Cheapest CPU for Dual R9 295x2 GPUs

yeah I think ill be getting an i5 4440, just want to make sure Whaler thinks its okay, i kinda trust him. but yeah everyone else seems to think an i5 will be fine

Core wise, the i5-4440 is fine. I'm a little concerned about the PCIe bandwidth in the long run though. The i5 4440 only has 16 PCIe lanes, so if you use more than one graphics card it forces each slot into X8 mode. Just something to keep in mind.

Why would you buy the 2nd best card on the market and cheap out on the cpu? I would go for an i7-4790k.

Its not for gaming dummy, its for folding. An i7 is WAY overkill, and a waste of money.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

yeah I think ill be getting an i5 4440, just want to make sure Whaler thinks its okay, i kinda trust him. but yeah everyone else seems to think an i5 will be fine

Core wise, the i5-4440 is fine. I'm a little concerned about the PCIe bandwidth in the long run though. The i5 4440 only has 16 PCIe lanes, so if you use more than one graphics card it forces each slot into X8 mode. Just something to keep in mind.

Its not for gaming dummy, its for folding. An i7 is WAY overkill, and a waste of money.

If you're only looking to utilize the GPUs and not the CPU, just get a G1820. It has just as many PCIe lanes as the i5-4440, and PCIe 3.0 x8 won't be a bottleneck for folding.

"Rawr XD"

i5-4460

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

OK, so do you have a reccomendation for a different CPU? What about the G1820 like he is saying?

If you're only looking to utilize the GPUs and not the CPU, just get a G1820. It has just as many PCIe lanes as the i5-4440, and PCIe 3.0 x8 won't be a bottleneck for folding.

Yeah maybie, I didn't think about pcie lanes.. Good thought.

So yeah, the G1820 could be an idea, anything else I should be worried about?

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

OK, so do you have a reccomendation for a different CPU? What about the G1820 like he is saying?

Yeah maybie, I didn't think about pcie lanes.. Good thought.

So yeah, the G1820 could be an idea, anything else I should be worried about?

The G1820 and i5-4440 work the same, it's just that the i5 is more powerful. If you're not utilizing the CPU past the point where you'll need more then two cores at 2.7GHz, you won't really notice a difference between the Celeron and the i5. The Celeron still has 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, just like the i5, and should be able to run two 295X2 without issue given you're using a compatible motherboard.

"Rawr XD"

The G1820 and i5-4440 work the same, it's just that the i5 is more powerful. If you're not utilizing the CPU past the point where you'll need more then two cores at 2.7GHz, you won't really notice a difference between the Celeron and the i5. The Celeron still has 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, just like the i5, and should be able to run two 295X2 without issue given you're using a compatible motherboard.

so to be safe you think I should get the i5..? I though I was gonna have issues with pcie lanes? Are pcue lanes gonna matter if all I do is fold on the cards?

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

so to be safe you think I should get the i5..? I though I was gonna have issues with pcie lanes? Are pcue lanes gonna matter if all I do is fold on the cards?

If you're going to be folding using only the GPUs, there will be no benefit of getting the i5 over the Celeron. 

"Rawr XD"

If you're going to be folding using only the GPUs, there will be no benefit of getting the i5 over the Celeron. 

No, the Celeron only has 2 cores. I need somthing with at least 4 cores. Ill have a total of 4 GPUs on two cards, so i need somthing with at least 4 cores.

No, the Celeron only has 2 cores. I need somthing with at least 4 cores. Ill have a total of 4 GPUs on two cards, so i need somthing with at least 4 cores.

It doesn't work that way lol, the GPU cores operate independently from the CPU cores

"Rawr XD"

It doesn't work that way lol, the GPU cores operate independently from the CPU cores

I realize that they operate independently, but back when i had the idea for this project, @Whaler_99 told me that a good rule of thumb is to have at least one CPU core for each GPU core. I kind of like that idea, and its not too hard for me to get a low level i5 anyway. the i5 will be more powerful, and will be better if i want to put it in somthing else down the road.

For the record, the E5-1231V3 Xeon is nice. It's an i7 basically, but it's not i7 priced.

I realize that they operate independently, but back when i had the idea for this project, @Whaler_99 told me that a good rule of thumb is to have at least one CPU core for each GPU core. I kind of like that idea, and its not too hard for me to get a low level i5 anyway. the i5 will be more powerful, and will be better if i want to put it in somthing else down the road.

