Twitter is cracking down on trolls .

Ridska

And that negates the need to do something about the widespread harassment? The fact that you can name a few specific people who aren't arseholes?

The fact is that twitter is not a US Public Space and so is not bound by the constitution, as such they can propose as draconian anti-free-speech rules as they like, and the kinds of comments people in this thread are defending would not be protected by the constitution if they were said in, for instance, a public library. If you threaten to kill someone in most places you will be apprehended, and if you make bomb threats you could expect to get terrorism charges thrown in -- whether you were serious or not.

Being banned from a social media outlet is actually a far lighter punishment than what would happen if these comments were made in a place where the constitution actually applies.

Uhh... what? Where did I insinuate the harassment was okay? >_>

And I responded to someone else telling them free speech doesn't extend to private businesses. Not sure where all that is coming from.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

specificly speaking. this is a violation of a constitutional right and as such I do not believe it can be upheld in the court of law. 

You can say whatever you want, just not on a private company's website.

When did trolling and harassment become synonyms? Trolling is just deliberately making someone upset. Harassment is more about pressuring, intimidating or persistently being hostile toward someone.

This seems to be more about harassment rather than trolling, which is good. If you are on the Internet you have to put up trolls (but more important, learn how to deal with them), but you shouldn't have to put up with serious harassment.

I hope Twitter has pretty well defined guidelines because I have seen way too many people go "TROLL!" to anyone who disagrees with them, and then tried to get the other person banned.

This part makes me a bit worried:

Twitter "can police their forums -- people do this all the time -- but doing it on Twitter's scale brings the problem of making sure you're not just punishing one person at the expense of another, or that you're not being racist or targeting particular groups," Enderle remarked.

The guidelines should be the same for everyone, no matter which race or other group you belong to. Justice should be blind, which means that things like which race you are should have absolutely nothing to do with your punishment (or lack thereof).

Uhh... what? Where did I insinuate the harassment was okay? >_>

And I responded to someone else telling them free speech doesn't extend to private businesses. Not sure where all that is coming from.

That's the whole reason she's been brought up in this thread, because she is someone being harassed. If you're going to disagree with a post pointing this out, it's going to be assumed that you disagree with the sentiment being expressed. Because that's how communication works.

That's the whole reason she's been brought up in this thread, because she is someone being harassed. If you're going to disagree with a post pointing this out, it's going to be assumed that you disagree with the sentiment being expressed. Because that's how communication works.

No, that's putting words into my mouth when I was specific in my original response.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

When did trolling and harassment become synonyms? Trolling is just deliberately making someone upset. Harassment is more about pressuring, intimidating or persistently being hostile toward someone.

This seems to be more about harassment rather than trolling, which is good. If you are on the Internet you have to put up trolls (but more important, learn how to deal with them), but you shouldn't have to put up with serious harassment.

I hope Twitter has pretty well defined guidelines because I have seen way too many people go "TROLL!" to anyone who disagrees with them, and then tried to get the other person banned.

This part makes me a bit worried:

The guidelines should be the same for everyone, no matter which race or other group you belong to. Justice should be blind, which means that things like which race you are should have absolutely nothing to do with your punishment (or lack thereof).

I agree harassment != trolling, because trolling is simpling trying to be irritating and to annoy people they are trying to draw attention on themselves and are sometimes funny (though mostly just annoying)

harassment  is a abusive form of speech done to intentionally intimidate or threaten people, telling someone your going to rape her, is WAY diffrent then posting some sort of stupid comment on youtube.

here is a rather isightful link http://kyuui.deviantart.com/journal/The-difference-between-Trolling-and-Bullying-214239398

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

You can say whatever you want, just not on a private company's website.

Actually, they are public. They have shareholders.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

There are still ISIS accounts and other terrorist organizations with twitter accounts. Why don't they crackdown on them? Twitter should set its priorities straight. 

TF2 is what I do