R9 280 vs GTX 960? (Sorry.)

Vozella

I'm sorry to be posting something so many other people have posted, but I'm still confused. I've been reading in the forums and I see winning arguments from both sides. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alinustechtips.com+r9+280+vs+gtx+960

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127789&cm_re=msi_r9_280-_-14-127-789-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127843&cm_re=msi_gtx_960-_-14-127-843-_-Product

I've seen benchmarks where the 280 wins and others where the 960 wins.

Is it true that they are the same except the 960 is colder so it has overclock farther?

Will I ever need 3G vs 2G?

Edit: BTW, I'm going for 1080p.

Edit: I'm going to plan to go for an MSI GTX 960 for now. If you think otherwise, tell me why.

Edited by Vozella

3GB is certainly handy to have, but it all depends on what games you're playing, but by the time you've gotten to places where the extra VRAM is useful, your GPU won't be fast enough to p[lay it at a high enough framerate anyways

Well ; there is the 280 / 285 / 280x , if you can go for the 280x;

I would take the 280 for the 3GB ( becoming more and more important )

the gtx 960 is quieter and will oc further , but oc'in will only bridge the gap with a stock 280x .

As far as the 960 , it has better software and is newer .

Depends what is cheapest .

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I would personally go with the 960 because of the features and software BUT 280 may be better in the long-run.

As far as the 960 , it has better software and is newer .

What software does it have that AMD doesn't? What features? 

Eh. I personally like the 285 more than the 280, as it pretty much outperforms it. The 280 has 3GB, and thats all it has. The power is lacking.

Between the 285 and 960, get whichever is cheapest. The 960 is cheaper than any 285 right now I believe 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

I'm sorry to be posting something so many other people have posted, but I'm still confused. I've been reading in the forums and I see winning arguments from both sides. https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alinustechtips.com+r9+280+vs+gtx+960

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127789&cm_re=msi_r9_280-_-14-127-789-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127843&cm_re=msi_gtx_960-_-14-127-843-_-Product

I've seen benchmarks where the 280 wins and others where the 960 wins.

Is it true that they are the same except the 960 is colder so it has overclock farther?

Will I ever need 3G vs 2G?

Edit: BTW, I'm going for 1080p.

It seems like everyone on this forum loves to hate the GTX 960, but as you've noticed it's about equal to the R9 280/285 with the "winner" depending on the game. Based on the benchmarks out there I'm still inclined to say that a GTX 960 with 2 GB of VRAM is not a serious handicap at 1080p.

I don't think the R9 280 is a particularly hot card either, and how a video card responds to overclocking depends on much more than simply how hot it gets. Reliable delivery of a lot of power is also a major factor, so lower-power cards aren't automatically better. The "high-end" overclocking cards often add extra PCIe power connector pins, i.e an. 8-pin or two 6-pin connectors for some 960's.

3D vision, AMDs 3D setup doesn't work well.

I haven't looked deeply  into AMDs software but Nvidias driver updater, game optimizer and everything kinda just works.

AMDs you have to register or something I forget what its called. Never liked it.

blackshades on

Shadowplay, sheild,. That's pretty much it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

An extra GB of VRAM may sound nice, but.

For example, Dying Light either uses 2GB (medium shadows) or 3.5GB (high shadows) so in this game, there's nothing a 3GB card can do that a 2GB card won't.

And I've yet to see an example where 3GB does what 2GB could not, except for games that would normally use 2GB @ 1080p in 1440p.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

3D vision, AMDs 3D setup doesn't work well.

I haven't looked deeply  into AMDs software but Nvidias driver updater, game optimizer and everything kinda just works.

AMDs you have to register or something I forget what its called. Never liked it.

I was origianlly going to go for AMD, but I might go for Nvidia because of the Software. 

Shadowplay, sheild, 0-core. That's pretty much it.

In my experience is amds Raptr as good as shadowplay, 0-core is actually amds technology no available for nvidia cards.

I was origianlly going to go for AMD, but I might go for Nvidia because of the Software. 

Yeah that's exactly why I moved from an R7770 to two GTX 760s just because I liked Nvidias software.

blackshades on

They have their on version of Shadowplay, then splashbox ( I think) and ZeroCore is an AMD Technology.

In my experience is amds Raptr as good as shadowplay, 0-core is actually amds technology no available for nvidia cards.

Excuse me, meant to say the whole no fan spinning bull crap that 9 series cards do when setup. Got the terms mixed around. Thanks for the correction.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

960 because of The Witcher 3 and similar price.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well, they are both good options. The gtx 960 is a little bit more powerful than the reference r9 280 (at 940MHz), but there are overclocked versions of it that are better than the gtx 960. At they max overclocks they are pretty much equal (it depends on the game). Driver support is good for both of them. You get better power consumption with the gtx 960, but the r9 280 has 3GB of VRAM, that are very important these days.  

I agree that you should get which ever is cheaper since there's not a whole lot performance difference.

But if they were a tie in pricing I would go with the 960 over 280 and the 280x over 960.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Excuse me, meant to say the whole no fan spinning bull crap that 9 series cards do when setup. Got the terms mixed around. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, amd shuts down your GPU completely, when your pc is still on (let us say, you are downloading something large, like a steam game and it is going to take a few hours) but your monitor goes to sleep.

Yeah, amd shuts down your GPU completely, when your pc is still on (let us say, you are downloading something large, like a steam game and it is going to take a few hours) but your monitor goes to sleep.

It doesnt shut it down completely, it puts it into a low power state, such as RAM or a HDD while in sleep mode.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

It doesnt shut it down completely, it puts it into a low power state, such as RAM or a HDD while in sleep mode.

You have earned a cookie for correcting me :) it actually decreases the usage of the GPU to around 3W.

You have earned a cookie for correcting me :) it actually decreases the usage of the GPU to around 3W.

Yup, I learned this when looking around for GPU's when I had less money, saw a R9 280 from MSI, this was a large advertising point

:D

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

No fan spinney thingy can be applied to any GPU really. Unless there's lock downs in place.

I couldn't care about that to be honest. ShadowPlay is alright and the streaming is probably the better stand out feature. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III