Ways to get money as a college student

league_of_stoners

I'm currently a computer science student taking my year 2 diploma. I'm living with my parents and I would like to move out.

But the thing is I don't have enough money to survive on my own outside. I don't have a source of income except the occasional part-time job that I worked during my semester breaks.

I want money to move out, upgrade my system (computers are super expensive here compared to the US, a gtx970 costs 1399 and we use the same 1 to 1 currency,

not like korea where 100 = 1 kind of thing) and just live a life of more freedom. 

What are the ways I can earn enough to live stably on my own outside? 

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502

-snip-

*Obligatory sell your body comment*

But seriously, can't you get like a small job like working in a supermarket?

Or just work in some computer shop or programming company of some sorts?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm currently a computer science student taking my year 2 diploma. I'm living with my parents and I would like to move out.

But the thing is I don't have enough money to survive on my own outside. I don't have a source of income except the occasional part-time job that I worked during my semester breaks.

I want money to move out, upgrade my system (computers are super expensive here compared to the US, a gtx970 costs 1399 and we use the same 1 to 1 currency,

not like korea where 100 = 1 kind of thing) and just live a life of more freedom. 

Start offering pc repair/building service.

Get a job in the evening i.e. Stocking shelves/ sales men.

I got a job, then when I could, I started my own company, now I have two co-workers and and business is going well. 

Get a job, or stay at home.

Honestly, if you can't afford it and don't have a job then moving out isn't an option. Period.

Some things in life you don't get no matter how badly you might want them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

College: Sell adderall

Just kidding. Learning how to fix simple computer things for non-techies can make you TONS of money. In high school I had all of my teachers and friends bringing in their old computers for me to fix, I was seen as a computer wizard because I knew how to uninstall bloatware, reinstall windows if needed, and install Adblock. Even though I told people they didn't have to pay me, I still got like $20-$50 every time

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Start offering pc repair/building service.

Get a job in the evening i.e. Stocking shelves/ sales men.

I'm known among my peers to be the 'PC builder guy' and everybody look for me when they are building their systems, but they expect me to part-pick them for free.

I've offered this service before but because I'm a friend, they expect me to do it for free. And even if they paid, I wouldn't have enough customers to pay rent

Core i5 4440  16GB DDR3 HyperX  Sapphire Nitro+ RX480  Asrock Z87M Pro 4  Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Blue 1TB x 2  FSP Hydro G+ 650W Samsung CF24G70 Logitech G610 G502

1399 Malaysian Ringgits = ~$385USD, or about the current MSRP of a GTX 970 in the US.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Just kidding. Learning how to fix simple computer things for non-techies can make you TONS of money. In high school I had all of my teachers and friends bringing in their old computers for me to fix, I was seen as a computer wizard because I knew how to uninstall bloatware, reinstall windows if needed, and install Adblock. Even though I told people they didn't have to pay me, I still got like $20-$50 every time

I always hated fixing other peoples computers. For 20 bucks it never seemed worth it to me. So now I have a company that sells computers. A lot easier. :P

Sell your body on the streets./s

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm just a user, as selling is death sentence here. I can if I wanted the quick money but I don't like living in fear. Using gave me enough fear.

I'm known among my peers to be the 'PC builder guy' and everybody look for me when they are building their systems, but they expect me to part-pick them for free.

I've offered this service before but because I'm a friend, they expect me to do it for free. And even if they paid, I wouldn't have enough customers to pay rent

Advertise mate, also get a side job or look for job offers in the IT field.

1399 Malaysian Ringgits = ~$385USD, or about the current MSRP of a GTX 970 in the US.

Imagine we earn the same, 8 unit of currency per hour, like $8/hr and stuff, but I have to work alot more to build a system while you can get a high-end around 800USD. 

High-end in my country = at least 2.5k

PS4 is like few hundred dollars there, here is 1.6k

I'm just a user, as selling is death sentence here. I can if I wanted the quick money but I don't like living in fear. Using gave me enough fear.

Sorry I didn't know :( in the US I've known a few friends who would just get a prescription and sell to people in college and make a free $400/mo since college kids can really use the concentration

If you're looking for steady income you pretty much have to find a job you can walk to somewhere before you move out, assuming you don't have a car

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Why not just do work study? I do that already + tutor + being a lab assistant at one of the local community colleges.

It's fair work for fair pay in my opinion. 

When I'm not doing anything I just usually work on my studies.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Sorry I didn't know :( in the US I've known a few friends who would just get a prescription and sell to people in college and make a free $400/mo since college kids can really use the concentration

If you're looking for steady income you pretty much have to find a job you can walk to somewhere before you move out, assuming you don't have a car

Fortunately, I have a car and alot of freedom! But I have a 12pm curfew at 20 years old and that's the main reason I wanted to move out, avoid curfew, and so that I can do whatever I want, like smoking at home

Why not just do work study? I do that already + tutor + being a lab assistant at one of the local community colleges.

It's fair work for fair pay in my opinion. 

When I'm not doing anything I just usually work on my studies.

Currently I'm helping people to discount summons/tickets. Like if the punishment is 150, i can discount to 100, but it's just a very small income

Currently I'm helping people to discount summons/tickets. Like if the punishment is 150, i can discount to 100, but it's just a very small income

Your school does not have student work options available? By two year degree, I'm assuming that is the equivalent of an associates degree here in the States?

If so, once you do that, you could find decent trade work. Look around, many companies hire people with 2 year degrees and provide on site training.

With something like a Computer Science degree you could find work in an factory automation field, or any job that requires computer control. Look around in the Telco industry. I had my first internship at a regional ISP.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Your school does not have student work options available? By two year degree, I'm assuming that is the equivalent of an associates degree here in the States?

If so, once you do that, you could find decent trade work. Look around, many companies hire people with 2 year degrees and provide on site training.

With something like a Computer Science degree you could find work in an factory automation field, or any job that requires computer control. Look around in the Telco industry. I had my first internship at a regional ISP.

Im year 2 diploma mate. Gonna start degree after my diploma. I hope I can work in the United States one day. I'm so passionate about computers and the US seems like a country with alot of computer enthusiasts. Just look at youtube unboxers and reviewers, 95% from US. US = geek heaven

Im year 2 diploma mate. Gonna start degree after my diploma. I hope I can work in the United States one day. I'm so passionate about computers and the US seems like a country with alot of computer enthusiasts. Just look at youtube unboxers and reviewers, 95% from US. US = geek heaven

A year 2 diploma is equivalent to an Associates Degree here in the US. An 4 year degree is the next level up being an Bachelors Degree.

I personally have two associates degrees in Mathematics and Interdisciplinary Sciences. I'm now working towards my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (and possibly getting a third associates in Physics).

Have you looked around for any jobs specific to your trade? Many companies are hiring IT interns in places from hospitals to chain stores to manage their point of sales equipment. 

Also:

Don't be disillusioned by all the people on youtube unboxing electronics and computer videos. 95% of them couldn't tell you the difference between an kernel or a null space (hint: there is no difference) (in programming involving actual linear algebra). I bet most wouldn't even be able to describe how a transistor works.

Making videos is one thing, actually knowing how things work is another thing. I hope you seek the latter rather than the former. 

Regardless of that, the US is great place for buying tech due to it's relatively low cost, but that shouldn't be your main focus. 

Finding a job, even if part time and you hate it is better than no job at all. It gives you experience and character. It also gives you something to put down on your resume.