Valve is throwing steam off a cliff

zappian

BJP4c33.png

After the very controversial and mediatic early access program greenlight that produced tons and tons of piss poor games , games using copyrighted content , developers downright scamming consumers and banning everyone that commented on their forums with any negative feedback AND also taking DMCA attacks agains youtubers that gave a poor opinion of their product.

All this due to shoddy quality control , greenlight´s idea of a self regulating system failed and the plan backfired for valve.

Now we have the payed workshop mods where valve takes 75% of the cut.

Pay mods have always been controversial and valve has taken a massive backlash over this , several tech and gaming communities online were frankly shocked by this measure and the cut valve wanted to take.

Valve just moves from bad idea to bad idea constantly with their steam platform and it looks like they are trying to kill its credibility.

But it doesnt really matter to be honest , steam has us all at ransom , at gunpoint because they hold our valuable game libraries and can do whatever they want.

With great power comes great responsibility and they are not upholding it as they should.

What do you think about this?

BJP4c33.png

After the very controversial and mediatic early access program greenlight that produced tons and tons of piss poor games , games using copyrighted content , developers downright scamming consumers and banning everyone that commented on their forums with any negative feedback AND also taking DMCA attacks agains youtubers that gave a poor opinion of their product.

All this due to shoddy quality control , greenlight´s idea of a self regulating system failed and the plan backfired for valve.

Now we have the payed workshop mods where valve takes 75% of the cut.

Pay mods have always been controversial and valve has taken a massive backlash over this , several tech and gaming communities online were frankly shocked by this measure and the cut valve wanted to take.

Valve just moves from bad idea to bad idea constantly with their steam platform and it looks like they are trying to kill its credibility.

But it doesnt really matter to be honest , steam has us all at ransom , at gunpoint because they hold our valuable game libraries and can do whatever they want.

With great power comes great responsibility and they are not upholding it as they should.

What do you think about this?

Fuck valve and GOG FTW?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Fuck valve and GOG FTW?

GOG galaxy needs to come out.

For now it has mainly just old games.

But yeah GOG is amazing , for some games it even has the mods to make the game more modern packed in .

LOL HOLD UP

How is 25% supporting the creator? So if I was to give someone $50 for a mod, the creator only gets 12.50$???

Ok valve GG

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

7fIJVHP.png

valve/steam please don't become as money greedy as EA 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Steam has been rolling down the hill and into the crap pile for some time now.

This does not surprise me, just makes me laugh.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Relevant also.

Why the fuck would I pay for mods when I can get them from nexus? And if anyone calls 'lord gaben' a savior, I'll reach through the screen, grab them by the neck and start banging their head on the nearest object.

PMSL

Why the fuck would I pay for mods when I can get them from nexus? And if anyone calls 'lord gaben' a savior, I'll reach through the screen, grab them by the neck and start banging their head on the nearest object.

Every company succumbs to greed.

Even "holy" valve.

If they keep abusing their costumers people will look for an alternative.

Every company succumbs to greed.

Even "holy" valve.

If they keep abusing their costumers people will look for an alternative.

Well as long as the alternatives aren't Uplay and Origin.

PMSL

valve/steam please don't become as money greedy as EA 

They're a company like any other company, they exist to increase their profit. That has been the case for the longest time actually, I'm surprised that some people are just now getting it. The whole "Lord GabeN" thing was always meant ironically, Steam has been terrible (and "greedy") since the dawn of time.

Well as long as the alternatives aren't Uplay and Origin.

Origin, while it is a steaming pile of shit, has better quality control, way better customer support and better policies in terms of refunds and whatnot.

wanna know why they are doing this?

because they can.

what are you gonna do? go origin and play like the 10 games mostly dead space and bf on origin, or try to play without steam and be unable to play 99% of your games. 

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

because they can.

what are you gonna do? go origin and play like the 10 games mostly dead space and bf on origin, or try to play without steam and be unable to play 99% of your games. 

because they can.

Go DRM free, basically. Which has been the better solution for a long time now. And hope for competing services from other companies.

1ap6ACn.png

The cut is not a fixed value, and is determined by the game developer. We should be directing our anger at Bethesda for the 75% cut, not Valve.

@Victorious Secret have been saying this for a while Valve just wants your money. They don't care about gamers, they've never really have.

This is the stupidest thing they've done.

I hope the idiots behind this meant to do this and that this isn't an accident.

Cause there are other ways to support a modder.

LIKE A BLOODY DONATE BUTTON YOU JACKASSES.

Anyways, I'm bitter right now... Rockstar support is just as worthless as Valves...

This can be a good thing, it could help bring more talented people into modding, it could get companies to be more relaxed and open with their games so they're easier to mod, etc

But this is the internet and we need something to complain about so who cares about that stuff

ok guys just keep circlejerking and ignore my post about how it's actually bethesda at fault for that 75% cut...

I would personally rather release mods for free, with an option to donate. Sure, it would be nice to get some money for mods you make, but it's more for fun and possibly to create a portfolio, rather than actually making money off it. 

I moved away from Steam workshop a long time ago as it just doesn't work very well for me. 

ok guys just keep circlejerking and ignore my post about how it's actually bethesda at fault for that 75% cut...

I made a post 5minutes ago and nobody replied! People must be ignoring me!

LoL, look at the headline...

wouldn't be surprised, and unfortunately no one blames bathesda for doing it.

steam dont die i have invested a lot in steam