Game that got you into PC gaming

dougdangger

I was at Best Buy in the year 2001 I think and I saw an Alienware computer hooked up to Klipsch 2.1 THX speakers running Medal of Honor Allied Assault.  I played the Normandy Invasion stage and my jaw dropped.  The store associate literally was trying to indirectly tell me to get off the computer since I was on it for almost an hour.

I saw similar console versions and they were total crap.  Horrible controls, poor sound and ugly graphics.

The following summer I saved up and built myself a PC.  It was a 600mhz Celeron with 256mb ram, 120gb hd and are you ready for this?  CD burner!  LOL!  I was still ignorant at the time so I was using on board graphics.  I didn't care because it was leagues above the PSOne and better than the PS2.

I knew that I would never be able to buy that $3,000 Alienware computer.  But I knew that PC gaming was a league on its own.  After Christmas I bought my first video card.  Nvidia Ti 4200.  I popped in the bundled game Comanche 4 and my mind was blown.

The following years I got busy with hanging out with friends, ricing out cars :D, women... and nitro rc cars so I stopped gaming for a while.  Then I saw Crysis and it was a 2002 all over again.  The rest is history.

Inb4 Alienware hate train.

I got into PC gaming more than ever a few years ago when a friend showed me dead space 2 and battlefield 3 on his m17x. After that I sold my consoles and bought into PC stuff

For me, its gotta be Runescape. Coming from consoles, I had no idea that you could game with so many people in an open world at the same time. back then, the graphics were pretty damn impressive as well ;)

BF3!

I played it on PS3 (yes I played on PS3 before I saw the light) for about a half a year, and when I noticed that there were tons of things I was missing out on, besides graphics, I had to look into PC.

I didn't know anything about PCs or PC gaming at the time!

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Well I'd played some games on my parents' PCs, but what really got me into PC-exclusive gaming was Doom on my older brother's PC. Then getting my own PC for epic LAN deathmatches.

Before that I was mostly gaming on Amiga 500 and SNES.

Call of Duty World at War with the custom zombie map options got me into PC gaming again.  When I was a kid, I played all my games on PC like Lego Star Wars and stuff, but all my friends had consoles, so I played on a console for a while before getting back into PC gaming.

Ohh man that had to be 1995, Good ol' command and conquer at my nephews place. I remember they tried to burn it to a CD for me and they had to turn off the dryer etc because the old school CD burning was such a sensitive process, no stomping on the floor!

Need for speed Porche :D got me into racing games, but after that however, replaced by Priston Tale and there my mmo gaming starts (2006). Before that, i just played CS.

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

Team Fortress 2

I still play it almost five years later. I played Halo PC for awhile even before that, but it ran fine on all of my systems where as TF2 did not. TF2 drew me into to building a PC and ultimately getting into PC gaming.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I can't narrow it down to one single game that did it, but I played Wolfenstein 3D, Doom/II, Command & Conquer/Red Alert and a space RPG called Escape Velocity at the time. Gaming consoles were several hundred dollars for something that could only be used for gaming, while my family already had an office PC (well, an Apple Mac Performa 580). The choice was made for me.

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds for sure. I was entranced.

I don't do signatures.

For me it would of been the Day Z mod that really pushed me into PC gaming. After that I loved the freedom you get with PC. I used to play farcry on my old dell and that really first introduced to the power of PC gaming. But my friends were on console so I stayed for a bit.

Overkill Chill:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU with Hyper 212evo | RAM:  2 x 4 GB DDR3 MoBo: ASRock H61M-DGS R2.0 | PSU: Rosewill PHOTON 750W | GPU: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280 3GB | Case: Antec One Gaming | Storage: Kingston HyperX 120gb, Seagate 2 TB | OS: Windows 10 | Displays:  Asus VS228H-P, Hp 2009m

I played many games throughout the 90's but Starsiege:TRIBES is when it became official

The first Age of Empires was the game that blew my mind away and made me realize as a kid that PCs are awesome.

And then Runescape came and sealed the deal, that game was the biggest thing when I was 12 years old.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Although not the first game I'd played on PC, I think the moment of clarity came when Quake was released. I've dabbled with consoles but always kept my primary gaming setup as my PC.

minecraft

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

The game that convinced me to go to PC gaming was Next car game. Which was only a bit more then a year ago. I used to be a hardcore PC gamer with Simcity 3k and Rollercoaster Tycoon, back when I was like 8, it was tough getting time on the one computer we had in the house.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

for me, It was game called Hellbender, on Win 95. It was a space shooter.  I almost beat it, and someone broke my cd :(....

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.2ghz MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero-RAM:HyperX Fury 8gb PSU: Corsair CX750M-GPU: MSI 390x 8g HDD:WD Green 1TB KEYBOARD: Rosewill RGB8-MOUSE: Corsair Gaming RGB M65

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, oddly enough. I wanted to play that game so badly that I built a PC just for that. But I kept playing it after buying more games and I found out I like it much better than my 360

Doom. It was one of the first games I played period. I say that because before Doom, I only played Super Mario Bros and Contra on NES.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Heyyo,

Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament. Ran decent on my Ol' Compaq Presario 7970 with AMD Athlon 700 @ 700MHz with 128MB of RAM, a 40GB Hard Drive and an aftermarket upgrade with a 3DFX Voodoo 4 32MB PCI GPU. She ran Windows 98 Second Edition. :)

This purdy PC:

http://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-7970-athlon-700-mhz-128-mb-40-gb/specs/

If you want to get technical on Gaming on Computers in general? At school, The Oregon Trail. I freaking loved that game. Same with Where in The World is Carmen Sandiego. Loved that and the show. ;)

My first PC ever was a Macintosh LC 575.

This beautiful machine:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_lc/specs/mac_lc_575.html

33Mhz CPU, 8MB of RAM, 160MB Hard Drive, a GPU with 1MB of VRAM and ran Mac OS 7.5... I loved playing Marathon (Bungie's first great FPS game before making Halo) and Warcraft II. Duke Nukem 3D was cool but didn't run smooth even at a resolution of 640x480 so I played at 512x288 lol. :P

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case