Can I game on external TV/monitor and still use my PC ?

bydus

Hello. I was wondering if I can setup my monitors the way that I can open and play games on TV or my other monitor and still use the computer the normal way? If so where and how do I set it up. Also if I had a game running on tv and browse the web on my monitor would it take away some gpu power or performance? I'm running i7-4790k and msi 970.

Just plug it in and go to control panel and set up the pattern of screens. It will use up GPU power but a 970 can easily handle it!

Build: GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 CPU: Intel i5 4690 MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Obsidian 500R

Just bear in mind that the Response time will be slightly higher than 5ms for most LED TV's

Because he had a hard drive.

It's hard to do anything else as you can only focus 1 (Talking about active windows not people multi-tasking) thing at a time.. But you can certainly have a game running with other stuff open on the second screen but as far as I'm aware you can't use them and game at the same time (like have someone use a controller to play while you work..) 

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I used to watch youtube videos on one monitor while gaming on the other, and this was on a crappy laptop - with your setup, it should work like a breeze - plug in the extra monitors, right-click the desktop, select "screen resolution" and make sure to set the additional monitors to extend the desktop (it usually defaults to duplicate); also in this window you can drag the monitors around to border each other where they should.

Some games allow you to choose in the settings which monitor to use, but I would suggest setting as "primary" the monitor which you want to game on, so everything will go there by default.

Also, I would advise you to get Display Fusion on Steam - it's a nifty piece of software that allows you to have a taskbar on each monitor, easily set up desktop backgrounds, etc.

Good luck :)

(Oh, and if you're using anything other than windows 7 some of my directions might need translating)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

Are you planning to use bigger monitor as primary screen all the time or only for gaming? That will work just like that. If you are planning to use bigger monitor only for gaming and your smaller screen to all the other stuff, you will either need to set bigger screen to primary always when you are going to game and back to secondary after it (using power button doesn't help). Or someway setup games to launch into secondary monitor or drag them there always.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hello. I was wondering if I can setup my monitors the way that I can open and play games on TV or my other monitor and still use the computer the normal way? If so where and how do I set it up. Also if I had a game running on tv and browse the web on my monitor would it take away some gpu power or performance? I'm running i7-4790k and msi 970.

I've never tried but I think changing the settings to boarderless window in the game might help keep focus on 2 Windows

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just bear in mind that the Response time will be slightly higher than 5ms for most LED TV's

yes and the input lag would surely be unbearable.

Bear in mind that response time is not input lag, it's the time it takes for a gray to gray transition. (or something like that, but it's simply not input lag.)

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Bear in mind that response time is not input lag, it's the time it takes for a gray to gray transition. (or something like that, but it's simply not input lag.)

Very well, but what is the answer to life and the human condition? ;)

(42...?)

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-

Very well, but what is the answer to life and the human condition? ;)

(42...?)

Tetris.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313