Huge problem with gtx 970

Zackfoo

Okay now so this is caused by gta v being a game which is cpu intensive rather than gpu intensive? Then I kinda get it now why the rest of the game is a lot more higher in the fps compared to gta v. Thx guys. Fast response is appreciated. To those who thinks that might not be cpu bottlenecking, it really might not be but no other explanation to my situation now. Thx to all of you but guys let's chill out red team aren't that bad too.

There's definitely something going on that's not your CPU. Again, I would try these performance tweaks

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/350380-a-gta-v-fps-boost-trick-for-nvidia-users/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/354971-helpful-gta-v-performance-trick-for-nvidia-users/

"Rawr XD"

Again,

Until you can prove that the tests were done using proper GTA V optimized drivers there's nothing to prove. I also thought my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU to shit and was going to switch out my Phenom for my i5 if it hadn't been for someone on Reddit telling me to update to newer drivers and it made a night and day difference. 

It's about relative performance. The game has a ton of features and the absolute framerate you get even depends on time of day, and where you're walking/driving. This is why I don't look to anacdotal comments like yours, but at performance benchmarks like the one I posted. Because in that scenario, eventhough you think you get more fps, all CPU's are tested in the same scenario.

Judging from the 970 graph on pclab, the difference in that relative benchmark you only get about 58% of what the i5 does. The i5 saturates the 970, so that means for the 6300, you get about ~60% GPU load at times. That's bottlenecking. Not slightly.

He shouldn't have combined a 6300 with a 970, it's a very unbalanced combination. 

GTA V relies heavily on cpu and amd just isn't cutting it.

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

My friend has the same 6300 and a R7 260X on normal to high settings I think he runs the game at 40-60FPS. @SirMrRyan

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

hmmm... Wondering if his 970 is overheating and throttling. The Strix cooler isn't the greatest at keeping gpus cooled... I hit 70C at 1500RPM in most games... Then KF2 is the only game it'll hit 76C and start throttling if I don't put the fanspeed at 2100RPM.

Maybe, I haven't had any personal experience with the Strix so I can't speak on behalf of that. My G1 970 in a cramped Cooler Master N200 mATX case still barely hits 65 in most games, with stock fan curve and relatively poor case airflow.

"Rawr XD"

It's about relative performance. The game has a ton of features and the absolute framerate you get even depends on time of day, and where you're walking/driving. This is why I don't look to anacdotal comments like yours, but at performance benchmarks like the one I posted. Because in that scenario, eventhough you think you get more fps, all CPU's are tested in the same scenario.

Judging from the 970 graph on pclab, the difference in that relative benchmark you only get about 58% of what the i5 does. The i5 saturates the 970, so that means for the 6300, you get about ~60% GPU load at times. That's bottlenecking. Not slightly.

He shouldn't have combined a 6300 with a 970, it's a very unbalanced combination. 

If you're so inclined to believe that AMD performs very poorly in this game, please do explain to me how I'm getting solid 60 at 1080p very high settings with my 970 and Phenom II X6 at stock speeds. Unless you can give a clear reason then your comment is just as anecdotal, and you haven't been paying attention to the thread as I have done personal GTA V tests with multiple CPUs.

Why is it that whenever you enter an AMD thread the war starts?

"Rawr XD"

If you're so inclined to believe that AMD performs very poorly in this game, please do explain to me how I'm getting solid 60 at 1080p very high settings with my 970 and Phenom II X6 at stock speeds.

Since when does the burden of proof of your anecdotal comment lie with me?

There is no AMD war, there is just you lying your ass off and denying facts. You ever thought it could just be your doing, and not mine?

Oh what a wonderful time we live in. Where narcisistic people with no self-awareness blame all problems on other people.

You have a 970, so that means shadowplay. Get a frapscounter up, disable vsync and make a video driving around a large down in daytime.

Make sure to flash the settings before going ingame. This i want to see.

Since when does the burden of proof of your anecdotal comment lie with me?

You're the one starting the war... I don't come to threads asking about one side of CPUs and then start beef about it cause it's worse then the other in some way, I come to answer the question that was laid out, spite of all the nonsense. Example: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/359941-need-help-with-msi-970-gaming-motherboard/page-2#entry4880728

You not paying attention doesn't make my comment anecdotal. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

"Rawr XD"

My friend has the same 6300 and a R7 260X on normal to high settings I think he runs the game at 40-60FPS. @SirMrRyan

A 6300 wouldn't bottleneck a 260X, but a 970 is like 3 to 4 times the performance of that gpu.

You're the one starting the war... I don't come to threads asking about one side of CPUs and then start beef about it cause it's worse then the other in some way, I come to answer the question that was laid out, spite of all the nonsense. Example: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/359941-need-help-with-msi-970-gaming-motherboard/page-2#entry4880728

You not paying attention doesn't make my comment anecdotal. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/353771-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1075t-vs-overclocked-intel-pentium-g3258/

I know your side of the argument. I'm saying you're marginalizing the bottlenecking way more than you should. 

