[Heavy images and content. See "Recap" for lighter version] Microsoft BUILD Event - Day1 Keynote

GoodBytes

great post !
it looks pretty interesting for whats coming !

What do they mean by free? Is it only free for one year then I have to pay for it?

How many times we need to explain this :(

Its a free UPGRADE. Upgrade is the main keyword.

So within 1st year of release all windows 7-8.1 users can upgrade to windows 10 for free and enjoy fully licensed windows 10 experience.

The following lines are just my point of view about what could go wrong in the future. I haven't read it anywhere. I'm just sceptic and pessimistic about this:

Surely MS will one day come out and demand a subscription or other kind of BS to screw with the users.

They wouldn't spend years of development and money to give us something for free.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yeah that's sort of what I mean. As long as I can get essential Android apps on Windows Phone, it will look really compelling. I feel like I got so much more done on Windows Phone.  Now I just play around with silly apps and waste time :)

how do you know edge is behind on standards, the last time i saw benchmarks of it, it was running circles vs IE, and it even was bit faster that chrome, and had better support for HTML5 (that the first time egeHTML was benchmarked when it was only available in IE), and lately they have talked a bit about their asm.js implementation, something that neither other browser has, at least on their stable releases. yes, benches aren't representative of real world but i think that saying this is as naive as saying it will be the best damn thing ever, especially when all of it is on beta and won't be out of it until a couple of months later, your criticisms would be more valid if what we have in our hands is the final build, which is nowhere near it, i'm fine with ripping them a new one, if this problems persist in the RTM build

as for the fragmentation part, well i'm sure they learned their lesson with XP, which no one should use now, google is gonna kill chrome support for it around november and i think a recent itunes update broken the framework to be usable under XP, idk if they fixed it, but if they didn't, i don't think is that bad, the more people and devs abandon that OS, the better, though i do agree that they should support edge to be the same thing well after 10 being replaced (unless microsoft goes full apple and give free .1 updates up to the point the hardware is fully obsolete)

I know Edge is behind in standards because we have tests of it (it's available in the tech preview).

CanIUse results

HTML5Test results

Not sure what you mean with other browsers not having asm.js implemented. Both Chrome and Firefox has been doing asm.js specific code for several versions. Firefox's asm.js optimized module is called OdinMonkey and has been in Firefox since version 22 (Firefox 22 Stable that is, not Aurora or Nightly).

You're right that it's not finished though, so I shouldn't be too hard on it. Maybe it will get better before the final release but knowing Microsoft's track record I am expecting the worst.

I know Edge is behind in standards because we have tests of it (it's available in the tech preview).

CanIUse results

HTML5Test results

Not sure what you mean with other browsers not having asm.js implemented. Both Chrome and Firefox has been doing asm.js specific code for several versions. Firefox's asm.js optimized module is called OdinMonkey and has been in Firefox since version 22 (Firefox 22 Stable that is, not Aurora or Nightly).

You're right that it's not finished though, so I shouldn't be too hard on it. Maybe it will get better before the final release but knowing Microsoft's track record I am expecting the worst.

i stand corrected, and well i said that bout asm.js because that what i saw on their support page about what features are enabled or in work for IE/edge which was a few weeks ago and list what is avalible in other browsers too (which are horribly outdated now that i see this), same with the benches

also, you talk a lot about the UI in 10, they released a blog post about what is currently going on about that, figure you would be interested http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/29/windows-10-design-getting-the-balance-right/

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So far, web developers are very happy with Spartan/Edge.

So that is good. It means that the web browser has the most important grounds in web standard that it supports.

The rest will come over time.

Anything on the exact release date?

summer is the only official words spoken, but there's lots of speculation and rumors that might be late july

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

@GoodBytes I think you should change the title of this thread. Right now it's "Microsoft BUILD Event - Ended - Lots of awesome stuff!" but the build event hasn't ended. So maybe say something like "Microsoft BUILD Event - Day1 Keynote Ended - Lots of awesome stuff!"

Great post BTW

Nice, now if only MS could bring Office to Linux at some point, that would be lovely... :wub:

(Yes, I know, long shot)

just curious why this is needed since there is open office, libre, and google office?

just curious why this is needed since there is open office, libre, and google office?

Because Office 365 in the workplace collectively kicks the ass of all the above. Combined. MSs enterprise software and service is not a joke. I'd rather have my buildings run MS than anything else if I could. 

As for Microsoft Edge, it still has some of the same issues I've had since forever with IE. Behind in supported standards, lack of extensions (like with Android apps, Chrome extensions needs to be modified in order to work in Edge so we will see how that goes), closed source and still fragmented (not all versions of Windows gets the same updates, unless they change that and release Edge for Windows XP too).

Edge does support extensions. They demoed a couple in the keynote today. I highly suggest that you watch the keynote that happened today. Some of the things you have commented are answered in the keynote.

Also, to give a little bit of perspective of how good and easy it could be to bring an ios app or android app to the windows platform, King took their Objective C code of Candy Crush and made the app run on windows phone. The Candy Crush app in windows phone store right now that is being used by windows phone users is that app.

