Safety when moving a computer?

Okay so I'm going to a small get together to a friends house and was wondering what should I do or becareful with when moving my computer? I don't want to harm my computer or something get corrupted. I just want some steps in preventing this from happening or something that will make me feel more at ease when moving the computer.

(Reason im bringing my computer is because im the only one with the Game and Hardware to run it fine)

Don't drop it?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you have a really heavy tower cooler, maybe take it off if you don't mind putting it back on with thermal paste. Otherwise, just be careful with it.

Sig under construction.

Just like other electronics(and most objects), dropping it can and may damage it. I would advise you to remove your expansion cards before moving your PC around.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Dont throw it out of the window.. even if its tempting

unless its REALLY funny

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I move my PC from house to house for LAN parties on a weekly basis, take it into the car with u and hold it steady, providing it doesnt fall or get thrown about theres little chance of anything catastrophic happening

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

• Don't drop it.

Go easy on it.

Take your time.

If you put it in your car, don't go too fast (I mean vibration).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

unless its REALLY funny

if {'thrown out window'}; then {'please film it'}

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Transport it in its side so it doesnt fall over and the cooler is standing straight up. Transport monitors face down on a blanket.

Or in their original boxes if it's not too much of an effort.

Sig under construction.

Or in their original boxes if it's not too much of an effort.

My Cosmos II was a bitch to get into its original box and to move it around.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you are really worried remove whatever video cards and aftermarket heat sinks.  I never have but I know when people ship or move they do.  I always cover mine with a towel as I do not want the window to scratch on my 760t.  I usually put it in the back seat.  I have put it in the trunk on it's side but I am more comfortable with the back seat so I can hold it.  Nothing 2 it.

Set it down, gently

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

My Cosmos II was a bitch to get into its original box and to move it around.

Yes, that'd be a pain. I'm just talking about the screens here.

Sig under construction.

When I move mine, I try to keep it on its side so the motherboard is parallel with the seat/floor. I also have the front of my case face the front of the car, to theoretically have less sway of the video card (although this won't matter if you have it screwed down well). I just get overly paranoid when moving my computer because I know that the only things I can afford to replace is the case and the hard drive. Just one, not both. College life is fun..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

oh yes.  Monitor screen always facing out.  You hold that with everything you are worth.  Haha.  I have a 1440p rog swift.  I was taking my rig to my buddies place and I may as well had been diffusing a bomb.  

unless its REALLY funny

Throwing a PC tower is sometimes the most productive thing to do.

I love disassembling and reassembling computers, cause it gives you a chance to redo the thermal compounds and give a good dust blast to individual parts.

SO whenever I transport my PC ( and I'v done so at least 19 times in 3 months) is disassemble the computer piece by piece and reseal all of the items in safe wrapping

like foam you can buy at the UPS store.

then put it all in a suit case if need be, and have a stick of thermal compound and 99% iso to clean and reapply the CPU sink

I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.288V                 Corsair Vengeance 12GB Cas8                          Overclocker Thug life
MSI-Gaming-7                                       Corsair Sandforce GT 120gig                             http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R2Jb6h   (Current Build)

OCZ Vertex2 60gig                               Corsair F60 60gig

Thanks for the funny and helpful replys everybody. Sorry if it was a dumb question but better safe than sorry :P.

Structurally, computers are pretty tough.  Its unlikely anything will break unless you drop it.  There is no need to take any parts out.  If you were going to ship it, I'd say take off large CPU coolers and remove the GPU.  Everything else is really secure.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I will just be taking it to a friend's house that is like a 15 minute drive. So car would be the thing im worried about from bumps and some turns.

I will just be taking it to a friend's house that is like a 15 minute drive. So car would be the thing im worried about from bumps and some turns.

put the mobo slush with the floor so the cpu coller doesnt bend or crack, (it shouldt)

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

Put the whole case back into the original box and foam it came in, besides the stuff everyone else said.

I move my PC from the basement into the dining room regularly. I host LAN parties quite often. If I am taking it to a friend's, I make sure it is laying on it's side in the car, and that the tower is unable to move around.  I have a Cooler Master Hyper T4, with a fan on each side, and a EVGA GTX 750Ti FTW installed. Never had issues with them coming loose. I've always practiced being careful and have never dropped it. Just be careful and you should be fine.

I also like to check connections before I power it on. I make sure RAM is seated, CPU cooler and expansion cards are seated and tight and that all cables are properly connected and not hanging free.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

unless its REALLY funny

Like if his grandmother is right outside the window, he should aim for her, yes?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313