You cast it off as if it's nearly insignificant, which is simply not true. You don't get the performance of the benchmarks with the 970 on a 6300. The CPU averages out a lot of performance of the 970. And the only one who is derailing the topic is you, stop projecting. All I said that the 6300 forms a bottleneck for the 970. Which is just a fact. And you go tell everyone it's not true based on an n=1 example and your own word, meanwhile wondering why everyone is getting upset. Whether he's getting the performance he should, is easily traceable with some monitoring tools.

The OP should run msi afterburner in the background and just log GPU load, amongst other things like CPU load per core and clockspeeds. @Zackfoo

A 6300 wouldn't bottleneck a 260X, but a 970 is like 3 to 4 times the performance of that gpu.

Was making a point that the cpu isn't too weak for GTA V.. And you showed benchmarks at 1600p, of course it's going to be a lot more demanding then 1080p...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Was making a point that the cpu isn't too weak for GTA V.. And you showed benchmarks at 1600p, of course it's going to be a lot more demanding then 1080p...

resolution has no real influence on CPU performance. The only thing it changes is elleviating or adding pressure on the GPU.

Resolution has absolutely nothing with cpu, it only impacts gpu. And your points isn't valid, because your friend is guetting the same fps as opening post with a 260X, which would lead me to think that there is a cpu bottleneck.

Thx @Aniallation just realised you are in my overclocking post too you rocks bro. Maybe the silicon lottery affects this also.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

@Majestic msi afterburner and log gpu load. Got that, noted down and will do as soon as possible there is a small test tmr will do straight away after class. All you guys are just so helpful thx guys!

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

@Aniallation and ya I haven tried that few tricks I will as soon as I'm free.

Damn. I followed linus Christmas build guide. Any other possibility?

Because on games like bioshock infinity, I was getting like steady 80 to 90 fps with all hultra.highest settings.

This really pisses me off. That holiday build guide was one of if not the worst video I've seen from Linus. Complete negligence on his part to put that video out. He received a ton of criticism for it in the comments section. A massive failure of a build guide.

Your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU. There are probably some settings you can tweak to get better performance,but overall your processor is not a match for that high end of a GPU. @itachipirate should be able to help you. He has similar results in GTAV also with an FX6 and 970.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

That's a terrible combo, honestly any AMD CPU as of now with a high end GPU is a bad combo. You're being bottlenecked. The only advice I have is to over clock both as much as you can.

I'm using a asus strix gtx 970 with latest nvidia driver update for gta v. Processor is fx 6300 with cooler Master cpu Cooler overclocked to 4.2ghz.

I'm getting 40 to 50 fps with very high settings and 50 to 60 with all normal settings. I do not think this is how it suppose to works but I have no idea why. Vsync is off too btw. Is it processor bottlenecking?

the problem you get has nothing to do with your 970. It is just that the fx 6300 nor any other amd cpu at the moment can keep  up with games that are more cpu intensive than average or simply average.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

That's a terrible combo, honestly any AMD CPU as of now with a high end GPU is a bad combo. You're being bottlenecked. The only advice I have is to over clock both as much as you can.

Both. It'd be better to only overclock his 6300 balls to the walls

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

4.2ghz is the max I can do. Trying to redirect the air flow and try 4.5 to see.

It is NOT a CPU bottleneck. Please stop assuming that because it is AMD. I have a Phenom II X6 with a GTX 970, no issue running GTA V at solid 60FPS 1080p very high settings with 2x TXAA, only when I'm driving very fast in the city or flying overhead downtown does it drop down but I haven't seen below 52.

But you're wrong it is a CPU bottleneck. My fx8320 bottlenecked my R9 290 in just about every game. I got fed up with it and bought an i5 4670k and a z87 board and  the card opened up. For example, my GPU would never go over 80% in BF3 while my fx8320 was ping at close to 99% usage. After I switched the intel the r9 290 runs at 99% usage pretty much all the time the way it should. I tied overclocking the fx8320 and all kinds of fixes, nothing helped. I googled it and saw other people were having the same issue and the only way they got full use out of their r9 290's was to switch to intel i5's or i7's. First hand experience, the AMD bottleneck is real.

@UnbendingNose what kind of resolution you running? 1080p 60fps? Bottlenecking at bf3 sounds like you running 1440p over 60fps or 4k?

Btw guys I only wants a 1080p 60fps experience actually cause my monitor is 60hz Type. Might upgrade to 1440p 60hz by qnix tho.

So guys to me i just wanna ask whether fx 6300 is limiting gtx 970 to reach 60 fps on 1080p display on very high settings or I have some other issue.because after research I realise 6300 does bottleneck 970 but if only it is pushed over 60 to 80 fps on 1080p. Haven tried the fix but just wanna gather more ideas maybe someone have same issue.

So guys to me i just wanna ask whether fx 6300 is limiting gtx 970 to reach 60 fps on 1080p display on very high settings or I have some other issue.because after research I realise 6300 does bottleneck 970 but if only it is pushed over 60 to 80 fps on 1080p. Haven tried the fix but just wanna gather more ideas maybe someone have same issue.

The FX6300 DOES bottleneck a 970.  It is either more or less depending on the game and the resolution.  At 1080p, the bottleneck is worse than at 1440p and above.

It also greatly depends on the game.  GTAV is a very CPU bound game, and the FX6300 is a bottleneck.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."