AMD "It's Coming..." teaser

EpIcPoNaGe

I doubt it. The 980 I'm running was 43c without the fans running at all at idle. The titan is slightly higher at 53c idling. I haven't tested gaming yet but I'll get around to it. I also have the option of adding a different cooler to the titan x if I feel it needs it. There is no way it beats a titan x in thermals if the titan x is also water cooled. 

The R9 295x2 idles at 32C and peaks 73C under FurMark. Which is not surprising since it runs a liquid loop in comparison to air although I threw that in there as just a reminder that temperatures aren't everything. All that matters is that the card runs within its specified safe range. Fiji will likely still beat the TITAN X even if it had a G10 strapped to it due to the problematic source of heat being the rear facing GDDR5 chips that exceed 100C while gaming. It needs a backplate and essentially more cooling.

01-PCB_w_600.jpg

Reviews don't equate to real world performance. 

Wat? Reviews are our source for real world performance. These guys are no different than Linus or Slick posting up a review of a particular piece of hardware.

i'm done with AMD 

AMD Pricing on here is idiot 290 still with the same price mean while 970 got price drop here 

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Nope its still funny now, I own two 290x's and have had nothing issues since almost day one.

Is it mostly issues with crossfire?

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

all of dis new gpu hype and release hype can only mean that older gpu's will drop in price even more :) looks like 770 sli is getting closer and closer for me

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

The R9 295x2 idles at 32C and peaks 73C under FurMark. Which is not surprising since it runs a liquid loop in comparison to air although I threw that in there as just a reminder that temperatures aren't everything. All that matters is that the card runs within its specified safe range. Fiji will likely still beat the TITAN X even if it had a G10 strapped to it due to the problematic source of heat being the rear facing GDDR5 chips that exceed 100C while gaming. It needs a backplate and essentially more cooling.

Wat? Reviews are our source for real world performance. These guys are no different than Linus or Slick posting up a review of a particular piece of hardware.

Using a product for an hour or two isn't going to give you any real impressions. My 7990 gets super hot at 103c. I've read of other people having the same issues. This isn't a defective card, it's just aged and getting old. I put new thermal paste on it and it works a little better, but it still gets to 101c. I can deal with the vrms on the back, I'll get a back plate. It's like a 20 dollar investment on a 1200 dollar card. It isn't that big of a deal. You're comparing a card that is watercooled from the factor and has a backplate to a card that doesn't have either of those and is air cooled, yet the air cooled card still runs cooler for the most part. I'll run some benchmarks on the titan x and see what temps I can get when I get home. In all honesty I would have gone with the 295x2 had my 7990 not been such a huge heat source and making me want to go with much more efficient Nvidia solutions. I couldn't fit the ratiator/fan combo in my m8 so it wouldn't have worked as much as I would have liked it to. Would have saved me money in the long run but I still think the titan x is a better card if you can get past the price. 

Using a product for an hour or two isn't going to give you any real impressions. My 7990 gets super hot at 103c. I've read of other people having the same issues. This isn't a defective card, it's just aged and getting old. I put new thermal paste on it and it works a little better, but it still gets to 101c. I can deal with the vrms on the back, I'll get a back plate. It's like a 20 dollar investment on a 1200 dollar card. It isn't that big of a deal. You're comparing a card that is watercooled from the factor and has a backplate to a card that doesn't have either of those and is air cooled, yet the air cooled card still runs cooler for the most part. I'll run some benchmarks on the titan x and see what temps I can get when I get home. In all honesty I would have gone with the 295x2 had my 7990 not been such a huge heat source and making me want to go with much more efficient Nvidia solutions. I couldn't fit the ratiator/fan combo in my m8 so it wouldn't have worked as much as I would have liked it to. Would have saved me money in the long run but I still think the titan x is a better card if you can get past the price. 

A few hours of playing with a piece of hardware is all you need to draw a conclusion. It's not a cell phone or something else that takes a little while to ensure it does what it's suppose to or fits your needs. PC hardware can be tested in an instant as all you have to do is hook it up and run some benchmarks. We don't know if Fiji has a back plate as there has been no shots of the cards back. The air cooled card will always take a back seat to AIO cooled cards especially once you throw overclocking into the picture. The blower has really shown to be ineffective for flagship cards like the Titan X once overclocking comes into play. It's not really acceptable to put such a crappy heatsink on premium products anymore as gamers demand superior cooling at high price points.

A few hours of playing with a piece of hardware is all you need to draw a conclusion. It's not a cell phone or something else that takes a little while to ensure it does what it's suppose to or fits your needs. PC hardware can be tested in an instant as all you have to do is hook it up and run some benchmarks. We don't know if Fiji has a back plate as there has been no shots of the cards back. The air cooled card will always take a back seat to AIO cooled cards especially once you throw overclocking into the picture. The blower has really shown to be ineffective for flagship cards like he Titan X once overclocking comes into play. It's not really acceptable to put such a crappy heatsink on premium products anymore as gamers demand superior cooling at high price points.

