Cheapest CPU for Dual R9 295x2 GPUs

What do you actually playn to do with your system? If you play games, are you going to play CPU intensive games?

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

An i5 4440/60 will be just fine

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

What do you actually playn to do with your system? If you play games, are you going to play CPU intensive games?

Folding. Nothing but folding. My gaming rig would kick the crap out of this build,. this is for folding only.

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

yep :) im looking at the 4440

I'm using mine with the 280 and have no problems but I use it for gaming not folding. You definitely won't be disappointed by it

I'm using mine with the 280 and have no problems but I use it for gaming not folding. You definitely won't be disappointed by it

yeah ill be pushing a little more then a 28 through it.. ill be running the eqivilent of four 290x cards through it.. i just hope it has the umph i need

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

yeah ill be pushing a little more then a 28 through it.. ill be running the eqivilent of four 290x cards through it.. i just hope it has the umph i need

It has, don't worry

Folding. Nothing but folding. My gaming rig would kick the crap out of this build,. this is for folding only.

I don't know much about Folding@Home but guess you're going to be Folding@Home by using your GPUs only. If so then the i5 4440 would be perfectly fine.  :)

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

It has, don't worry

yeah, it should run well, ill be getting some CRAZY numbers out of this rig for sure, im excited to see how much PPD i can pump out of this rig

Ah, okay. I don't know much about Folding@HomeI but guess you're going to be Folding@Home by using your GPUs only if you want the cheapest CPU for the Dual 295x2s. If so then the i5 4440 would be perfectly fine.  :)

and yeah, ill be running just the GPUs for folding. its not really worth it to spend a ton of money on a CPU then try to fold on it as they dont do as good as GPUs

and yeah, ill be running just the GPUs for folding. its not really worth it to spend a ton of money on a CPU then try to fold on it as they dont do as good as GPUs

Good to know

IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY BOTTLE NECKS, than the Intel Core i7 4820K is your cheapest option. However, if 2*8 PCI-E is okay, than even an Intel Pentium G3258 would be fine.

IF YOU DON'T WANT ANY BOTTLE NECKS, than the Intel Core i7 4820K is your cheapest option. However, if 2*8 PCI-E is okay, than even an Intel Pentium G3258 would be fine.

I dont think that the speed of the interface is an issue. I was informed that if i ran a i5 4440 then i will be able to run the two 295x2 cards at a 3.0 x8 speed. the motherboard i am looking at has a total of two generation 3.0 x16 slots, but they will run in x8 when i get both cards installed

I dont think that the speed of the interface is an issue. I was informed that if i ran a i5 4440 then i will be able to run the two 295x2 cards at a 3.0 x8 speed. the motherboard i am looking at has a total of two generation 3.0 x16 slots, but they will run in x8 when i get both cards installed

That could be, but since those cards are x16 cards, (8 channels per 290 GPU), you may have some bottle necking, but hey, the Pentium would work too.

That could be, but since those cards are x16 cards, (8 channels per 290 GPU), you may have some bottle necking, but hey, the Pentium would work too.

so what your saying is that even tho there is no motherboard that supports dual x16 speeds that they espect you to run them in x16 anyway? if your running two of the cards then 99% of the time they will be running in x8 x8 mode. besides i dont think that the bus speeds matter too much. the cards arent trasferring data back and forth while folding. this is folding, not hardcore gaming.

why would a xeon be better? i dont wanna sound rude, but why?

Cheaper than an i7, performs like an i7, it's 4cores/8threads

If you won't be using hyperthreading, then an i5 would do you fine

Cheaper than an i7, performs like an i7, it's 4cores/8threads

If you won't be using hyperthreading, then an i5 would do you fine

PCIe lanes? will it have enough power to run both of these 295x2 cards at at least x8 speeds? I know that my motherboard wont support dual x16 slots, because i am required to go mATX

PCIe lanes? will it have enough power to run both of these 295x2 cards at at least x8 speeds? I know that my motherboard wont support dual x16 slots, because i am required to go mATX

it has 1 x16 pcie 3.0 or 2 x8

it has 1 x16 pcie 3.0 or 2 x8

so yeah ill have to run the cards at x8/x8 mode. but yeah, it could be worth it. ill have to look into it

@mosin40 that xeon is almost 230 bucks.. the point was to keep it cheap :P and yeah, i dont think im gonna need hyperthreading, but idlk, the i5 seems to be the best so far

so what your saying is that even tho there is no motherboard that supports dual x16 speeds that they espect you to run them in x16 anyway? if your running two of the cards then 99% of the time they will be running in x8 x8 mode. besides i dont think that the bus speeds matter too much. the cards arent trasferring data back and forth while folding. this is folding, not hardcore gaming.

There are some MoBos that have 2*16 PCI-E support though.

@mosin40 that xeon is almost 230 bucks.. the point was to keep it cheap :P and yeah, i dont think im gonna need hyperthreading, but idlk, the i5 seems to be the best so far

Sure, then get the i5 :D

Probably your best bet.

Btw are you going to xfire both 295x2??