Twitch bans Adults Only games in the United States.

wyattzx

new-twitchtv-logo.png

Twitch has updated its rules of conduct to disallow streaming of Adult Only games, the company announced today. That means any game classified with an AO rating by the ESRB will be banned from the service, including games such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Manhunt 2.

"Previously, we made game-specific decisions about which games would and would not be available for broadcast – sometimes due to overtly sexual content, sometimes due to gratuitous violence," the company said in its statement.
"This is unsustainable and unclear, generating only further confusion among Twitch broadcasters. We would like to make this policy as transparent as possible."

PCGamer

Normally I'd find this to be a controversial topic, but currently there are only 28 published games with the AO rating, most of which are either old, or have little to no following. Games like Hatred are going to be hit by this, but I feel the impact will be relatively small among Twitch viewers and streamers. What are your guys' thoughts and opinions? Is this a good or bad move by Twitch? Or is it just.. a neutral move?

This post has been promoted to an article

I say good.

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

I can understand the reasoning behind this because a lot of kids watch Twitch, and they would have access to these sort of videos and content. I do think it's a bummer if there are any streamers out there that rely on these games to provide the community with live-stream content. Most Twitch channels usually have a 'primary' game they play whether it be Minecraft or whatever else, so I hope there aren't any channels out there that solely focus on games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

On that note, happy gaming! :)

Ahhhh the good old US censorship motto, "horrific deplorable violence is okay, as long as nobody is naked or says any dirty words".

Can we PLEASE, move out of the stoneage?

It's silly. They allow gambling and GTA5 but won't allow this game because it's just a more extreme version. 

I've played through San Andreas at least three times, NOTHING in it is more extreme than ANYTHING in GTA V. this is stupid.

Censorship is wrong, in just about every way. If you have children, do what you are supposed to do as a parent, don't lie to them, don't sugar coat things, EXPLAIN THEM.

As a parent, your job is to guide your children through life, until they can make their own way. Lying to them, and protecting them from things, handicaps them. You're not supposed to be JUST their friend, or JUST their authority figure, you're supposed to be a guide. Offering nothing more than truth, and context. The things which an individual needs to form an opinion.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's silly. They allow gambling and GTA5 but won't allow this game because it's just a more extreme version. 

I mean, the hot coffee thing with GTASA let you see the sex scenes in game, but in GTA V you can go into a strip club and hold a girl's hips while she gives you a topless lap dance. I'm not saying that banning GTASA is such a bad thing (though I don't think they should bother, it's a parent's job to teach their kids right and wrong), but doing that and not banning GTA V shows that Twitch is being a bit of a cash cow (and is also trying not to piss too many off.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Neutral. They're a private entity and they decide what image they want to be portrayed of their business.

Cue "hurr durr, freedom of speech, hurr durr, they're prudes"

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

ahh common, the reasoning its perfectly understandable but can't you make an exception for SA, what makes it AO isn't on by default, and its remove from pretty much every version expect the ps2 and xbox originals, all version are rated M now

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33275&Title=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%3A%20San%20Andreas&searchkeyword=grand%20theft%20auto

edit: yeah the ps2, xbox and original pc disc are still rated AO, but not the steam version which is what almost everyone has now, also the AO rating is only valid for the original launch batch, post launch disc that don't have hot coffee are M

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=10562&Title=Grand%20Theft%20Auto%3A%20San%20Andreas&searchkeyword=grand%20theft%20auto

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Does this include Canada? I still want my violent games.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

What are your guys' thoughts and opinions? Is this a good or bad move by Twitch? Or is it just.. a neutral move?

I can understand it, and it probably is a smart move, but it doesn't mean I'm all that happy to see something outright banned. I personally believe age restrictions would be better (am not aware if Twitch has age restrictions or not), as it'd put the responsibility for keeping an eye on what one watches squarely on the shoulders of the viewer, where it should be.

I don't do signatures.

I mean, the hot coffee thing with GTASA let you see the sex scenes in game, but in GTA V you can go into a strip club and hold a girl's hips while she gives you a topless lap dance. I'm not saying that banning GTASA is such a bad thing (though I don't think they should bother, it's a parent's job to teach their kids right and wrong), but doing that and not banning GTA V shows that Twitch is being a bit of a cash cow (and is also trying not to piss too many off.)

It's silly, it's just a video game. 

