Witcher 3 Benchmarks [Day 1 Patch]

christianled59

Previously, there had been benchmarks before launch showing that the Witcher 3 required a Titan X for 1080p 60fps gameplay and a 980 was barely pushing 50 frames. These benchmarks were either false, or the patch gave about 20% better performance. Regardless, here is a revised benchmark that I feel more accurately depicts performance in this game.

witcher-bench-1080-u.jpg

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1947-witcher-3-pc-graphics-card-fps-benchmark#!/ccomment

Unfortunately, this benchmark does not include a gtx 970. I can provide personal benchmarks later tonight for that card. Although, I know from playing last night, I get 50-60 fps ultra 1080p.

The game isn't flawless in terms of performance but I feel the hate and overreaction of previous benchmarks was undeserved. Admittedly, I too overreacted. Now that the game is out, we can properly judge it.

Regarding the downgrade, if you want to fix the color pallet, check this out:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/369549-witcher-3-graphics-fix-color-fix/#entry5004706

The-Witcher-3-screens-06.jpg

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

In what world is a 960 faster than a 780?

Still think the driver needs tweaking as kepler looks a bit crap right now which makes me sad :(

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

turning foliage range down from ultra to high gives you alot of frames back why cant they do a benchmark with settings like that

turning foliage range down from ultra to high gives you alot of frames back why cant they do a benchmark with settings like that

I'll benchmark that tonight. For both a 970 and 660.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Ahhh GameWorks.

Really makes games better doesnt it?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Still think the driver needs tweaking as kepler looks a bit crap right now which makes me sad :(

I agree. Perhaps it's the hair works, as the 780 is an older card and might not support newer features as well. It's strange, maybe it will be fixed. Let's not turn this into an Nvidia conspiracy thread though.

Where is my Ares 3 ? how can they not bench with a Ares 3 ?

i call BS!

Well there is crossfire 290x benchmarks in the source.

Edit: nvm.

NVidia HairWorks: Part of nVidia's GameWorks SDK that's provided to game developers. HairWorks is entirely built for nVidia devices and should be disabled for all AMD devices. We disabled this completely for all testing to eliminate test variance, regardless of which manufacturers was presently on the bench.

You can remove 20+fps form that Titan X benchmark, if you enable HairWorks, so the benchmarks are kinda pointless.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I agree. Perhaps it's the hair works, as the 780 is an older card and might not support newer features as well. It's strange, maybe it will be fixed. Let's not turn this into an Nvidia conspiracy thread though.

Yeah, I just read the optimization post on the geforce page talking about the 3x performance maxwell has over kepler in regards to teselation, but there was controversy around amd cards suffering due to the same reason, and they seem fine on the graph...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Probably nvidia prioritizing maxwell cards, or maxwell cards are just better at tesselation.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

So the gtx 780 is slower than the gtx 960 in withcer land.

I see.

Seems to be the same for several games. Including Project Cars. I'm not sure if it's driver issues, gameworks, or just that it's an older architecture, but it sure is a shame to see it sinking down the drain. Especially since people spent so much on it no more than a year ago.

Seems to be the same for several games. Including Project Cars. I'm not sure if it's driver issues, gameworks, or just that it's an older architecture, but it sure is a shame to see it sinking down the drain. Especially since people spent so much on it no more than a year ago.

Nvidia prioritizes their newer GPUS and leaves older GPU owners in the dirt .

This kind of gap should not exist since the gtx 770 is on average faster than the gtx 960.

Random somewhat related Gif:

http://fat.gfycat.com/OfficialTeemingCatfish.webm

You can remove 20+fps form that Titan X benchmark, if you enable HairWorks, so the benchmarks are kinda pointless.

It only takes off ~ 5-7 fps for me. It's not that dramatic. It was for the previous benchmarks people saw before launch, but that was before a day 1 patch. As far as we know, it could have been bullshit.

It's like they want ppl to buy a 960 and get rid of their 780. That's straight up bull.

If this happens on MGS5 as well..... Dayum

SHHHH dont say anything bad about nvidia or the defense brigade will come to this thread as well.

From every benchmark I saw it seems the game prefers Maxwell way more than Kepler cards (960 faster than 780 / 970 faster than 780ti)...I hope future drivers will cut this gap

System:  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white) | Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe | CPU: i7 5820k @ 4.4 GHz | GPU: 2x EVGA 780TI Classified K|ngp|n Edition in SLI | PSU: EVGA 1300W G2 + white cable sleeve set | SSD: 3x Samsung 840 EVO (250GB (boot) + 2x 500GB in Raid 0) RAM: Panram Ninja white DDR4 32GB @ 2400 MHz Cooling: Custom loop feat. EK (blocks for CPU + GPUs) / XSPC (Pump-Res-Combo + 2 radiators (480 + 360)) / Bitspower (fittings) | opt. drive: ASUS BluRay Combo | LED strips + controller: Phobya | Fans: Corsair (AF+SP) / Noiseblocker | OS: Windows 8.1 64bit | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: ASUS ROG GX1000 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia Elite | Monitor: Asus PB278Q + QNIX QX2710 (both 27'' / 1440p) | Printer: Samsung CLP-365W

Scores (max settings):  Firestrike: 12841 (single) - 21011 (SLI) | Firestrike extreme: 6338 (single) - 11314 (SLI) | Heaven 4.0 1080p: 1881 (single) - 3379 (SLI) | Heaven 4.0 1440p: 1182 (single) - 2197 (SLI) | Valley 1.0 1080p: 3358 (single) - 4759 (SLI) | Valley 1.0 1440p: 2118 (single) - 3672 (SLI)

It's mentioned many times in the Nvidia tweaking guide (is quite an informative read) they just put out that Maxwell cards are significantly faster at tesselation than previous gen cards.

Maybe that's the culprit?

Also, turning down foilage to high would net a lot of frames, biggest performance killer in the game. It only really affects foilage in the far distance between the two settings. Hope there are optimizations down the road. My 980 shouldn't be playing 60fps in 1080p land.

I wonder how I'm going to do in 1440p..... sure there will be benchmarks out soon

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

GameWorks etc, I think they used a lot of maxwell stuff.

Happy to see my 980 at the 60fps mark though :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

So the gtx 780 is slower than the gtx 960 in withcer land.

I see.

I think its because the games uses tons of Tessellation and the newer cards (according to the Nvidia site) have  up to 3x faster tessellation support so older cards will suffer

(maybe?)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii