Huge problem with gtx 970

Zackfoo

This really pisses me off. That holiday build guide was one of if not the worst video I've seen from Linus. Complete negligence on his part to put that video out. He received a ton of criticism for it in the comments section. A massive failure of a build guide.

Your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU. There are probably some settings you can tweak to get better performance,but overall your processor is not a match for that high end of a GPU. @itachipirate should be able to help you. He has similar results in GTAV also with an FX6 and 970.

This is correct, listen to this. Your CPU is without a doubt holding back the GTX 970. Look at getting an unlocked i5 if you really want to fix the problem. That's what I did when my fx8320 was bottlenecking my R9 290, switched to an i5 4670k and the bottlenecks vanished. 

@UnbendingNose what kind of resolution you running? 1080p 60fps? Bottlenecking at bf3 sounds like you running 1440p over 60fps or 4k?

Btw guys I only wants a 1080p 60fps experience actually cause my monitor is 60hz Type. Might upgrade to 1440p 60hz by qnix tho.

I was running at 1080p with vsync off, trust me on this one. It was the fx8320 bottlenecking. It happened in more games than bf3 mostly CPU intensive games, just using that as an example. I did months of research on the issue and found other people having the same problem. Look up jkteddy77 on youtube, he was having the same issue, switched to intel and the bottlenecks went away.

First hand experience, the AMD bottleneck is real.

The FX6300 DOES bottleneck a 970.  It is either more or less depending on the game and the resolution.  At 1080p, the bottleneck is worse than at 1440p and above.

It also greatly depends on the game.  GTAV is a very CPU bound game, and the FX6300 is a bottleneck.

This is correct, listen to this. Your CPU is without a doubt holding back the GTX 970. Look at getting an unlocked i5 if you really want to fix the problem. That's what I did when my fx8320 was bottlenecking my R9 290, switched to an i5 4670k and the bottlenecks vanished. 

"First hand experience", talks about BF3 in a GTA V thread. Again I'm not saying that there is zero bottleneck, there IS a bottleneck, but the issue is not that the CPU is heavily holding it back, it's that I'm getting better FPS in the same game with the same GPU, and a worse CPU, and you're all crying out bottleneck. That is more relevant first-hand experience then a more powerful CPU with a different GPU in a different game. 

Once again, just to make it clear:

There IS a bottleneck. 

The point I'm trying to get across:

OP should be getting better performance then he is with his current setup. I have a theoretically even bigger bottleneck, and still getting better performance

"Rawr XD"

"First hand experience", talks about BF3 in a GTA V thread. Again I'm not saying that there is zero bottleneck, there IS a bottleneck, but the issue is not that the CPU is heavily holding it back, it's that I'm getting better FPS in the same game with the same GPU, and a worse CPU, and you're all crying out bottleneck. That is more relevant first-hand experience then a more powerful CPU with a different GPU in a different game. 

Just a page ago you were saying it is a bottleneck.  Pretty fast flip flop.

The Phenom has better single core performance than an FX6, so you should be getting slightly better performance, or could be using different settings, etc..

The Phenom at 3.9Ghz is only being beat by the FX6 when that FX is overclocked to 4.7Ghz, and even then, its only by a meager 3 points.

Just because the game can use more cores, doesn't mean it benefits from them.  We are seeing i3s that are outperforming FX8/9s in this game.

@itachipirate has an FX6 @ 4.2Ghz and a GTX970 getting almost identical results.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Just a page ago you were saying it is a bottleneck.  Pretty fast flip flop.

What? I agree that there is a bottleneck, but it is not as big of one as people are making it seem.

The Phenom has better single core performance than an FX6, so you should be getting slightly better performance, or could be using different settings, etc..

The Phenom at 3.9Ghz is only being beat by the FX6 when that FX is overclocked to 4.7Ghz, and even then, its only by a meager 3 points.

I know it has better single core performance and overall better IPC, but keep in mind that mine is at stock speeds (3.0GHz). OP's FX6 at 4.2 should be faster even single-threaded.

"Rawr XD"

I'm using a asus strix gtx 970 with latest nvidia driver update for gta v. Processor is fx 6300 with cooler Master cpu Cooler overclocked to 4.2ghz.

I'm getting 40 to 50 fps with very high settings and 50 to 60 with all normal settings. I do not think this is how it suppose to works but I have no idea why. Vsync is off too btw. Is it processor bottlenecking?

Assuming that's at 1080p, that's far lower than you should be getting. I suggest you check you don't have your advanced graphics set to maximum, or something. As for your CPU, that isn't a significant issue here, since the FPS you're getting are too low for that to be the case. 

@Morgan Everett how to check the graphic whether it is set to maximum or not? i agree with you I don't think cpu is bottlenecking until such serious condition where not even 60fps at 1080p.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

That CPU can play GTA V with (in my opinion) satisfying results. You do need to do some tweaking because with an i3/FX-6300 or lower you aren't going to use a GTX 970's full potential

Turn off everything in "advanced graphics" that taxes EVERY system heavily

Turn off Vsync and MSAA (2x MSAA isn't that bad if you really need it)

Adjust the distance scaling to around 75%

As @Faceman said, I got around the same results as you with the default settings, the same CPU at the same clockspeed under the same cooler you have. And the same graphics card. You have to tweak some but you won't see a difference between %100 distance scaling and %75 distance scaling. Of course you will still get the heart wrenching feeling of having to turn down settings that your graphics card is more than capable of running. Let's all pay more attention to the game specific CPU performance then what brand the CPU is. He'd have the same damn experience with an i3/970 but people act like he wouldn't

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

btw guys, tried overclock cpu to 4.5ghz and result was fair. Hwmonitor shows both cpu and gpu usage almost max, cpu at 98% and gpu at 95%.

All settings to very high with some exception for ultra, i can get about 50 to 60 fps.

If the advance graphic is all off, with grass turn to soft. mxaa off. fps is minimum 55 and max is about 90. 

It is not a bottleneck in term of usage but of course the fps can be increase with a i5 unlocked and my rig are meant for 1080p 60fps i dont even have monitor which goes above 60 so yup. Thx guys for all those advice!

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3