The state of UHD gaming - ArsTechnica

zMeul

source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/the-state-of-4k-gaming-in-2015/

yesterday I had an argument with someone here where I said UHD gaming is not a "thing"

here's why:

digital-foundry-graph.png

barely getting an average of 60FPS, if!, from a single GPU card is way off calling it "gaming"

currently, nether AMD nor nVidia have a GPU powerful enough to constantly deliver 60FPS performance out of PC games

---

what JayzTwoCents has to say about UHD gaming: https://youtu.be/XZtROXwJSCE?t=12m - and he has 3 Titan X in SLI

You sure, have you heard of SLI? Two 970 or 980 drive 4K easily. When the 300 series come out from AMD and the 980ti from nVidia 4K will become a "thing"- it has been really for the past 6 months. To be honest, AA doesn't make a lot of difference in 4K anyway so I always turn it off and get even more FPS...

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

but its POSSIBLE if someone can afford 2 titan X cards than its going to work out for him

Titan X is fine for 4k gaming...

So 4k gaming isn't a thing for the average consumer.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

barely getting an average of 60FPS, if!, from a single GPU card is way off calling it "gaming"

currently, nether AMD nor nVidia have a GPU powerful enough to constantly deliver 60FPS performance out of PC games

I found gaming on 45+ (even sometimes 40+) FPS quite pleasant. Can you notice the difference when compared to 60 FPS? Absolutely. Not saying that 4k gaming is a thing yet (even though people are doing it in small numbers), but complaining you can't even 60 FPS on average... well I find it to be a stupid trend. I mean you can't get 60 FPS on your 7870 on any of this games when maxed on 1080p right? Also you can put some settings down, since 4k has more them pixels. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I swear if I saw triki saying it's okay to have less than 60FPS then I'm throwing a fit.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You sure, have you heard of SLI?

multi video cards setups are extremely dependent on nVidia / AMD for creating specific game profiles - sometimes they will be late, other times it won't happen for a very long time or at all

You sure, have you heard of SLI? Two 970 or 980 drive 4K easily. When the 300 series come out from AMD and the 980ti from nVidia 4K will become a "thing"- it has been really for the past 6 months. To be honest, AA doesn't make a lot of difference in 4K anyway so I always turn it off and get even more FPS...

because people buy sli along with their new shoes... get back on earth, few people can afford $1000+ upgrades every other year.

Come on, 60fps and above is a luxury IMHO, I've gamed for the last 4 years on a Dell 15r with Intel HD graphics 3000 .. Tweaking everything I could to squeeze a few fps to get at least 20 to 24 fps...

And its been less than a month since I finished my build with a gtx 980 ! It rocks though

Had a look around Norwegian e-tailers. (There's a lot of them)

Anyway, they don't even stock Titan X, they order it only when someone places an order for them. This is the first time with these unicorn cards (Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z, R9 295x2) that those e-tailers didn't even stock it. And that's because the niche for it is extremely weak. It's made for 4K, but doesn't even run it well (until DX12, anyway)

Edit: and out of the unicorn cards, only the R9 295x2 was a hit in Norway, though the first Titan did decently.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I found gaming on 45+ (even sometimes 40+) FPS quite pleasant. Can you notice the difference when compared to 60 FPS? Absolutely. Not saying that 4k gaming is a thing yet (even though people are doing it in small numbers), but complaining you can't even 60 FPS on average... well I find it to be a stupid trend. I mean you can't get 60 FPS on your 7870 on any of this games when maxed on 1080p right? Also you can put some settings down, since 4k has more them pixels.

yeah .. and at the same time people of PC laugh their ass off when consoles get 30FPS avg

what is PC gaming if you can't get consistent 60FPS? isn't that why you bought/built a "gaming PC"

Erm that's why there is this thing called Crossfire or SLI.

I also downscale games from 4K to 1080p to eliminate jaggies on a single R9 290, so 4K or UHD is a thing.

4K monitors are going down in price very aggressively.

And also if you don't mind 30FPS then 4K at 35-50FPS is already a thing, we use downscaling and anti-aliasing settings all the time to simulate a higher resolution display.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Jesus, it took a while for GPUs to catch up with 1080p, yet here we are. GPUs that CRUSH 1080p like it's nothing. My 3 year old 680 smashes 1080p no issues. 4K will be easily driven in the next 3-5 years.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Come on, 60fps and above is a luxury IMHO, I've gamed for the last 4 years on a Dell 15r with Intel HD graphics 3000 .. Tweaking everything I could to squeeze a few fps to get at least 20 to 24 fps...

And its been less than a month since I finished my build with a gtx 980 ! It rocks though

To be frank, gaming is a luxury in and of itself.

To be frank, gaming is a luxury in and of itself.

Much true !

And we complain about aspect of this luxury...

multi video cards setups are extremely dependent on nVidia / AMD for creating specific game profiles - sometimes they will be late, other times it won't happen for a very long time or at all

Really? I game in SLI on a 4K monitor and so far the two games that had poor SLI profiles are Evil Within and Mortal Kombat X.

because people buy sli along with their new shoes... get back on earth, few people can afford $1000+ upgrades every other year.

Not true. Two 970 will cost you around $750 and you don't upgrade for 2 years. You sell them for $550 and get yourself something better. Where do you come from to state that you need a $1000+ upgrade every two years?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Much true !

And we complain about aspect of this luxury...

Yep. I bitch about a lot of stuff in gaming but I still am very thankful that I can bitch about that rather than something more important.

yeah .. and at the same time people of PC laugh their ass off when consoles get 30FPS avg

what is PC gaming if you can't get consistent 60FPS? isn't that why you bought/built a "gaming PC"

Another thing that makes PC gaming so great is the ability to change the graphics settings. If you aren't happy with your FPS, drop dem settings!

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Really? I game in SLI on a 4K monitor and so far the two games that had poor SLI profiles are Evil Within and Mortal Kombat X.

Not true. Two 970 will cost you around $750 and you don't upgrade for 2 years. You sell them for $550 and get yourself something better. Where do you come from to state that you need a $1000+ upgrade every two years?

Hell even a crossfire R9 290/290X is cheaper than that and just as capable. You definitely don't need to spend more than $750 for moderate 4K gaming.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Another thing that makes PC gaming so great is the ability to change the graphics settings. If you aren't happy with your FPS, drop dem settings!

riight, that's why you buy a 1000$ video card, to play at lower settings - facepalm

source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/the-state-of-4k-gaming-in-2015/

yesterday I had an argument with someone here where I said UHD gaming is not a "thing"

here's why:

digital-foundry-graph.png

barely getting an average of 60FPS, if!, from a single GPU card is way off calling it "gaming"

AntiAliasing at 4k? oh ffs people.

riight, that's why you buy a 1000$ video card, to play at lower settings - facepalm

Sometimes dropping from Ultra to high doesn't take the eye candy away but gives you 20FPS in return.

I have 2 r290xs and have yet to have had any problems at 4k.

Single gpu is too young at this stage but we are getting closer each year. The same could have been said about 1440p a few years ago.

That's why I said at least 45 (in some cases 40). Don't mind me, I think 60 is still the best (never saw a monitor with higher refresh rate so can't talk about higher FPS's).

And I think people laugh at consoles because they were supposed to be "true next gen", and PC's could "hope of catching up". You know, the irony. And they can't maintain even 30 in some cases.

And in some extreme cases, the devs really fuck up everything, so they should also take much of the blame.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.