May 8, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

Soundcloud Link: https://soundcloud.com/thewanshow/the-wan-show-windows-10-the-last-windows-apple-anti-competitive-may-8-2015

Main News Topics

Why Microsoft is calling Windows 10 “the last version of Windows”

Source 1: linustechtips.com/why-microsoft-is-calling… OP: Lord Sparklebottom

Source 2: theverge.com/windows-10-last-version-of…

• Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon stated “Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10.”

• this info came out at the Ignite conference this week

• there is “no secret update in the works coming next. It’s all just Windows 10.”

• this is why there wasn’t much discussion about how “Windows as a service” will play out with future versions of Windows

• “Instead of big releases, there will be regular improvements and updates.”

• partially achieved by splitting up operating system components like the Start Menu and built-in apps

• eg. apps like Xbox and Mail have been engineered for regular monthly updates

• even Office will get regular updates instead of “big bang” releases every few years

• when asked about this, Microsoft responded, “Recent comments at Ignite about Windows 10 are reflective of the way Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner, with continuous value for our consumer and business customers”

• though they aren’t speaking about future branding at this time, “customers can be confident Windows 10 will remain up-to-date and power a variety of devices”

Apple wants to kill free music streaming apps like Spotify ahead of Beats relaunch

Source 1: linustechtips.com/apple-wants-to-kill… OP: tangra

Source 2: theverge.com/apple-labels-spotify…

• allegedly pushing major music labels to force Spotify and others to abandon free tiers

• both the US Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission are looking into Apple’s involvement with those labels

• Spotify currently has 60 million users, only 15 million are paid users

• the Beats streaming service is expected to be full of exclusive content

• Apple is also rumored to be targeting Universal’s deal with YouTube Music

• allegedly offered to pay the licensing fee currently paid by YouTube if Universal cut ties with YouTube

• new streaming service expected to debut at WWDC in June

• if Apple is able to convince labels to stop dealing with Spotify and YouTube on a freemium basis it will have very little competition in the space

• also being evaluated by the EU Competition Commission

• Discuss Taylor Swift’s stance on this

GOG Galaxy client now in open beta, download now!

Source 1: linustechtips.com - gog galaxy client now in open beta d OP: Alexgoeshigh

Source 2: gog.com/galaxy

Source 3: theverge.com/2015/5/5/8524597/gog-galaxy-open-beta-launch

• GOG is best known for its library of classic games

• GOG Galaxy ensures every game can be played offline with no DRM.

• Galaxy's social features include things like:

• a friends list

• in-game chat

• achievements

• select games will even support cross-platform multiplayer, so that you can play with your friends whether they bought the game from GOG or Steam.

• all of the added features are entirely optional; auto-updates, for example, can be turned off or reversed if a patch happens to break a game.

• It has a library of more than 1,000 games, with plans to expand that significantly, particularly when it comes to big-budget blockbusters.

• The first big game to support the platform will be The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which will be coming out on May 19th.

Star Wars Battlefront will not have iron sights, hip fire only

Source 1: linustechtips.com

(No notes)

Jewelers start gold plating apple watches to undercut Apple

Source 1: linustechtips.com

(No notes)

Nintendo Mobile Games

Source 1: appleinsider.com

• About five titles are expected to be released on smartphones by March of 2017, with the first to arrive before the end of this year.

• Nintendo hopes to tie consumers in with connectivity on smartphones, tablets, and even PCs with an "integrated membership service."

• “It will encourage a greater number of people to associate with Nintendo IP, to become familiar with the charms of video games and, eventually, to explore more premium experiences on our dedicated game systems.” - Iwata (CEO)

DISCUSS THE RETURN OF UNBOXINGS

Link 1: https://www.vessel.com/videos/KFXXQObOr

Rapid Fire News Topics

Fixstars unveils 6TB 2.5” SSD

Source 1: linustechtips.com/fixstars-unveils-6tb… OP: Overl0rd

Source 2: techpowerup.com/fixstars-unveils-the-highest…

• offers 6,000 GB of unformatted space

• 15nm MLC NAND flash chips

• unknown controller

• reasonably high sequential transfer speeds

• up to 540MB/s read, up to 520MB/s write

• supports features like NCQ, TRIM, SMART

• 9.5mm thick (may not fit some notebooks)

• The SSD-6000M is available for order today. Shipments will begin in late July.