What the heck is powering the hololens?

A battery inside the headset. There are also two processors I believe in halo lens. It needs no external power for processing or battery while running.

@GoodBytes I think you should change the title of this thread. Right now it's "Microsoft BUILD Event - Ended - Lots of awesome stuff!" but the build event hasn't ended. So maybe say something like "Microsoft BUILD Event - Day1 Keynote Ended - Lots of awesome stuff!"

Great post BTW

You are very right. Usually day 2 is very dev oriented. Like they'll talk about Visual Studio, Universal Apps (my guess), so I don't think many here care about that. But I'll fix the title. Thanks! :)

That was a very long OP, @GoodBytes. Is there any way that you can condense the images down to a few levels of spoilers?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

To prove how revolutionary our new browser is, we've named it after an outdated cellphone standard.

*insert random facepalm gif here*

Still seeing those fugly tiles in some of the pics, so I'm not interested in any of it.

To prove how revolutionary our new browser is, we've named it after an outdated cellphone standard.

*insert random facepalm gif here*

Still seeing those fugly tiles in some of the pics, so I'm not interested in any of it.

They need to keep the "e".

There was a discussion here a while back when Spartan was rumored. The problem is that you have many (probably most) computer users, that they identify going on the web by clicking on the 'e' icon. As they discontinue Internet Explorer, there is no more 'e' icon if they called it Spartan.

There was rumors that said that it would be called 'Edge' during the days of rumored Spartan, and hence the discussion there was on this forum a while back. I don't think they have much choice.

Rest In Pieces shitty internet connections... Might wanna just put your entire post in a spoiler or something and warn about how image heavy it is.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Wow, Windows phone will a get a desktop once docked! That's a game changer, I would actually consider a Windows phone if it had that feature...

Spoiler just hides the images from view, they are still downloaded. I'll make a condense post.

Spoiler just hides the images from view, they are still downloaded. I'll make a condense post.

Instead of one post that has condensed info, maybe make a few posts about each large topic that was at the keynote. So there is this post that has all the info and then a few posts of just one topic. Only if you want to put in the time.

Edit: Never mind. You already made one that looks good.

Edge does support extensions. They demoed a couple in the keynote today. I highly suggest that you watch the keynote that happened today. Some of the things you have commented are answered in the keynote.

Also, to give a little bit of perspective of how good and easy it could be to bring an ios app or android app to the windows platform, King took their Objective C code of Candy Crush and made the app run on windows phone. The Candy Crush app in windows phone store right now that is being used by windows phone users is that app.

Reread my post. I never said Edge doesn't support extensions, I said that it has a lot of catching up to do. Like with Android and iOS apps, Chrome extensions have to be tweaked to work in Edge. At best I can see the extension support getting to a point where it's slightly worse than Chrome, but Firefox has better addons that Chrome so Edge would still be behind if that happened (and I don't even see that happening).

Don't blindly trust demos like that Candy Crush one. They are usually best case scenarios and even then we don't know the performance impacts it might have, or how it will handle more complex programs.

Reread my post. I never said Edge doesn't support extensions, I said that it has a lot of catching up to do. Like with Android and iOS apps, Chrome extensions have to be tweaked to work in Edge. At best I can see the extension support getting to a point where it's slightly worse than Chrome, but Firefox has better addons that Chrome so Edge would still be behind if that happened (and I don't even see that happening).

Don't blindly trust demos like that Candy Crush one. They are usually best case scenarios and even then we don't know the performance impacts it might have, or how it will handle more complex programs.

Oh sorry, I didn't read that whole part. Yes, edge will need to get extensions developed for it.

No, it's not a demo. The game Candy Crush that people are playing RIGHT NOW on windows phone is the app that King took the objective C code and made it into a windows app. The app that has been there for many many weeks.

You should watch the keynote.http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/KEY01

Skip to 1:58:43 to hear about the Candy Crush part.

Save your money and get the upcoming flagship W10 phone that will work with Continuum. I'm giggling like a girl now.. :D

Yeah... if it even comes to Canada. We have exactly ZERO flagship WP8 phones right now. The HTC One M8 nor the Nokia Lumia 930/Icon are available in Canada. You can import them if you get the specific right model that will work on Canadian Carriers - but it's expensive! $900+ CAD often! I got my Lumia 830 on a 2 year contract for free :) But hells yeah, I'd love a flagship W10 device with Continuum support!

100% agree with Victorious Secret. Full MS Office Suite is simply a superior software package. OpenOffice looks like garbage, Libre Office is a bit better, but still doesn't even come close to all the features MS Office has, some of which are incredibly useful for productivity, and Google Office is a joke compared to any of them, unless you simply want to type a letter to grandma or do some basic spreadsheets.

Because Office 365 in the workplace collectively kicks the ass of all the above. Combined. MSs enterprise software and service is not a joke. I'd rather have my buildings run MS than anything else if I could. 

Agreed. We don't use 365 at work, but we're on 2013, so the software package client side is basically the same.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)