(A link to the article: NintendoLife.com)

Nintendo are up against Microsoft and Sony when it comes down to gaming networks on the console. Microsoft and Sony are rocking the top 3 with a tie for first place on the network quality. Though both have a great and stable network, Nintendo is producing the better games in my opinion.

I like the games that come out for the Nintendo console better, no doubt. But I straight up don't play them as often because I don't have anyone to play them with.

Nintendo are really losing the race this way, so them looking into making the online experience better is a great step in the right direction if you ask me.

Why do region locks exist anyway? They mostly produce their own games, so why do they block players from around the world from interacting and enjoying the game together?

Alright, that was my opinion on this topic. What do you guys think?

Greetz, 

Alean

It's not with all games, that region locking makes it so you can't play together from different areas.

I know Mario Super Striker on the Wii had it so for example UK and US people can't play together online, but you can play Mario Kart (I know Wii and 8 for sure) with everyone around the world.

But it would be great if they removed region blocking again.

Would love to be able to buy 3DS games on eBay intended for the US market or something :)

I'm actually playing Pokemon Sapphire from the US on a European (PAL) GBA SP. Just because I unintentionally got an American copy on the flea market :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Interesting, but I doubt it. It usually has to do with local regulations why it isn't possible to do it without region locking (although that isn't always the case).

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It's not with all games, that region locking makes it so you can't play together from different areas.

I know Mario Super Striker on the Wii had it so for example UK and US people can't play together online, but you can play Mario Kart (I know Wii and 8 for sure) with everyone around the world.

But it would be great if they removed region blocking again.

Would love to be able to buy 3DS games on eBay intended for the US market or something :)

I'm actually playing Pokemon Sapphire from the US on a European (PAL) GBA SP. Just because I unintentionally got an American copy on the flea market :P

There are some major games that are not region locked like Mario-Kart 8. They couldn't possibly region-block such a highly anticipated title, it would lose them too much money...

But one of my all time favorite games, Mario Super Striker, I could not play with people from around the world! 

Nintendo are the last company i see going region free

They are missing out so badly!

Interesting, but I doubt it. It usually has to do with local regulations why it isn't possible to do it without region locking (although that isn't always the case).

Then how come Microsoft and Sony are not limited due local regulations?

There are some major games that are not region locked like Mario-Kart 8. They couldn't possibly region-block such a highly anticipated title, it would lose them too much money...

But one of my all time favorite games, Mario Super Striker, I could not play with people from around the world! 

Well, that was the only 'big' game I could think off that was region locked, so you can't play online with people from other places :P

Thankfully the Mario Kart games are not region locked

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Then how come Microsoft and Sony are not limited due local regulations?

Depends on the implication probably, I'm really not an expert on these matters but I think that it also has to do with stuff like international reselling and stuff.

Multiplayer regionlock is still silly, but I'm quite sure they have reasons for it (although it is Nintendo...)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Depends on the implication probably, I'm really not an expert on these matters but I think that it also has to do with stuff like international reselling and stuff.

Multiplayer regionlock is still silly, but I'm quite sure they have reasons for it (although it is Nintendo...)

Its to do with the seller, not the consumer. Though nonetheless they are falling behind as the world changes. I am from Europe and I have friends across the ocean whom I want to play games with. Everyone around the world connects and Nintendo are not taking part in it...

Region locking has to do with region laws and regulations. Also, sometimes it is cheaper to import than buying locally in some regions (due to taxes and other governmental fees and regulations.), and that hurts the local region publishers (many games have multiple publishers for different regions).

And when it comes to governmental regulations, the company can be seen as responsible for not locking the game to the region.

It is all very complicated, but there is no game console that is truly region free. Even Windows 8 and 10 app store is region lock, if the developer wants to/needs to.

As for regional locking for a game, that could simply be the online infrastructure for the game might not be there to allow cross country playing.

It could be anywhere from limited servers at the time of game development, to requires special connections between countries for faster low latency connection. Companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook and so on, they build the infrastructure or pay for this premium connection with the top most (1st tier) ISPs (those are not the ones you subscribes to for your internet needs). This is why you can play, say StarCraft 2, with Korea or Japan just fine. But visiting a Korean or Japanese web site from North America is so slow, despite them having a better internet than North America.

Finally, Nintendo is finally changing it ways and it took them how long exactly. At least they are seeing the light now, hopefully they will keep making good positive changes.

Region locking has to do with region laws and regulations. Also, sometimes it is cheaper to import than buying locally in some regions (due to taxes and other governmental fees and regulations.), and that hurts the local region publishers (many games have multiple publishers for different regions).

And when it comes to governmental regulations, the company can be seen as responsible for not locking the game to the region.

It is all very complicated, but there is no game console that is truly region free. Even Windows 8 and 10 app store is region lock, if the developer wants to/needs to.

As for regional locking for a game, that could simply be the online infrastructure for the game might not be there to allow cross country playing.

It could be anywhere from limited servers at the time of game development, to requires special connections between countries for faster low latency connection. Companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook and so on, they build the infrastructure or pay for this premium connection with the top most (1st tier) ISPs (those are not the ones you subscribes to for your internet needs). This is why you can play, say StarCraft 2, with Korea or Japan just fine. But visiting a Korean or Japanese web site from North America is so slow, despite them having a better internet than North America.

The fact that importing games is sometimes cheaper than to buy it locally is hurting local game distributors.

Besides that... The fact that Nintendo is trying to unblock certain regions to be able to interact means that Nintendo were the ones whom were blocking connections while it had nothing to do with laws and governmental regulations.

It is all very complicated, but there is no game console that is truly region free.

The PSP is :D (for games but not movies)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii