[Microsoft Ignite] - Microsoft Surface Hub - 4K 120Hz full PC for meetings.

GoodBytes

Today is the first day of Microsoft Ignite event. If you have been following, you know that Microsoft BUILD event just passed. BUILD event is an event that is focused to developers. Usually, only the first keynote event has things that can be interesting to most people on this forum. I have previously covered day 1 of BUILD event, but today I'll cover Ignite, but a bit differently, instead of covering everything like I did with BUILD in one shot, which led many to complain about the oh so many pictures, Ignite is more IT professional focused, which affects more people here, so I have decided to cover key feature by key feature. Look for "[Microsoft Ignite]" tag on the title.

Today Microsoft showcase more information about the new Surface Hub. Now, this was covered already long time ago, but a tiny bit more information is shared, and see it more in action, as the device software is more complete.

The Surface Hub is a screen that has an embedded computer with wireless connectivity, so all you need to get started is a power cable.

It includes pen support with pressure sensitivity and hovering tracking, and is multi-touch.

s1.png

The Surface Hub is a 4K display, 85inch, 120Hz monitor. The device is available in 55inch 1080p variant.

Camera, microphone, frontal stereo speakers, bluetooth, NFC, are also included. Office is also included. Developers can develop apps for it.

It runs Windows 10, but a special version, design for collaboration in class rooms or office meetings rooms.

The stand is on wheels and is included with the device. The pen holds magnetically to the device sides,.

Sadly, we don't know the specs of the system inside.

Once a conference takes place, a notification is displayed at the center of the screen, bellow the clock, and tapping on it, will join into the conversation, with a whiteboard shared.

s2.png

When writing it uses OneNote, so notes are in sync and shared with everyone in the conversation, and well has the power of note taking.

You can select written text and move it, exactly like OneNote. Practice for when doing plans or brain storming in a meetings.

s3.png

Also, devices can be connected like the Surface Pro 3 here, and the content of the device is shared with everyone in the conversation automatically. And also, everyone in the meeting can interact with it. They can draw, type notes, switch slides (in the case of PowerPoint) and it will all sync with everyone.

s4.png

It also has the Skype Broadcast feature. This feature allows people to view a broadcasted video or videos, and people can vote on what they see as the video is played or the broadcast is playing.

s5.png

So that is the Microsoft Surface Hub. You can view the full day 1 keynote here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/KEY01(warning HQ quality is 6.1GB)

Microsoft Surface Hub home page: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-surface-hub/en-us

Do you want one for your room just for fun?

I kind of want one just for my living room, it looks fun to use.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

why 120hz I can understand 4k but not 120hz. its not like you will be gaming on it.

This is just a wild guess but maybe it has an effect when using the pen to draw on the screen. It might make that experience feel more life like at a faster refresh rate.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I was more interested in the tabletop surface they showed off a while back. I think a 20in surface would be really cool, because I love the idea of having a multi-touch monitor like that that takes pen input nicely on a monitor arm so I can swing it out over my desk if I'd like.

on topic, it looks like the smartboard idea has finally come to fruition in a way that doesn't require calibration every 10 minutes.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

This is just a wild guess but maybe it has an effect when using the pen to draw on the screen. It might make that experience feel more life like at a faster refresh rate.

I expect it's this. the responsiveness of the writing experience is huge.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

So useless yet with so much potential for success: if somebody willingly wastes money that would be business men when it comes to office supplies.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I expect it's this. the responsiveness of the writing experience is huge.

I'm going to go for this too. Having a higher refresh rate can probably help with writing and drawing on the device.

So useless yet with so much potential for success: if somebody willingly wastes money that would be business men when it comes to office supplies.

I disagree. The new workplace is no longer a place. More and more businesses don't care where you are, when you work, as long as the work is done in a timely fashion. In addition, companies do massive savings as they no longer need get large enough offices for everyone cubicle or desk or office (depending on the company model). So everyone wins. So, having this kind of tools, allows people to be at the meeting place, and include people outside. You no longer need everyone to come in.

