i7 users may want to disable HT for GTAV

Vrbas

So was looking up some benchmarks and I came across this one.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

Seems by disabling HT you get a slight performance increase. Not much but every bit counts I suppose. Would like to get some feedback from i7 users that can test this themselves.

I see people keep posting that you need an i7 for this game that clearly isn't the case.

Personally for the sake of 3FPS I couldn't be bothered with the effort of booting into BIOS to re-enable it again. :P 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

So was looking up some benchmarks and I came across this one.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more

Seems by disabling HT you get a slight performance increase. Not much but every bit counts I suppose. Would like to get some feedback from i7 users that can test this themselves.

I see people keep posting that you need an i7 for this game that clearly isn't the case.

Nobody has ever said that you need an i7 for gaming.  If anything, everyone has always said an i5 is good enough.  

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

Techspot behcmarks show no difference between the i7 and i5 worth mentioning.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Not worth for 1-3 fps difference.

Im keeping mine on.

i7 users have 2 screens most likely.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

i7 users have 2 screens most likely.

I don't understand how this is relevant. Please enlighten me. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Personally for the sake of 3FPS I couldn't be bothered with the effort of booting into BIOS to re-enable it again. :P

Same

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I don't understand how this is relevant. Please enlighten me.

Multitasking likes HT.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Multitasking likes HT.

I see. Makes sense. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

LOL... thats not even noticeable difference... I mean, who would disable HT just to get under 5 FPS in one game? Also if you are streaming/recording it will even hurt your performance.

From what I've seen, most people complaining are those with i5's. I'm not sure how much HT helps with 4-core i7's but I'm sure it does improve performance. I've seen some YT vids showing i7's with HT pushing more fps than my i5 and that's at higher settings. I get mostly around 60, often dropping to ~50 fps, sometimes even lower. 

What is certain is that i5's aren't able to push 60 fps most of the time in the city. I'm getting 100% usage and stuttering. Frame times are a mess, they're usually 14 - 25 ms , spiking up to ~35 ms sometimes. This is a very CPU heavy game.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

From what I've seen, most people complaining are those with i5's. I'm not sure how much HT helps with 4-core i7's but I'm sure it does improve performance. I've seen some YT vids showing i7's with HT pushing more fps than my i5 and that's at higher settings. I get mostly around 60, often dropping to ~50 fps, sometimes even lower. 

I don't trust gamersnexus nor techspot. I have yet to see a valid benchmark from them. I never get the same performance as they do with the same hardware.

What is certain is that i5's aren't able to push 60 fps most of the time in the city. I'm getting 100% usage and stuttering. Frame times are a mess, they're usually 14 - 25 ms , spiking up to ~35 ms sometimes. This is a very CPU heavy game.

Hmmm i wouldn't be blaming your i5. I have a 4690k/GTX970 I'm getting 90+FPS in the city. You should have better FPS in the City than outside of the city. What are your settings?

Mine are FXAA ON, MSAA Off, Everything max besides grass on High. Advanced Settings off besides High detail streaming while flying. I do not drop below 60fps and I usually keep Vsync on, I have more problems with it off.

I never get the same performance as they do with the same hardware.

Do you have exactly the same system as their test bed? Are you running exactly the same repeatable sequence of gameplay exactly the same number of times to get an average?

It's equally important to understand what benchmarks aren't supposed to be, as it is to understand what they are.

Ahhh, and let the people with i5's begin hating on i7's just because they don't have one. I mean sure: does it make a huge difference and is it necessary? No. I shall spend my money on what I want and an i7 it is.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Hmmm i wouldn't be blaming your i5. I have a 4690k/GTX970 I'm getting 90+FPS in the city. You should have better FPS in the City than outside of the city. What are your settings?

Mine are FXAA ON, MSAA Off, Everything max besides grass on High. Advanced Settings off besides High detail streaming while flying. I do not drop below 60fps and I usually keep Vsync on, I have more problems with it off.

I get 100% usage on the CPU, and it's GTA V and not a process in the background. The game is CPU-bound in the city, GPU-bound outside the city due to grass, trees and what not. My settings are mixed high/very high but all those settings are GPU related. My GPU usage in the city is 50-80%, while my CPU is running at 100%, so the CPU is the issue. Advanced settings are off so no, they're not the cause. 

Do you have exactly the same system as their test bed? Are you running exactly the same repeatable sequence of gameplay exactly the same number of times to get an average?

It's equally important to understand what benchmarks aren't supposed to be, as it is to understand what they are.

You're right. To be honest I've never examined their tests thoroughly so I take back what I said. I shouldn't have accused them without thorough examination and proof. Although Techspot tested CPUs at 1600p, which is kinda weird since it's a GPU-bound scenario. No wonder why an i5 performs the same as a 5960X.

Ahhh, and let the people with i5's begin hating on i7's just because they don't have one. I mean sure: does it make a huge difference and is it necessary? No. I shall spend my money on what I want and an i7 it is.

Since I'm the one who brought up talk about i5's, I'm assuming you were referring to me. I'm not hating on i7's, I simply stated GTA V is a CPU-bound game and requires i7's since my game stutters with an i5 which is at 100% load.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

My i5 3230M has Hyper-Threading.Too bad the Clevo BIOS is a bit locked down...even with a custom BIOS, I can't disable HT. I honestly haven't noticed any negative impact in games, but I did notice a negative impact on my i7 950 desktop in some games.

I get 100% usage on the CPU, and it's GTA V and not a process in the background. The game is CPU-bound in the city, GPU-bound outside the city due to grass, trees and what not. My settings are mixed high/very high but all those settings are GPU related. My GPU usage in the city is 50-80%, while my CPU is running at 100%, so the CPU is the issue. Advanced settings are off so no, they're not the cause. 

And this is where you're wrong.  Grass is purely CPU-bound.

I get similar framerates with HT disable thru cmd line but noticeable smoother frametime. Maybe placebo but i will try it again.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

My i5 agrees

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

And this is where you're wrong.  Grass is purely CPU-bound.

Then why is my GPU usage 100% when there's a lot of grass and In the city where there's only a bit of grass it's 50-80%?

From Gamersnexus' article:

(...) it was noteworthy that the Titan X struggled severely with ultra grass settings. This is one of the few settings that exhibited such a large hit to Titan X performance.

Grass quality settings impact how much standing grass there is in-game. This is best shown by traveling north of the city, where wild grass grows on hillsides. In-city grass does not show this setting, for the most part. Higher settings will spawn more tall grass, which has a swaying animation to convey wind. The lowest settings will present “flat” textured grass instead.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1909-gta-v-graphics-optimization-guide

Then why is my GPU usage 100% when there's a lot of grass and In the city where there's only a bit of grass it's 50-80%?

From Gamersnexus' article:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1909-gta-v-graphics-optimization-guide

Because every other graphical setting you select is applied to each and every blade of grass.  The rendering of the grass is the CPU-killer.  Every blade of grass is a physics entity.

I get similar framerates with HT disable thru cmd line but noticeable smoother frametime. Maybe placebo but i will try it again.

Smoother frametime would be better.