My friend is claiming that he's using DDR5 ram on a i7-4770k

Go to solution Solved by wyattzx,

DDR5 doesn't exist.

At first I thought he was just confused about GDDR5 and DDR3 ram but he explicitly stated that's the ram sticks. According to him, a friend from caltech "modified" his cpu and mobo to support it. 

Reasons for Bullshit

1. x86 architecture doesn't just get modified to support ddr5

2. Neither does the motherboard

3. I couldn't find a single article on ddr5 development

4. I doubt anything would even support running it

Am I being completely logical right now or does it actually exist...

I would not worry about this too much. No need to argue with him over the issue.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

DDR5 doesn't exist.

NO! But my NVIDIA Radeon GTX 780 has DDR5!!!!

/s

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Sounds more like the friend who "modified" his stuff is full of shit, not your friend. Your friend is just gullible.

NO! But my NVIDIA Radeon GTX 780 has DDR5!!!!

/s

The G in GDDR5 stands for gullible. It's really just DDR3 chips on GPUs.

/s

The G in GDDR5 stands for gullible. It's really just DDR3 chips on GPUs.

/s

BUT NVIDIA SAYS IT'S GRAPHICS DDR5, it just has fancy graphics printed on each memory module

/s

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I know he's completely full of shit. I mostly made thread to see if DDR5 even existed at all.

At least your friend doesn't make "my friend claims something stupid" threads

If i was you i would actually play along with it , ask for some benchmarks and other things , or a program that scans ya hardware and gives a detailed info about your pc and would troll him back in many ways xD

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Dear Friend - Show me Speccy where it shows GDDR5 System Memory.. :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz