[Heavy images and content. See "Recap" for lighter version] Microsoft BUILD Event - Day1 Keynote

GoodBytes

How is it ground breaking? Asus has been doing this for about 4 years now with Android. Dock your phone into a tablet, dock your tablet into a keyboard. I can even connect mouse, keyboard and a monitor to my tablet if I want to. It will be the same thing because the Windows 10 phones won't be able to run x86 programs (the only reason why I want the desktop).

I've been talking about your phone being your only computer for about 5 years or so, but we are still not there in terms of performance and especially not programs. It will be nice in the future but I don't think it's exciting or ground breaking right now.

Ubuntu has done a similar thing as well in the past (although it doesn't seem like it is getting any market share).

I'm gonna wait and see how easy it actually is, how well it performs and how feature compatibility will be before getting excited. They weren't exactly very detailed in their explanations or examples. I am also a bit worried about this being Microsoft trying to pull an "Embrace, extend and extinguish" tactic like they have done several times in the past. It seems like Microsoft's mentality has changed and that they are no longer pure fucking evil, but I still don't trust them.

Meh... It's nice and all to have another editor to choose from but it seems like Microsoft based it on Atom and added their own proprietary modules and tweaks. The most surprising and revolutionary thing about it is that it's Microsoft doing it. Kind of bothers me that they didn't even give any mention or thanks to GitHub during the presentation.

I will try it out but I don't see why anyone would cream their pants over it, especially not since a lot of people screaming are not developers. They didn't even make it open source despite the underlying editor being. I guess that's what GitHub gets for not using GPL.

It's nice to have it built into the OS but we have been able to do this for quite some time with third party solutions such as Chef (and Chef works on a lot more than just Windows 10).

I mean, as soon as they use anything other than Windows 10 you still need to rely on third party programs which does similar or the same thing. It's a nice addition but again, not really revolutionary or that exciting, especially not for the people who are screaming the most about how awesome the conference was (see this thread for lots of examples).

Pretty cool but very limit use outside of companies (and even then only a small portion of companies).

No I didn't really get excited over anything they talked about yesterday. They did show and talk about some neat things but again, nothing I think is groundbreaking or amazing. What worries me a bit is that a lot of people show the same kind of mentality towards this keynote as they do towards Apple keynotes. They go mental over things that have been done before (sometimes even better) and they get really hyped over things which we don't know a whole lot about. Reminds me of the reality distortion field Jobs had to an uncomfortable degree.

I am looking forward to Windows 10 a lot, but this keynote didn't change my level of excitement for it.

All fair points - but the ASUS docking thing is not the same. Once you dock everything, you're still using the same Android "Desktop" (or home screen or whatever) as you were on the phone and tablet, just on a bigger screen. It's not truly adapting to the larger screen form factor.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see how all this pans out, but Continuum seems to be taking it not just another step forward, but a whole league forward.

And some phones may definitely be able to run x86, depending on what SOC is used. Intel has had x86 Atom SOC's for a while now, and now they've got x64 ones now too, that are actually getting to a low enough wattage to be used in a Smartphone.

For example, the Intel Atom x7 Z8700 is a x86-64 SOC with a 2W design scenario.

Pop that into a phone, dock it to a 24" M/K/M setup, and you can run x86 or x64 programs (In theory).

Granted, most Windows 10 phones will probably run ARM chips, like the Snapdragon, but we'll see. The technology is here to allow that to happen.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

am i the only one to think here the MS is trying to push the boundaries to make something new? i mean jobs refined what was already there but Microsoft since i've known them have been trying to create new things, remember that LCD table 7-8 years ago ? that was mind blowing, it never took off, but was mind blowing at the time,

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

am i the only one to think here the MS is trying to push the boundaries to make something new? i mean jobs refined what was already there but Microsoft since i've known them have been trying to create new things, remember that LCD table 7-8 years ago ? that was mind blowing, it never took off, but was mind blowing at the time,

It never took off, because it was SUPER expensive. The technology was not just a giant touch screen, but it can recognize pressure applied to it, and shapes. It even had the technology for wireless data transfer, by putting a supported device on the table, it can transfer data.

Microsoft only made it available in a limited run, for select businesses that wanted it. I think a few fancy hotels and bars bought a bunch. Certainly it paid R&D cost, but was never a product for the masses.

Jobs was pushing for end-user experience excellence. He was very picky, and had really high level of standards.