• Prospective buyers are asked to contact Fixstars to make a purchase, and the company's client list includes big names like Boeing and the Argonne National Laboratory.

ASUS recalls MG279Q AMD FreeSync Display

Source 1: linustechtips.com/asus-recalls-mg279q… OP: RainesX

Source 2: sweclockers.com/asus-aterkallar-mg279q…

• only English sources currently are forums

• apparently the display skips every sixth frame

• most visible in smooth motion at a constant speed

• creates hiccoughs

• withdrawing all MG279Qs from the sales channel

• all dissatisfied customers can contact support early next week

• issue should be corrected with new firmware

• all displays need to be returned to the factory to update with specialized equipment

Tesla now selling used electric cars

Source 1: linustechtips.com - tesla now selling used electric cars OP: Tangra

Source 2: wsj.com/articles/tesla-launches-used-car-sales-via-web-1430502587

Source 3: theverge.com - tesla used car pre owned model s program

• Tesla Motors, quietly launched a pre-owned vehicle program at the end of April

• The scheme offers older versions of its Model S sedan for lower prices than new models

• The used cars still come with Tesla maintenance and reliability checks.

• like other high-end car makers, Musk's company gives a 4-year or 50,000-mile warranty on pre-owned vehicles.

• Used cars would be stored at a Tesla location, allowing customers to collect their car directly, or have it delivered to their home.

• The new scheme is currently only available in 11 US cities.

• The cars are coming from display models or owners who traded their older sedans in for new all-wheel-drive models under Tesla's trade-in schemes.

• The company can expect an influx of older vehicles soon, as owners who bought their first-generation Model S on a three-year lease in 2013 return the car to the manufacturer.

• Used cars on sale via the program are available for between $60,000 to $90,000.

• The new program also gives Tesla a nice new revenue stream as the sale of used cars traditionally yields higher profits than the sale of brand new vehicles.

Nintendo to make a theme park

Source 1: linustechtips.com/main/topic/362357-nintendo-to-make-a-themepark/ OP: Notional

Source 2: gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/05

• joining forces with Universal Parks & Resorts

• first-ever attractions based on Nintendo’s beloved licenses

• no info on location as of yet

• no info on which Nintendo characters will be present

EVGA releases DDR3 and DDR4 memory

Source 1: linustechtips.com/evga-releases-ddr3ddr4… OP: mvitkun

Source 2: evga.com/evga-high-performance-memory

• black PCB

• up to 2400mHz speed

• “premium heat spreader”

• 8GB 2400mHz DDR3 sticks available for $49.99

ICEnhancer coming to GTA V Soon

Source 1: linustechtips.com/icenhancer-coming-to… OP: X1XNobleX1X

Source 2: overclock3d.net/icenhancer_is_coming…

• most famous mod for GTA IV

• working on the GTA V version, have already made “small but impressive” changes to the game’s visuals

I heard Linus got his butt wet.. Must watch.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This is the first time I've seen a WAN show document. I don't know whether to be proud of myself, or ashamed. 

no 390x leaks/news?

The renders were fake, so not much to say about them :(

all of them?  what about OEM stuff with HP and mobile leaks?

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

The 3D Renders were not fakes, the photoshopped picture from Chiphell was fake. Which was based off of the 3D Renders. 3D Renders came first, then someone made a fake photoshop render based off of the 3D Renders. My post did not contain the Chiphell picture.

Read the article that points to the fake photoshop job: 

http://wccftech.com/fake-render-amd-radeon-r9-390x-internet/

Notice in the article, it talks about the picture from Chiphell, not the 3D Renders provided by WCCFTech. It even states in the article that the creator of the Photoshopped render sourced the WCCFTech 3D Renders in the thread at Chiphell. 

Unless you know something that is not on the internet?

The intro worked!, reinstalled xsplit? L. Haven't watched the rest just can't believe it worked.

