XFX R9 290 Requires 750W PSU at Minimum?

Paul567

So based on some suggestions from the forum, I was thinking that my newest video card would be a XFX R9 290. I went to check it out on their website and discovered that the minimum PSU required for this card is a 750W with the recommended being 850W!

Are these guys just exaggerating or am I going to go power supply shopping?

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

If your PSU is high quality, 80+ certified, from a reliable brand then you will be fine with a 500-600W PSU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A decent 750 watt PSU is enough for two 290's, for one you only need ~500 watts.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

any brand psu that has the appropriate connectors will be fine

Thanks for the advice. Currently I have an EVGA 750W 80+ Gold power supply, I have a 4960k overclocked to about 4GHz right now.

If you get easily offended by people on the Internet there is something really wrong with you. You focus on the opinions of a few people instead of worrying about why you have a terrible taste in video games.

any brand psu that has the appropriate connectors will be fine

Any brand ? You use some chinese piece of crap in your rig ?

Corsair, Seasonic, Cooler Master, EVGA, Rosewill and at least 80+ Bronze...

Thanks for the advice. Currently I have an EVGA 750W 80+ Gold power supply, I have a 4960k overclocked to about 4GHz right now.

More than enough, you might even be able to run 2 of them (not entirely sure about that).

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Any brand ? You use some chinese piece of crap in your rig ?

Corsair, Seasonic, Cooler Master, EVGA, Rosewill and at least 80+ Bronze...

i said brand psu, so no no name, and Corsair psus arent any better than cheap ass psus

i said brand psu, so no no name, and Corsair psus arent any better than cheap ass psus

Lol, proof ? I've been using Corsair PSU for awhile now, and I never had any issues. 

I think the CX series can be sketchy sometimes and RM can have coilwhine, but all the others are pretty much OK in my book.

If your CPU isnt power hog then 550 W should be OK for single R9 290.

Codegen's Super Power series is a brand. It's a brand that has been known to emit acrid smoke under it's rated wattage.

Corsair's PSUs range from decent to amazing because they're sourced from good OEMs, and are covered by warranty. Corsair has an excellent reputation for a reason.

Lol, proof ? I've been using Corsair PSU for awhile now, and I never had any issues. 

i found out especially the CX/VS series has insane RMA rater and i experienced the same issues

So based on some suggestions from the forum, I was thinking that my newest video card would be a XFX R9 290. I went to check it out on their website and discovered that the minimum PSU required for this card is a 750W with the recommended being 850W!

Are these guys just exaggerating or am I going to go power supply shopping?

HD 6670 reccomended 550w psu while drawing 60w. Its bull, a nice 550w psu will do more than fine.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

I think the CX series can be sketchy sometimes and RM can have coilwhine, but all the others are pretty much OK in my book.

all of them even with HX psus there were people on forums complaining the 2nd rma unit they received also didnt work properly

all of them even with HX psus there were people on forums complaining the 2nd rma unit they received also didnt work properly

I've been using a TX series for over 2 years now and didn't have any problems with it. Still going strong.

It all depends on who the original manufacturer for one series is, I think, since some of them are rebrands.