In my case a squirrel fan style blower for rear exhaust is the best option (theoretically, the twin frozr cooler worked well in here) so I'm glad they used the reference cooler. I may try and buy the ACX 2.0 cooler down the line and see what it can do. The 980 I had in here was the MSI twin frozr cooler and it didn't spin the fans unless I started a game. It was pretty amazing the first time that happened, coming from a card I had to keep at 100% just to idle at a decent temp. 

I have a quesiton regarding the upcoming R9 390X:

I am planning on upgrading my rig to 2x R9 390X in crossfire and get myself a fancy 1440p IPS screent @ 144Hz and Freesync.

Now I saw that the R9 390X will launch with "only" 4GB of HBM memory. Will that be enough for a 1440p rig that I want to use everything maxed out at 1440p for 1 or 2 years?

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

I have a quesiton regarding the upcoming R9 390X:

I am planning on upgrading my rig to 2x R9 390X in crossfire and get myself a fancy 1440p IPS screent @ 144Hz and Freesync.

Now I saw that the R9 390X will launch with "only" 4GB of HBM memory. Will that be enough for a 1440p rig that I want to use everything maxed out at 1440p for 1 or 2 years?

I would say yes you should be okay for 1-2 years.

I would say yes you should be okay for 1-2 years.

Well I will not be getting the R9 390X directly when it releases for different reasons. I will wait for windows 10 and as I am also on holiday the whole july it may get august or september until I upgrade.

Any idea when the 8GB variants will come out? As I may be looking to upgrade to a 4k screen a year or two later.

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Well I will not be getting the R9 390X directly when it releases for different reasons. I will wait for windows 10 and as I am also on holiday the whole july it may get august or september until I upgrade.

Any idea when the 8GB variants will come out? As I may be looking to upgrade to a 4k screen a year or two later.

Yea never buy a high end card when it first comes out here is the average price of a 295X2 over time.

trend.gpu.chipset.radeon-r9-295x2.834a3f

Yea never buy a high end card when it first comes out here is the average price of a 295X2 over time.

trend.gpu.chipset.radeon-r9-295x2.834a3f

And yet Microcenter wants to sell it for $1499.99 still lol.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Their official website has a Twitter search link labeled "fiji-300" for us insiders. It may not use the nomenclature although it seems AMD wants it to be a part of the 300 series.

Yes, in the same way that the Titan, Titan Black, and Titan Z were "part" of the 700 series and the Titan X is "part" of the 900 series. I'm only talking about the branding/name.

Reviews don't equate to real world performance. 

Posts like this are why I needed an extended break from this forum. 

Posts like this are why I needed an extended break from this forum. 

Reviews show best case scenarios with cards on test benches in cooled rooms. I live in Florida, it gets hot as fuck. Now if I had everything in an open air test bench in a cold room I'm sure it would perform better. The case, fans and ambient air temp matter. The "must have defective card" bullshit is just idiots that aren't reading what I'm typing because they watched linus do (insert thing here) and that's what it will always do. Wrong. Different attributes affect things differently. 

Maybe you should take a longer break. 

maybe now they will release an actual driver thats not in beta?

soon ill have either a 390x or a 980ti lol.. can't wait.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I like AMD more than nvidia, but they need to stop teasing and just hurry up already

They're not teasing tbh, they did originally say they'll release next lineup at computex or something next week. Then delayed it till end of June. 

However, they do need to stop fucking around with rebrands.

If 300 series is a rebrand it's going to absolutely kill AMD.. Bit ridiculous to rebrand a rebranded series.

They also need HBM to be out on all their upcoming cards. Every one of them. This is the only exciting thing AMD has offered to the GPU market in a long time.

They're not teasing tbh, they did originally say they'll release next lineup at computex or something next week. Then delayed it till end of June. 

However, they do need to stop fucking around with rebrands.

If 300 series is a rebrand it's going to absolutely kill AMD.. Bit ridiculous to rebrand a rebranded series.

They also need HBM to be out on all their upcoming cards. Every one of them. This is the only exciting thing AMD has offered to the GPU market in a long time.

290 series and 285 are not rebrands. Sure they could manage a rebrand. It's all about performance per dollar. No sense in developing an entire series from the ground up, 1 gen before 14nm finfet.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Hype!

2ewz395.jpg

:P Click on smilie face!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You should let people know that they have this ad in Times Square, NYC. 

You can do it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I would if I could, but I don't have the ability to edit your post...

Create new news topic

AMD ThreadRipper 2!