Right now, the way it works in most businesses it is either:

1- Phone conversation, and everyone spend 30min explaining what they can draw and point in 2 sec (my current workplace)

2- Everyone comes to the meeting. A problem for larger companies that have employees in different countries or even province/state

3- There is the conference that occurs and others can view it online with no or very limited interaction.

This device, with others (preferably using convertible systems such as the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3), allows to solve this. It satisfies people in the meeting room, AND outside as if they were inside.

why 120hz I can understand 4k but not 120hz. its not like you will be gaming on it.

Well what if you can. I will be licking one in my living room.

I disagree. The new workplace is no longer a place. More and more businesses don't care where you are, when you work, as long as the work is done in a timely fashion. In addition, companies do massive savings as they no longer need get large enough offices for everyone cubicle or desk or office (depending on the company model). So everyone wins. So, having this kind of tools, allows people to be at the meeting place, and include people outside. You no longer need everyone to come in.

Right now, the way it works in most businesses it is either:

1- Phone conversation, and everyone spend 30min explaining what they can draw and point in 2 sec (my current workplace)

2- Everyone comes to the meeting. A problem for larger companies that have employees in different countries or even province/state

3- There is the conference that occurs and others can view it online with no or very limited interaction.

This device, with others (preferably using convertible systems such as the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3), allows to solve this. It satisfies people in the meeting room, AND outside as if they were inside.

Yet is there any reason why all of that wouldn't work at say 1080p 60hz? 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1080p on such large screen is already super low. Remember, movies aren't being displayed, but rather text.

Also, you want hand written text to pear smoothly. and not pixelated. So a higher resolution is needed.

The 55inch model is 1080p (not sure if it is 60 or 120Hz. Microsoft didn't mention).

The reality of things is that this product is mostly targeted at large businesses who have employees all over the place. It is for sure going to cost in the thousands of dollars. So what is 100-200$ more for 120Hz panel over a 60Hz one?

@Misanthrope

Just letting you know GoodBytes responded but forgot to quote/tag you.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

but ive youre writting on it, having it work smooth seems like a good thing

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

• 4 months later...

I got to play with one of these yesterday and I can't believe how buttery smooth it is. The touch sensitivity works great and cortana integration was actually pretty good. The pricing is ridiculous so none of us will be able to actually buy one for home, but I hope this technology makes its way down to consumer devices in the future.

kbLPzGc.jpg

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Microsoft HQ in Lysaker? I was there last week. :P

Precisely! I went to a hackathon there haha. Was quite a bit of fun, already looking forward to the next one. Learned a lot of stuff, deployed my first Azure webapp, ate enough pizza to last me a week, and made a bunch of new friends. How about you, what brought you there?

0I4Jasj.jpg

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Now that its been brought back to the top after the iPad Pro reveal. I do not think that any iPad will even come close to being able to do something like this.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I do not think that any iPad will even come close to being able to do something like this.

Don't think the 50" conference room PC is really the market Apple's after ay.

My visit was a bit less interesting. I was at a sales course through Elkjøp. It was mostly how W10, Office and Xbox worked, which was definitely worth the 7 hour drive.  <_<

Windows 10: Look at how clever we are, we brought back a semi useful start menu. What's that? Oh just ignore the increased network activity and data usage.

Office: Look at how much pretty it is compared to older versions

Xbox: TV TV TV TV TV TV TV. And it plays games on the side as well-though you might have to be online when ever you want to actually use it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My visit was a bit less interesting. I was at a sales course through Elkjøp. It was mostly how W10, Office and Xbox worked, which was definitely worth the 7 hour drive.  <_<

Haha yeah I can see how that would be a bit less interesting :P So I'm guessing you drove in from Bergen then if it was 7 hours.

120hz isn't just for games, everything is smoother on 120hz, even moving your mouse on your desktop. Even while web browsing, 60hz monitors are cancer.

60 Hz is terrible and just moving your mouse or scrolling down a page is a horrible experience.