Missed the original streaming, but as for the spotify question. I am a paid user, and a exclusive deal that pulls music from spotify will create a distribution issue for me, and may go to less ideal ways to get the music, and if I like it buy it. So long as I do not have to get it from apple.

@LinusTech

The whole 'definegate' thing throws up a really good point about how hypocritical people can be. Someone bends a brand new IPhone and it becomes an internet sensation, you shake a case to show a poorly secured panel and everyone attacks you for it.

Ignore the haters dude, you guys do a great job.

The 3D Renders were not fakes, the photoshopped picture from Chiphell was fake. Which was based off of the 3D Renders. 3D Renders came first, then someone made a fake photoshop render based off of the 3D Renders. My post did not contain the Chiphell picture.

Read the article that points to the fake photoshop job: 

http://wccftech.com/fake-render-amd-radeon-r9-390x-internet/

Notice in the article, it talks about the picture from Chiphell, not the 3D Renders provided by WCCFTech. It even states in the article that the creator of the Photoshopped render sourced the WCCFTech 3D Renders in the thread at Chiphell. 

Unless you know something that is not on the internet?

He knows lots of stuff not on the internet hence the issues with screen Sharing his email account.

NDA, Sssshhhhhhh

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Why do I remember Apple being currently investigated and previously fined twice by the European Commission for the same unfair market behavior, after it was found out they've been paying off artists to join them and leave Spotify, as well as authors to put their books exclusively and for higher price on their service?

Either way,  I'm a premium Spotify customer and have been for quite a few years now. It's the only music streaming service available in Finland and the Premium is offered for a couple of months free as a part of any new mobile contract involving smart device use. I use only Spotify for getting my music + the occasional CD/Blu-ray special edition pack from the store. Such market fragmentation with "exclusive" artists for certain service, that will essentially have less music as a total than Spotify and relying primarily on exclusive deals, is just going to make me do compromises. 

Now, as far as alternatives go,

I can most some people sticking to Spotify, while downloading single albums from an "exclusive" artist, then synchronizing the liked songs as local files in Spotify (this especially for the free Spotify users). It's a very ironic thing to do, because Spotify was the reason a huge amount of the music piracy stopped in the countries it's been available at, but the subscription fee will probably be a very important factor (Would you pay 20 euros more monthly for two exclusive deals that put out a new album once in a year or two? I don't think so). It also kind of reminds of what happened when Netflix first came out and now that there's been other competitive services that don't have the rights to the MANY Netflix original pieces.

As for Apple,I don't use their products, so suddenly having to switch to them is not even worth considering, however I can see why people who use only Apple products will prefer a service like that. However, as a Google user, I don't actually do my purchases through them, so the Play Store is not exactly an option for me either.

There's also the mysterious newly acquired by Jay Z "audiophile" streaming service Aspiro (formerly Swedish-owned company), that should offer similar range in terms of music catalog as much as Spotify, only with better quality and probably more equalizing options, which I could be interested in, as long as the amount of music is reasonable for the monthly price. 

I think in the USA/Canada there could be more options and to be generally easier to license music, but for Europe, I believe Spotify will remain the main, if not only music streaming service.

Hardware lottery, that would be interesting. Speaking of which AMD was selling 3 cores CPUs which were faulty 4 cores. But if they buyer got lucky he could unlock the 4th core and get higher price CPU for less price.

I work at repair center for ASUS and reason why ASUS is not releasing new firmwares for monitors is that they are, at this moment, using several (around 7) diffrent softwares for different mondels (and most of those softwares even need special hardware)

im offended :'( :P linus thinks all the "died hard" fans will be on vessel... i dont think ive missed a video for the last 2 years.... but the truth about vessel is that the quality simply isnt comparable to youtube yet and i dont feel the "early access" is worth it. I find the video less crisp/detailed and vessel simply doesnt have the same network capabilities as youtube. Im all the way in new zealand, and vessel simply lags for me. Im perfectly fine watching 1080p on youtube, never having to buffer, whereas i often have to pause the video on vessel and wait for a while. BUT THEN if i wait too long, the connection "resets" and i have to load the video ALL over again...

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

I'll just voice my opinion on the "Unboxing Video", I just didn't get the idea behind it.

