Asus recalls MG279Q AMD freesyncdisplay

RainesX

Hi.

My first real post i believe so please be kind :P

Well lets get to point.

Asus MG279Q the AMD freesynqscreen is being recalled from the resellers and no displays will be shipped.

Reason for this is that the high speed ips display they are being used cant keep up.

At Sweclockers lab they noticed that it felt rather weird when at 144hz. After further investigation they noticed that the display only dropped every sixth update.

What happens at 144 Hz is that Asus MG278Q simply skips every sixth frame. It is most visible in smooth motion at a constant speed and creates some hiccups. Self, I noticed that something was not right simply by moving a window in Windows, says vBulletin photo expert Thomas Ytterberg.

Immediate revocation

After vBulletin discovered Asus decides to withdraw all MG279Q from the sales channel. According to Asus Nordic Marketing Manager Marcus Hultin, all dissatisfied customers as of early next week to complain about the screen by contacting the Asus warranty service.

At the same time confirmed the failure of the Asus engineers, who announces that the problem should be corrected in a new version of firmware. Since the software can not be updated without specialized equipment, however all screens first returned to the factory. Deliveries are expected to start again in 3-4 weeks.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20463-asus-aterkallar-mg279q-efter-upptackt-i-sweclockers-testlabb

I think its great that Asus react this fast to something like this and that but i cant believe something like that actually went through testing and made it to market.

It's really not that shocking. Recalls happen all the time. It's impossible to test for everything.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Looks like I'll just stick with my ROG SWIFT :)

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

It's really not that shocking. Recalls happen all the time. It's impossible to test for everything.

This seems like a pretty big mistake though. I'd think that you would test a produced display by seeing how it actually behaves at higher fps.

But at least it's good that they are acting fast.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It dropped every 6th frame, not only showed every 6th frame.. Big difference.

God how embarrassing. Fixed.

This seems like a pretty big mistake though. I'd think that you would test a produced display by seeing how it actually behaves at higher fps.

But at least it's good that they are acting fast.

Asus is just another corporation and at this point, I can't be surprised anymore when a corporation takes a simple thing like this for granted. I just see it as business as usual.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Looks like I'll just stick with my ROG SWIFT :)

why would you get a freesync display anyways? you got a nvidia card

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

They hadn't been released yet in the US anyways, so this doesn't affect me.  I'm just glad they noticed and will have it fixed before it does release in the US.  Unfortunately, I was really hoping to have this monitor before Witcher 3 released, looks like that won't happen.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Yikes. Well the monitor was announced as a 120hz monitor at CES, that they wanted to certify as 144hz. I guess that was not accomplished in the end.

Maybe Asus will either slow it down to 120hz, or simply scrap the monitor for a new panel, that can handle 144hz. By then, I hope they get a proper monitor controller, that can handle Adaptive Sync at full 144hz.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Yikes. Well the monitor was announced as a 120hz monitor at CES, that they wanted to certify as 144hz. I guess that was not accomplished in the end.

Maybe Asus will either slow it down to 120hz, or simply scrap the monitor for a new panel, that can handle 144hz. By then, I hope they get a proper monitor controller, that can handle Adaptive Sync at full 144hz.

That's really dumb. Why didn't they just release it as a 120 hz monitor? Are there really that many idiots that would refuse to buy it if its 120 instead of 144?

That's really dumb. Why didn't they just release it as a 120 hz monitor? Are there really that many idiots that would refuse to buy it if its 120 instead of 144?

Yes? 144hz is the de facto high hz standard today, which has taken over 120hz. It's a shame, as we might get more high hz IPS monitors, if 120hz was acceptable.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Interestingly on Twitter, JJ from Asus actually showed it off again yesterday as a 120hz not the 144hz version, so maybe they backtracked.

Well well well... This is the same ASUS Monitor that could only achieve 35-90Hz FreeSync, and people lost their shit over it, claiming this is one more reason why FreeSync is "crap":

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358929-freesync-range-35-90-only-on-144hz-asus-mg279q/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358741-confirmed-asus-mg279q-freesync-window-35hz-90hz-but-with-freesync-and-overdrive-enabled/

Turns out, the monitor has a factory defect.

Well, frankly, I'm glad that ASUS is recalling it. They're owning up to the fact that they "dun fucked up". I wonder if the 35-90Hz FreeSync "window" is a result of this defect.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

why would you get a freesync display anyways? you got a nvidia card

valid point  :P

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Well well well... This is the same ASUS Monitor that could only achieve 35-90Hz FreeSync, and people lost their shit over it, claiming this is one more reason why FreeSync is "crap":

Well, frankly, I'm glad that ASUS is recalling it. They're owning up to the fact that they "dun fucked up". I wonder if the 35-90Hz FreeSync "window" is a result of this defect.

I don't think the VRR window is caused by the defect, I mean it was so well documented in their FAQ.

Maybe they'll use a different panel and get the full range, either way I hope the minimum of 35hz stays the same since it's the lowest on any FreeSync monitor released/announced up to now.

Hopefully they do re-release it and don't just refund customers and scrap the MG279Q.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

This is a bit more suspect: Asus was probably pressured by AMD seeing how the certified them for Freesync after the fact. AMD wanted more monitors out with Freesync fast to compete with g-sync and this could be the results.

Aye, particularly since the point of Freesync is that it looks good at anything between 60 and 120

-------

Current Rig

-------

in b4 people blame amd for this

Lol was just gunna do that /s

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358929-freesync-range-35-90-only-on-144hz-asus-mg279q/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358741-confirmed-asus-mg279q-freesync-window-35hz-90hz-but-with-freesync-and-overdrive-enabled/

I think it isn't a factory defect that causes that window, but I really would hope it was and they could up the window (or at least raise their lower limit)

The takeaway for me is that the firmware is not field-upgradeable xD which is unfortunate.

With monitors becoming so advanced, it really is odd, that you cannot firmware update them by USB or something.

With monitors becoming so advanced, it really is odd, that you cannot firmware update them by USB or something.

Tru dat. However someone's cost analysis didn't took into account a mass recall so they saved a few bucks by not having an USB flasheable firmware.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Tru dat. However someone's cost analysis didn't took into account a mass recall so they saved a few bucks by not having an USB flasheable firmware.

now they can use that savings for the recall

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc