xeon for gaming

is a xeon okay for gaming compared to an i7 or something and how many cores would i need for a good gaming PC that ran most modern games CPU recommendations?

NOO

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

watch 

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

I'm not really a experienced tech guy (so don't take my wod for it), but as far as I know Xeon processors are meant for servers, not home/gaming PCs. They are designed for different workloads, so with a reasonably priced Xeon processor (which would still be really expensive), you wouldn't get a better gaming performance, most likely even worse.

I am slowly beginning to have an idea what I'm doing

Yea, they are just fine for gaming. If you can get a higher ghz for cheaper, should be fine.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

They are "designed" basically identically, they just have features like the ability to support ECC RAM and stuff like that. There is no specific reason why a xeon would be worse for home use or gaming, least as far as I know........

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

They're fine, but on equal grounds (eg i5-4460 equivalent of Xeons), i5s and i7s will typically perform a small bit better.

The Xeon E3-1231V3 is basically an i7 but locked, so yes they are good for gaming.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 OC 4.4 GHz Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 8gb (2x4)  GPU: PowerColor R9 285 2gb
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Storage: WD blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX600M Display: Dell E2414Hr  Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo 
Keyboard: Compaq  Mouse: Logitech G600 Operating System: Windows 8.1 

Only xeon for gaming i would suggest is the E3 1230 v3  if you are on a budget and you want to do some video editting as well as gaming.

EDIT: 4 cores 4 threads are the most you would require nowadays for a smooth gaming experience.

I'm using a E3-1220V2, it's quite good especially for the price I paid for it.

Only downside of course is, that almost all Xeons are locked and only some of the higher end xeons are unlocked.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

I'm not really a experienced tech guy (so don't take my wod for it), but as far as I know Xeon processors are meant for servers, not home/gaming PCs. They are designed for different workloads, so with a reasonably priced Xeon processor (which would still be really expensive), you wouldn't get a better gaming performance, most likely even worse.

They're don't perform worse in gaming than their desktop parts, they're performance is almost exactly the same. Some difference between Xeon and Core i7 is Xeon supports ECC, and it's designed for the 24/7/365 work environment where its main focus is stability. CPUs that perform the best of the best are binned as Xeons and the rest get trickled down to Core i7, i5, i3, etc. While their price may seem quite expensive that's because it has more cores/cache, some of their entry level models are quite affordable and even cheaper than a Core i7. You can grab a Xeon with HT, just like a Core i7, for around the price of a Core i5.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just go with an i5, it will give you the same or better performance than an i7/Xeon (depending on the clock) and push the rest to a better GPU. :)

You kids know that the E3 exists right? It is a baby Xeon near identical to the LGA 1150 i7 line. 

E5 and E7 are the high end server kid gear. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Yes the are good for gaming.

Xeon E3 1231 V3 has exactly the same performance as i7 4770.

The E3 1226 v3 is a good CPU for gaming, It is pretty much a locked i7 at a higher end i5's price.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

You kids know that the E3 exists right? It is a baby Xeon near identical to the LGA 1150 i7 line. 

E5 and E7 are the high end server kid gear.

This. What the hell guys, I have a e3 1230 v3. Its literally a i7 with more features for less, and built like a tank. It will destroy a i5, and be identical to a i7, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Only reason not to is over clocking or onboard graphics.

Xeon is fine for gaming.  They're intended for server use, but in terms of performance, will be like a stock i7, which is good.  For reliability they'll probably be better.

Their cheaper price compared to an i7 is based on their inability to be overclocked, their lack of an iGPU, and I believe they don't come with a stock heatsink.

more GHZ=better performance or more cores or just both

This couldn't be further from the truth.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

-snip-

Thanks! The more you know... :D

I am slowly beginning to have an idea what I'm doing

• 3 years later...
On 5/4/2015 at 1:54 PM, Arcanekitten said:

NOO

Xeon E5-1650 V1 is actually great for gaming and are super cheap right now in an X79 CPU RAM Combo set. On User Benchmark, they perform relativley well with 6 cores, 12 threads, and boosted to 3.8-3.9Ghz. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:07 PM, SMITHBEATZ said:

Xeon E5-1650 V1 is actually great for gaming and are super cheap right now in an X79 CPU RAM Combo set. On User Benchmark, they perform relativley well with 6 cores, 12 threads, and boosted to 3.8-3.9Ghz. 

Honestly I do recommend them in some cases these days. The CPU are actually good for the value but the mobo often costs 400 dollars or more. Also you are replying to my almost 4 year old comment which is heavily out of date at this point, the video is still applicable though.