Windows 10 (8core beating 4 cores?)

Techinoob

I heard rumors that supposedly 8 core processors will dominate 4 core processors due to Direct x 12 when windows 10 releases in a few months I just got rid of my 8 core processor and bought a intel i7 4970k so I hope this isn't true lol :( 

Ofcourse they are rumors but you never know :(

Wait what? Don't 8 cores always beat 4 cores?

I think he's talking about 8350 vs 4790K

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

-Snipe-

If that "8 core processor" was something like an 8350, and DX12 does effectively utilize 8 threads, the 4790k will still win.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I think he's talking about 8350 vs 4790K

Oh I thought he meant like a 5960x vs 4690k

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

To reiterate what's already been said, it's not going to save AMD chips. Sure they'll perform a tad better in DX12 applications than they did in DX11 or previously, but not as good as your i7.

DX12 won't magically improve CPU performance.  I don't get how people are still convinced about this.  DX12 only saves you if the game in question was draw-call bottlenecked, and ONLY draw-call bottlenecked.  Not draw-call bottlenecked?  DX12 won't do anything for you.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

To reiterate what's already been said, it's not going to save AMD chips. Sure they'll perform a tad better in DX12 applications than they did in DX11 or previously, but not as good as your i7.

Alright I was just curious thanks guys can't wait till windows 10 comes out. ah

if what you meant was fx 8350 vs i5 4690 then yeah, 8350 will floor it.

Well I had the 8core 8350 and upgraded to the intel i7 4970k.

with Benchmarks the Intel actually beats the 8350

An intel Hex or Octacore will beat an Intel Quad Core, but an Intel Quadcore will beat an AMD quad or octacore. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

if what you meant was fx 8350 vs i5 4690 then yeah, 8350 will floor it.

"floor it" is quite the exaggeration. the 8350 barely beats it in applications that fully utilize all available threads (which games probably won't be able to do, even with DX12). If you include overclocking (due to higher IPC), the 4690k likely beats it even in those benchmarks. :P

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

the 4790k will always be better than the 8350, even with DX12

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

An i5 4440 already smokes an FX 8350 in games, and since it will also receive the same boost as an FX 8350, the FX 8350 will still show its extremely poor design and age. (FX 9590's don't count, factory suicide clocked FX 8320's).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The only true AMD octacore's were the "16" core opteron server CPU's.

That's actually 8 modules, 16 iCores ("i" for integer). Technically a 16 core, but really a big 'fuck you' to customers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think people are way too optimistic about DX12, just like with previous DX releases.

I agree. 

And I don't see dx 12 suddenly making AMD cpu's better then Intel. If anything it will improve performance of both platforms similarly. If dx 12 makes an 8350 even better then an i5 they wont be able to keep stock. But it isn't going to happen :P

Heyyo,

Yes and no.... Yes an eight core CPU can beat a four core...

No, as in the game engine still needs to be developed with eight threads in mind. Look at current games.. some use a single core for all computing minus physics and sound running separate threads (World of Tanks) and then you have some games which utilize eight threads nicely (GTA V & Planetside 2). I don't see how DirectX 12 will change that fact unless they make it so dummy proof that DirectX 12 handles the CPU workloads... which I highly doubt.

Also, it's a little more about the processor's frequency clock and instructions per cycle than core count these days. Current games tend to perform optimally at four cores.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

An i5 4440 already smokes an FX 8350 in games, and since it will also receive the same boost as an FX 8350, the FX 8350 will still show its extremely poor design and age. (FX 9590's don't count, factory suicide clocked FX 8320's).

Suicide clocked is the best description I have ever heard for them.

well the 8350 already beats the i7 in some things like 3D rendering in MAYA but stuff like that is vary well optimized for more cores and more CPUs and even more computers working on it 

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

...so I hope this isn't true. 

Why would you wish worse for others? :P lol

I hope it does run better on 8 cores, as long as it runs well enough on my 4 cores.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)