As a viewer, I got the feeling this product was sent to you to be reviewed and a lot of effort was put into it (faster shipping and so on...).

And then I got the feeling, you were mocking it and intentionally trying to harm the product by handling it very rough.

I understand, that this just was supposed to be funny, but I felt sorry for Fractal and I don't think that was the intended reaction. 

It simply was a little bit weird watching it, always thinking, that you were just about to destroy it physically. 

And I think maybe another point is, that most of us probably envy you a little bit for getting products for free and then

it's hard to watch you handle them, as if it's nothing of importance?!

Just my thoughts... :)

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

im offended :'( :P linus thinks all the "died hard" fans will be on vessel... i dont think ive missed a video for the last 2 years.... but the truth about vessel is that the quality simply isnt comparable to youtube yet and i dont feel the "early access" is worth it. I find the video less crisp/detailed and vessel simply doesnt have the same network capabilities as youtube. Im all the way in new zealand, and vessel simply lags for me. Im perfectly fine watching 1080p on youtube, never having to buffer, whereas i often have to pause the video on vessel and wait for a while. BUT THEN if i wait too long, the connection "resets" and i have to load the video ALL over again...

xByakko did he say this on The WAN Show?  If he did he really can't stop trying to dig his own grave lately with certain comments.  Facebook tonight repeating the same thing over and over again and then retweeting a post where he thinks it's funny that some guy said to play bowling with all of the expensive cpus in their boxes when some people out there can't even afford a pc.  I just wish he would stop and think about what he is doing sometimes.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I'll just voice my opinion on the "Unboxing Video", I just didn't get the idea behind it.

As a viewer, I got the feeling this product was sent to you to be reviewed and a lot of effort was put into it (faster shipping and so on...).

And then I got the feeling, you were mocking it and intentionally trying to harm the product by handling it very rough.

I understand, that this just was supposed to be funny, but I felt sorry for Fractal and I don't think that was the intended reaction. 

It simply was a little bit weird watching it, always thinking, that you were just about to destroy it physically. 

And I think maybe another point is, that most of us probably envy you a little bit for getting products for free and then

it's hard to watch you handle them, as if it's nothing of importance?!

Just my thoughts... :)

I have to admit I did laugh at that ending because people expect Linus to drop something as he can be clumsy if you have followed him closely and seen loads of his content. Still I think he is starting to rub many people the wrong way and it is showing in replies to his posts on social media and in response to videos.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I manage a city pool in Az during the summer and we do in fact rent out the pool for a few hours for about 300 bucks! That being said, your fee to rent the pool is paying the cost of the lifeguards, head guards, and managers and finding one that will let you swim tied together may be a bit of a challenge...

Love the show!

Linus is responding to people in the same way that your boss would when you're being an absolute knob and being intentionally stupid towards something.

I know that's hard for some people to accept or even comprehend. Linus and his behaviour has been a constant throughout LMGs history, why the outrage now that he does things with the bluntest of hammers?

I'm sure Linus weighs his comments carefully enough against the delicate sensibilities of his fan base.

When Linus showed the Vessel video and talked about the fact that the video has a low amount of likes I was really surprised to hear that Vessel even has a like button. I watched every Vessel video from Linus and this is the first time I hear about them having a like button. I feel stupid now..

Radio has always had "free" add-supported music. Is Apple trying to get rid of radio too?

Linus is responding to people in the same way that your boss would when you're being an absolute knob and being intentionally stupid towards something.

I know that's hard for some people to accept or even comprehend. Linus and his behaviour has been a constant throughout LMGs history, why the outrage now that he does things with the bluntest of hammers?

I'm sure Linus weighs his comments carefully enough against the delicate sensibilities of his fan base.

Agreed. I watched that video, and even though I don't like Fractal cases, I saw nothing wrong with the video itself. Not to mention, the point of LTT videos, as far as I've ever been able to tell, has been the honesty with them. Where if a product is crap, even if it's one of his sponsors products, he will call it out as crap.

Professionalism isn't having the most well filmed videos, as a reviewer, professionalism is honesty and integrity.

Radio has always had "free" add-supported music. Is Apple trying to get rid of radio too?

That's a good point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs