When we got the I5. arma 3 became AWESOME and so did DCS. so its a mild upgrade. but it makes an impact. maybe if you want to make sure grab the socket 1150 i7's. that wld make u feel comfy with spending cash. 

Alternative could be wait a few months, and grab skylake or whatever its called that is coming!