Neutral. They're a private entity and they decide what image they want to be portrayed of their business.

Cue "hurr durr, freedom of speech, hurr durr, they're prudes"

Very true, although we can, as "customers" of twitch, disagree and choose to not watch anything on twitch as a result.

Freedom of speech entails the idea that there is no black and white right and wrong, just opinions. We can agree or disagree all we want.

And I for one, disagree.

I say good.

Why? Violent or sexually suggestive video games have not been found to cause significant or negative behavioural changes in anyone (in fact, as with all hobbies regardless of content, all video games have proven to provide positive mental health change), this is just ridiculous. Sort of like how on American TV they are afraid of saying shit or fuck lol..

It's silly, it's just a video game. 

^This, just as books are books, TV is just TV and Movies are just Movies. It does not affect people, children don't turn into rapist because they saw a sex scene in GTA.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Why? Violent or sexually suggestive video games have not been found to cause significant or negative behavioural changes in anyone (in fact, as with all hobbies regardless of content, all video games have proven to provide positive mental health change), this is just ridiculous. Sort of like how on American TV they are afraid of saying shit or fuck lol..

There are studies that say opposite, as well as studies that say what you say, although both are paid for by biased parties.

Granted, I agree that violence in video games does little to no damage, although I would argue that what goes on in the news does FAR more damage.

gta5 is not AO

but san andreas is xD

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Why? Violent or sexually suggestive video games have not been found to cause significant or negative behavioural changes in anyone (in fact, as with all hobbies they have proven to provide positive mental health change), this is just ridiculous. Sort of like how on American TV they are afraid of saying shit or fuck lol..

As someone else has already stated, it is their company, and the videos that are being streamed to twitch reflect their image as a company. If you visit twitch for the first time, and most of the stuff you see is of extremely violent and sexual stuff (I know it is not currently like this), you may then view Twitch as a service for stream "that kind of stuff." I am sure that Twitch does not want people to view them as "that company." 

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

lol as if the Hot Chocolate mod was actually provocative. I'd say the content in GTA V is much worse in terms of how crass it is with the sex.

As someone else has already stated, it is their company, and the videos that are being streamed to twitch reflect their image as a company. If you visit twitch for the first time, and most of the stuff you see is of extremely violent and sexual stuff (I know it is not currently like this), you may then view Twitch as a service for stream "that kind of stuff." I am sure that Twitch does not want people to view them as "that company." 

Conversely, if the first thing you ever hear about twitch is something like this, you might think they're an advocate of censorship and thus, an "old fashioned company run by stuffy-ass old people".

Twitch is within their right to do this, but then I have to wonder what is the point of them having a "Warning Mature Content" button for streams?  I mean, streamers have the capability to set that up, so that means; they had a warning before-hand.

I thought when streamers are doing those games a pop up says this is for adults are you an adult?

Its all about those volumetric clouds

gta5 is not AO

but san andreas is xD

It's silly that it's AO. It's silly that there is even anything other than M for mature. If you are 18 they shouldn't ban anything from you. It's like banning books or movies. It's just stupid. 

Coinciding with the upcoming release of Hatred possibly?

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

well this sucks.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

So I suppose Hotline Miami 1 & 2 are fine for streaming on US twitch simply because of rating. weird... don't get me wrong I love the hotline miami games and just using them as an example, but its interesting that Hatred is getting so much hatred when premise alone separates it from other violent games.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Ahhhh the good old US censorship motto, "horrific deplorable violence is okay, as long as nobody is naked or says any dirty words".

Can we PLEASE, move out of the stoneage?

I've played through San Andreas at least three times, NOTHING in it is more extreme than ANYTHING in GTA V. this is stupid.

Censorship is wrong, in just about every way. If you have children, do what you are supposed to do as a parent, don't lie to them, don't sugar coat things, EXPLAIN THEM.

As a parent, your job is to guide your children through life, until they can make their own way. Lying to them, and protecting them from things, handicaps them. You're not supposed to be JUST their friend, or JUST their authority figure, you're supposed to be a guide. Offering nothing more than truth, and context. The things which an individual needs to form an opinion.

Oh you don't understand. It's for the children... /s I mean come on I was playing San Andreas on my PS2 when I was like 8-10 and I have absolutely no behavioural problems. That also applies to most kids of my generation, we were all playing GTA at that time.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)