About the A10-7850K, A10-7800 and A10-7700K...

Could you tell me about the AMD Kaveri APUs?

I have some especific questions. But any info is useful...

- How does RAM affect the GPU side of these APUs?

- What is their Intel equivalent? (On the CPU side)

- What dedicated GPU will be bottlenecked by them? Will a GTX 960 or R9 285 work fine?

- How overclocking them affects their performance? What about power consumption and heat output?

- What is the dGPU equivalent to their iGPU?

- What is the difference between them?

- Can they run Crysis?

Do NOT buy apu's if you plan to use a gpu. iGPU is weak as balls, it's about as powerful as r7 250.

Intel has no equivalent, but all their processors have integrated graphics that are actually more useful ( encoding for obs for example )

you should only consider an apu if you plan to build a very small budget system and never ever upgrade it in your life.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Welcome to the Forum.

1) The graphics core needs fast RAM because it doesn't have its own. Faster RAM can benefit performance quite a bit.

2) For graphics, they don't really have an equivalent. For processing power... I'm not sure how much to trust this:

upRWmYL.png

3) You'll bottleneck at some point, I can't tell you.

4) The 7850k has a 95w TDP. That's relatively high compared to Intel chips which use a smaller lithography. They're overclockable but I wouldn't bet on you getting very far.

5) Something low end, R7 240?

6) Clock speeds.

Sig under construction.

Since there is a CPU AND a GPU in one chip that can both access the ram having higher speed ram leads to faster data transfer or whatever it's called

There is no Intel CPU with the power of the GPU and CPU in one single chip.However the Intel route would be a Celeron+R7 240

You could add up to a 960 if you disable the on-board graphics.Remember the CPU on the chip is equivalent to the AMD FX-4300.If you plan on a separate GPU please don't get a APU 

Overclocking will let the chip work better and run faster and stuff.They will consume quite a bit of power though

There direct GPU would be somewhere between a AMD Radeon R7-240/R7250

The difference between the two chips is 2 extra cores

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

There is no benefit for APU's unless you are on an extreme budget.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Could you tell me about the AMD Kaveri APUs?

I have some especific questions. But any info is useful...

- How does RAM affect the GPU side of these APUs?

- What is their Intel equivalent? (On the CPU side)

- What dedicated GPU will be bottlenecked by them? Will a GTX 960 or R9 285 work fine?

- How overclocking them affects their performance? What about power consumption and heat output?

- What is the dGPU equivalent to their iGPU?

- What is the difference between them?

- Can they run Crysis?

Memory bandwidth has a significant effect on graphics performance.  You want high speed memory (2000+MHz) to get the past gaming performance.

There is no real intel equivalent, there is a massive performance difference in graphics between intel and AMD.  Broadwell may be close to kaveri, but I don't think it is available yet.

It depends on the game.  For the most part I don't think there would be any issues until you start getting into high end gpu tiers. (290+, 970+)

Overclocking is significant, especially on the GPU.  I'd assume both power and heat scale quite intensely with that but I don't know what kind of numbers you could expect.

The dGPU equivalent is the r7 250, which is an entry level GPU capable of performing in crossfire with the APU for added performance.

imo APU's are best for low end gaming.  720p is the ideal resolution, but they can also manage 1080p/30 FPS in a lot of games on mediumish settings.

If you're going to get a dGPU, then there's no real benefit to the APU in performance.  APU's are best for $300-400 PC builds or laptops and not much else until the graphics component gets stronger.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I have HUGE gains using my 2400Mhz memory for my HD4600 (iGPU) and APU's are much the same.

I also OC'd my HD4600 from 1200mhz to 1650Mhz, paired with my Memory its running at 1650Mhz/1200Mhz, and most games are performing well enough @ 720p.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Unless you absolutely can't afford to spend 150 in a graphics card and plan on using the igpu, don't get the apu. Get an Athlon x4 860k or better yet, an i3 if your budget allows. The amd apus (and the Athlon since it is an apu with the igpu disabled) will bottleneck anything higher than an r9 270 in cpu intensive games and will even bottleneck the 270 in a few extreme cases (I had an a10 7850k and r9 270 done games were fine others were slight bottlenecks and a few were significant)

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

^He's right

The second you put a GPU in an APU build you kill any value it offers. 

Athlon x4 plus GPU is much better value on a budget. And, being that there's no CPU based GPU, you don't need expensive RAM.