Microsoft planning "attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers" to grab pirates

Samfisher

If by attractive offer Microsoft means free, I'm all in. Seriously. Windows is the only big OS that's not free. Hell, even Apple has been doing it for a number of years now. Does Microsoft want to promote piracy of Windows 10? Because by making it not free they 100% are.

Ye ole' train

If by attractive offer Microsoft means free, I'm all in. Seriously. Windows is the only big OS that's not free. Hell, even Apple has been doing it for a number of years now. Does Microsoft want to promote piracy of Windows 10? Because by making it not free they 100% are.

Mac OS X is not free. You're paying for it every time you buy an iPhone or an iMac. The cost of the OS is built into the cost of the hardware. Apple is first and foremost a Hardware company.

Microsoft is not. They only make two big lineups of hardware: XBox and Surface. Sales of the Microsoft Surface tablets cannot possibly be expected to subsidize the cost of Windows.

Where do you think the money is going to come from to fund Windows? Invariably, if Windows becomes free, one of two things will happen:

1. Windows will have less money put into it, thus creating an inferior product compared to what we've historically received. Quality will suffer.

2. Windows will receive the same funding, cut from other divisions in Microsoft - say, from Microsoft Office or XBox - as a result, those other divisions will suffer.

Possibly both.

I don't get this attitude. Linux is free because of two main reasons:

1. The Linux Foundation is privately funded by dozens of companies.

2. The various Linux distro's (RedHat, Ubuntu, etc) charge corporations for support contracts.

As you can see, the business model for Apple and Linux are completely different in themselves, let alone compared to Microsoft.

Do you like Windows? Do you want to continue to use Windows? Then you must pay for it. The alternatives would be worse.

Don't want to pay for Windows? Fine, don't. Use Linux - or if you have a Mac, use Mac OS X (Since according to the EULA, OS X cannot be used with non-apple Hardware, thus making Hackintosh's technically illegal).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So wait, non genuine systems? Even though I paid $99 for my copy of windows 7, I'm still a pirate or something?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So wait, non genuine systems? Even though I paid $99 for my copy of windows 7, I'm still a pirate or something?

Huh?

You paid for your copy of Windows 7, yes? It came with a key, yes? You've activated Windows, yes?

Then your copy is genuine.

Non-genuine means cracked copies that forced activation with a non-legit key.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Huh?

You paid for your copy of Windows 7, yes? It came with a key, yes? You've activated Windows, yes?

Then your copy is genuine.

Non-genuine means cracked copies that forced activation with a non-legit key.

"While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state"

The term "devices" makes it seem like they aren't offering the free upgrade to anyone who built their own PC, and only to those who bought a POS pre-built OEM PC

"While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state"

The term "devices" makes it seem like they aren't offering the free upgrade to anyone who built their own PC, and only to those who bought a POS pre-built OEM PC

This is just PR talk. Devices is a vague word that can mean anything.

They've already confirmed multiple times that the free upgrade will be available to all genuine versions of Windows 7 Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate.

This is just PR talk. Devices is a vague word that can mean anything.

They've already confirmed multiple times that the free upgrade will be available to all genuine versions of Windows 7 Home Premium, Pro and Ultimate.

Oh, good. Was going to be PISSED if I couldn't get it for free just because I wasn't stupid enough to buy an HP or a Dell.

Oh, good. Was going to be PISSED if I couldn't get it for free just because I wasn't stupid enough to buy an HP or a Dell.

Yeah no doubt. NOW lets hope they stick to their word and don't pull any shenanigans at the last minute like "oh we only meant this and this, not that".

Yeah no doubt. NOW lets hope they stick to their word and don't pull any shenanigans at the last minute like "oh we only meant this and this, not that".

If I remember correctly, Microsoft is the king of that.

I hope they do the free to consumers, but $$$ to business approach.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

So Microsoft wants to make sure that everyone will change to Windows 10? 

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

So Microsoft wants to make sure that everyone will change to Windows 10? 

Well they desperately don't want another "Windows XP" situation. People were using XP 13+ years after it came out. It literally was holding back the software and hardware industry because it was so old and outdated that it simply couldn't run many modern things.

Furthermore, XP is a massive security risk, being fundamentally less secure compared to any modern OS, with vulnerabilities up the ass.

Will valid license users from older OS be able to do clean reinstall or just un upgrade via update on currently installed older Windows? Would like to know will upgrading be like getting a legit W10 so I can do clean install.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Will valid license users from older OS be able to do clean reinstall or just un upgrade via update on currently installed older Windows? Would like to know will upgrading be like getting a legit W10 so I can do clean install.

All sources point towards being able to do a clean install if desired.

Yes it is. Win 7 and up get a free upgrade to 10, this is mostly for the pirates.

I bet, the only free in windows 10 we will get is the first year

I bet, the only free in windows 10 we will get is the first year

What do you mean?

They've already specifically clarified that this is what will happen:

If you upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of release, then you will receive a valid Windows 10 license, forever.

After the first year of release is over, anyone who hasn't already upgraded to Windows 10 must pay and buy the regular upgrade versions that anyone normally would.

Does that clear things up for you?

Gonna have to be a pretty good offer, otherwise it'll be cheaper to buy a cd key for win8.1 from g2a for £18, then upgrade for free.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

I am hoping the retail pricing is going to be like windows 8 when it first launched. That is one thing that is going to make many pirates convert.

But I already pay monthly for the internet so everything that is there should be free.

What do you mean?

If you upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of release, then you will receive a valid Windows 10 license, forever.

After the first year of release is over, anyone who hasn't already upgraded to Windows 10 must pay and buy the regular upgrade versions that anyone normally would.

Ooh.. I missed that bit

*screw you college, you make me look like an idiot because I miss tech things*

All sources point towards being able to do a clean install if desired.

This is no longer true.

What do you mean?

After their "clarification" today this seems kind of in the air.

Here is the quote:

The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update (NOT the App Store like Windows 8 to 8.1). This means if you re-install Windows, you need to install your Windows 7/8/8.1, and then upgrade to Windows 10; Currently there is no information on ISO download. Domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

So you won't be able to do a clean install of Windows 10, only upgrade. So if that is the case, your Windows 7 and 8 license will still just be a Windows 7 or 8 license, not a Windows 10 one. So what happens if you have to reinstall Windows 10? According to the other post, you will have to install Windows 7 or 8 again, and then download the upgrade through Windows update, but then how does it know I upgraded within 1 year before?

Each time Microsoft tries to clarify something I just get more confused...

Each time Microsoft tries to clarify something I just get more confused...

I think it is best to wait for Microsoft PR announcements for a clear statement.

i have never pirated my OS never saw the point, webt from 3.11 to 98 then 2k used that for AAGES then XP then win 7  it has always been easier to spend the money and never have to worry about anything ever

also i hate the stand alone thing i dont upgrade my OS always format and fresh install to make sure its virgin

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85