If you look at the first iPhone released. The whole App store thing didn't exists, it wasn't even in Apples mind. It was just a smart phone. But unlike the competitors, he didn't settled for a crappy touch screen, he wanted the best. Apple experimented for sure with different designs and did studies in trying to see what works. And here comes a keyboard-less smartphone (I mean physical keyboard). They didn't want a shitty TN panel like other manufacture was putting, as they didn't have the mentality of "it is just a phone!", or "they won't do Photoshop on it, so who cares". No, he wanted the best, so IPS it is. He didn't want the ugly connector casing for the phone plug to be visible (which is funny as Apple, Razer and Microsoft are the only manufacture that pays attention to this, even if you are willing to spend 300$ on a computer case, you have really ugly USB ports, where they stick like a sore thumb... but as no one points them out, case manufacture don't care, and move on. Heck even NCASE M1 fails at that. But on an Apple computer or Razer or Microsoft, not only you don't see the casing, but they dyed the USB plug to be invisible, and not stick out like a sore thumb). Anyway, so he also did that on software, so at the end, you have the iPhone. Same applies for all Apple products. The cost is lack of functionality, as most of the energy is spent on this, and the less features you have, the easier it is to debug, the more time you can spend on polish, optimization, ensuring the best experience.

To show what I mean about the USB port which I think highlight attention to details:

Which is nicer (USB ports):

This: http://i.imgur.com/qb47Nlc.jpg

or

This: http://cdn1.itpro.co.uk/sites/itpro/files/styles/gallery_wide/public/mac_pro_-_ports.jpg?itok=mBoOEtu5

It never took off, because it was SUPER expensive. The technology was not just a giant touch screen, but it can recognize pressure applied to it, and shapes. It even had the technology for wireless data transfer, by putting a supported device on the table, it can transfer data.

Microsoft only made it available in a limited run, for select businesses that wanted it. I think a few fancy hotels and bars bought a bunch. Certainly it paid R&D cost, but was never a product for the masses.

ya i figured, but you have to agree that no one did what they did at the time , like this halo thingy they are doing now

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

@GoodBytes spoiler there is no good excuse to not using it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

ya i figured, but you have to agree that no one did what they did at the time , like this halo thingy they are doing now

I completed my post. Check it out.

Yes, I agree.

Innovation has risks. Vista was an example of having a peace of software (well Operating System), that was too ahead of its time for running it on most of the systems at the time. But Microsoft was not thinking at today, but rather a OS core that they can use for many generations of Windows to come. Windows 8 was another. Trying to predict market change (no more laptops, no more desktop, tablets only. Which really that is what was really happening at the time, only recently, like this past year and half or so, tablet sales shrank (but laptop and desktop are still not increasing).)

Surface Pro is one that worked (pro specifically). Had a ruff start due to technology limitation (low battery life on first gen Pro, due to the Intel CPU being so power hungry... but still could give you 5-6h which is not too awful, but still for the asking price.. that is low), but it did kick-off strongly with the Pro 2 which was able to correct the problem, and really take off with the Pro 3.

I completed my post. Check it out.

Yes, I agree.

Innovation has risks. Vista was an example of having a peace of software (well Operating System), that was too ahead of its time for running it on most of the systems at the time. But Microsoft was not thinking at today, but rather a OS core that they can use for many generations of Windows to come. Windows 8 was another. Trying to predict market change (no more laptops, no more desktop, tablets only. Which really that is what was really happening at the time, only recently, like this past year and half or so, tablet sales shrank (but laptop and desktop are still not increasing).)

Surface Pro is one that worked (pro specifically). Had a ruff start due to technology limitation (low battery life on first gen Pro, due to the Intel CPU being so power hungry... but still could give you 5-6h which is not too awful, but still for the asking price.. that is low), but it did kick-off strongly with the Pro 2 which was able to correct the problem, and really take off with the Pro 3.

there's less and less innovation in the past decade compared to the 90's, we kinda seem to have slowed down on innovation , i really appreciate MS for trying something new and yeah risks are needed, luckily they're MS. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

First page is long af. Looks baller though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Grooooooan..... I wish I had a computer that could run this and games!!! Looks like it will be an amazing OS to use. If the rumors about Edge being better then chrome are true i would definitely switch once i can use windows 10.

The hololens is awesome!! Although I have to say that it is just way to bulky right now to be practical. The render shows it as much thinner then the actual picture of the guy wearing it. Once it gets to be at least that thin I would want to have it. Hopefully it will get to that before its official launch.

Any way great job reporting on this GoodBytes.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Any news on Edge being cross platform ? I didn't see anything but if this thing is Windows only, I won't be using it. That's the exact reason why I'm not using Safari right now... It's my favorite browser but there's no way I'm gonna manage my bookmarks and schnitzel in 2 places. 

Windows 10 only (this includes all editions/versions of Windows 10 that can run Universal Apps. So Windows 10 for phone, and while not explicitly said, Windows 10 IoT, HoloLens, and so on)

Basically, Edge is a Universal App, so it runs on anything that can run Universal Apps. So Windows 10. Will there be specifically build Android and iOS version on day? Maybe, but I think Microosft is busy finishing off Edge first. It has A LOT of work to be done, and already add-on support will be released after Windows 10 is released. It won't make it on day 1.