Google I/O 2015 Megathread, Android M, Android Pay, Google Photos, Now, Cardboard and more

AlexGoesHigh

"Instead of focusing on getting Android L installed on as many devices we can,

umm are you new here thats not how it works

google doesnt update phones like the galaxy s6 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

umm are you new here thats not how it works

google doesnt update phones like the galaxy s6 

Google could very well enforce a policy that forced manufacturers and carriers to provide timely updates for phones, but they don't. Not surprising, they happily leave Nexus devices behind what can people expect from other devices? 

Now that they have figured out the permission system, they need to find a way to get updates out faster on all makers and carriers. 

That isn't a Google thing it is carriers like Verizon holding updates till the last possible minute in hopes that you get a new phone the os

Hi there. Move along, n0thing to see here.

Google could very well enforce a policy that forced manufacturers and carriers to provide timely updates for phones, but they don't. Not surprising, they happily leave Nexus devices behind what can people expect from other devices? 

What Nexus devices have they left behind due to anything other than old age hardware / unavailable drivers? And no, they can't. Open source is open source. If they were to enforce it now, manufacturers would switch to something else.

What Nexus devices have they left behind due to anything other than old age hardware / unavailable drivers?

Galaxy Nexus. Claimed they couldn't do it because Texas Instruments no longer was actively making CPUs, thus couldn't be bothered to make a build for the TI chipset. 

Yet that never stopped 3rd parties from giving that device 5.1. Google is embarrassingly bad at leaving older devices behind for contrived reasons. We're in an era where the 4S and iPad 2 are getting iOS 9, yet Google can't be bothered to give support beyond 18 months. 

But no compatibility with old phones because gay OS system from the begining,if upgrade is not possible its pointless,it needs to be just like PC windows/linux/mac,even with super old 10 year old hardware you can still do upgrade even if that means larger install for larger supported phone base.

Maybe next decade when ill buy another phone or never cause they suck,malware infested shitphones,not smartphones.

Galaxy Nexus. Claimed they couldn't do it because Texas Instruments no longer was actively making CPUs, thus couldn't be bothered to make a build for the TI chipset. 

Yet that never stopped 3rd parties from giving that device 5.1. Google is embarrassingly bad at leaving older devices behind for contrived reasons. We're in an era where the 4S and iPad 2 are getting iOS 9, yet Google can't be bothered to give support beyond 18 months. 

False. Their reasoning for no longer building for the Galaxy Nexus was a lack of driver release from Texas Instruments.

The real reason the 4S and iPad 2 are still getting updates is because, quite frankly, it runs like absolute trash on those devices. These devices are actually capable of running it at reasonable speeds. (@ nexus 7  : storage degradation doesn't count. Rest of the hardware is still more than capable.)

Nexus 4 - first released 2 years and 6 months - 2x12 + 6 = 30 months. Nexus 4 is running Android 5.1.1.

Nexus 7 (2012) - still got 5.1.1. Released July 13, 2012. 2 years, 11 months. 35 months. 

False. Their reasoning for no longer building for the Galaxy Nexus was a lack of driver release from Texas Instruments.

Run like trash? Alrighty. Old hardware runs new software worse than new hardware for which the software was initially designed. My mistake. Old hardware should always run new software like its new. Of course.

Once again, if drivers were such a problem why is the Galaxy Nexus getting 5, 5.1 and 5.1.1 based ROMs that work well?

Google is lazy and people actively defend their laziness. Amazing.

ok as far as i can tell

Android M fixes many bugs and new Chrome stuff and privacy

am i correct ?

Dont use chrome on Android.  Use Dolphine.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Run like trash? Alrighty. Old hardware runs new software worse than new hardware for which the software was initially designed. My mistake. Old hardware should always run new software like its new. Of course.

Once again, if drivers were such a problem why is the Galaxy Nexus getting 5, 5.1 and 5.1.1 based ROMs that work well?

Never said it should run like new. But it certainly shouldn't have issues opening Safari and browsing to a site while... updating an app. Not an internet issue, as I couldn't even type in the search bar.

Why is it getting ROMs still? Dunno. 

Dont use chrome on Android.  Use Dolphine.

Give reasons if you want to be convincing. Else there's no motivation.

Yet my phone (Moto X 2013) is still on KitKat.

Yet my phone (Moto X 2013) is still on KitKat.

My 5S will get at least iOS X if not more. Top lol.

That's exceptionally terrible. Google doesn't care. Motorola doesn't care. Carriers never care.

My 5S will get at least iOS X if not more. Top lol.

That's exceptionally terrible. Google doesn't care. Motorola doesn't care. Carriers never care.

I'm probably going to look into rooting to solve this, though I shouldn't have to go through that mess.

I'm probably going to look into rooting to solve this, though I shouldn't have to go through that mess.

I had a friend with a Note , he wanted L but he found it asinine that he had to root, trip his KNOX (he used the secure environment for business) and lose warranty just to get the OS he was promised to have.

That is asinine. You can't defend it. Consumers (of which more are casual) should not have to do that.

What's sad is that both my SIII (ex-Verizon) and my Avant (MetroPCS) both run the exact same version of Android (4.4.2), even though the Avant is newer. Samsung just slapped a "Lollipop" skin on it and gave it the S5's TouchWiz and called it good.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The change to Android L had a lot of problem for a lot of people. Their was a lot of crash I think

really? i thought there was a lot less crashes on android L than on kitkat

what is google supposed to do make an android l version with a skin that looks like touchwiz and cross their fingers that samsung will use it. and no google shouldnt force samsung to use stock android because that will defeat the purpose of open source 

what is google supposed to do make an android l version with a skin that looks like touchwiz and cross their fingers that samsung will use it. and no google shouldnt force samsung to use stock android because that will defeat the purpose of open source

Lol Android is far from open source.

Lol Android is far from open source.

anyone can access the source code of stock android and make modifications fairly open source to me

finally i got the OP organized, enjoy :D

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Thanks for the effort, nice job!

Now that they have figured out the permission system, they need to find a way to get updates out faster on all makers and carriers. 

The only way to do that is to switch to completely closed source and to not allow any OS customization. Even then, US carriers may refuse.

But no compatibility with old phones because gay OS system from the begining,if upgrade is not possible its pointless,it needs to be just like PC windows/linux/mac,even with super old 10 year old hardware you can still do upgrade even if that means larger install for larger supported phone base.

Maybe next decade when ill buy another phone or never cause they suck,malware infested shitphones,not smartphones.

You owe me 50k brain cells.

They left out certain permissions that already made my skin crawl (device & app history, for instance), so there's no telling if apps can just access that without our consent.  Also, from what I read so far it looks like apps won't have to ask for extra permissions on update.  So your card game that "doesn't need permissions" on install can suddenly start reading your contact list and sending text messages to them after an update, assuming it doesn't send the entire list to the dev.

Then there's the ever more intrusive Google Now and heaven knows what else they are trying to force down our throats again.

Time to sell the M8 and go back to a dumbphone. 

You deserve a badge for this effort. Seriously. If all posters in tech news put in this kind of effort, what a great place it would be