There's always the i3 which has dual cores with Hyper-Threading if you're going to put it to use somewhere else down the road, but for just GPU folding it's fine to have a dual core with 4 GPUs. I've seen people run 6 or more GPUs using risers with a mere Core 2 Duo

"Rawr XD"

From what @Me1z told me, (I think it was him anyway) they work with the CPU on core17 and core18 projects, and the GPUs only work independently on core15s, which I've never got one ever on my 270

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Just like the title says, what would be the cheapest CPU that i could buy that will have enough power to be able to run a pair of 295x2 cards? Will I have to go i7? Or will somthing like an i5 work? @Whaler_99 can you help out here?

You just want to boot your computer or game with it?

So you actually want a cpu which wouldn't bottlebeck dual r9 295x2 cards?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

From what @Me1z told me, (I think it was him anyway) they work with the CPU on core17 and core18 projects, and the GPUs only work independently on core15s, which I've never got one ever on my 270

^ this is the reason that i want to make sure i have enough cores on my CPU. even if your not folding on the CPU it is still gonna be being used, and with 4 GPUs on one CPU it can be hard to decide. I know that i want something with 4 cores, before hyperthreading. i dont want to have to rely on hyperthreading to do work. So i dont want somthing with less then 4 cores. I just wish @Whaler_99 would weigh in on this, that man is a genius.  

You just want to boot your computer or game with it?

So you actually want a cpu which wouldn't bottlebeck dual r9 295x2 cards?

the ONLY thing i will be doing with this rig is folding. IO want a cpu that wil be able to power all 4 GPU cores i will be putting in the machine.

There's always the i3 which has dual cores with Hyper-Threading if you're going to put it to use somewhere else down the road, but for just GPU folding it's fine to have a dual core with 4 GPUs. I've seen people run 6 or more GPUs using risers with a mere Core 2 Duo

I dont want to have to rely on hyper threading. I want somthing with 4 cores, wether i need it or not.. idk, but i like to be more safe then sorry. for me i think an i5 is a safe bet.

^ this is the reason that i want to make sure i have enough cores on my CPU. even if your not folding on the CPU it is still gonna be being used, and with 4 GPUs on one CPU it can be hard to decide. I know that i want something with 4 cores, before hyperthreading. i dont want to have to rely on hyperthreading to do work. So i dont want somthing with less then 4 cores. I just wish @Whaler_99 would weigh in on this, that man is a genius.  

If you really don't want to use HT, AMD has cheaper quad cores, but i5-4440 is really the best option for the money you'll get on Intel's side.

"Rawr XD"

If you really don't want to use HT, AMD has cheaper quad cores, but i5-4440 is really the best option for the money you'll get on Intel's side.

what AMD chip did you have in mind. i dont mind going amd, i was just told that intel had better reliability for folding, but it would be cool to do an amd build. we do have to keep in mind the PCIe lanes tho, i need a TON of pcie bandwith for these cards

what AMD chip did you have in mind. i dont mind going amd, i was just told that intel had better reliability for folding, but it would be cool to do an amd build. we do have to keep in mind the PCIe lanes tho, i need a TON of pcie bandwith for these cards

There's the FX4 and the 860K. I'm not too big into folding, but I'm pretty sure PCIe bandwidth is an issue as long as you have enough PCIe lanes to support the cards in the first place, cause the cards are just receiving data, doing the computing/folding on that data, and then sending it back. It's not like gaming where you have constant heavy loads of data being streamed back and forths to the card. X8 should not bottleneck a 295X2 for folding.

"Rawr XD"

There's the FX4 and the 860K. I'm not too big into folding, but I'm pretty sure PCIe bandwidth is an issue as long as you have enough PCIe lanes to support the cards in the first place, cause the cards are just receiving data, doing the computing/folding on that data, and then sending it back. It's not like gaming where you have constant heavy loads of data being streamed back and forths to the card. X8 should not bottleneck a 295X2 for folding.

okay, ill take a look into those CPUs as soon as i get the chance, but yeah, they could very well be good options. and yeah im not sure about PCIE lanes, i just know i need enough, no idea what i need for speed. i assume x8 should be enough

I would go x99 with a 5820k.....but that's just me. one core per gpu and 2 to spare

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I would go x99 with a 5820k.....but that's just me. one core per gpu and 2 to spare

yeah im kinda trying to go cheap, the 5820k isnt exactly cheap

Don't listen to the moron telling you to get the 5960X. Any i5 from 2nd gen and up will be fine. Possibly even older CPUs wouldn't be a problem.