What's up with Razer amirite?

So I just need to settle some stuff here.

Razer products are hated quite a lot throughout the PC community and I'd just like to know why?

As you can tell by my signature. I use a blackwidow 2014 and I really like it. It feels great to type on and is just an overall nice keyboard.

I do know that some of Razer's products are known for being weak, I understand that. But with products like the Blackwidow and other things I don't know what the issue is.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why Razer is such a a hated brand?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Chinese switches but costs the same as when they were legit ones
FirstPleasantGoldenretriever.gif

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Some say Razer products die faster and they are overpriced.

I agree with the overpriced stuff and I'm not sure on the die faster stuff.. I have used a Blackwidow at my friend's house and man I loved typing on that thing.

But for 120 euros, I would rather get something else. Something for like 80 euros.

And that's my opinion on Razer, there stuff looks neat (although a bit gamer-esque), works good, but why would I spend so much on it, when I can spend less and get something good too?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

-snip-

Brb, going to my friend's house to wiggle his keys :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Brb, going to my friend's house to wiggle his keys :P

press down kinda hard and slide side to side. IDK if it does it with oranges. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

For the same reason people apparently hate  Alienware. Razor makes good products but people tend to hate anything that has good marketing that a lot of people would buy. I've owned their products and didn't have a problem with them. Are there better products out there? Sometimes, yes. But If you like Razor, don't let people get to you. I use Alienware and everyone would jump on my case too. Enjoy it!

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

For the same reason people apparently hate  Alienware. Razor makes good products but people tend to hate anything that has good marketing that a lot of people would buy. I've owned their products and didn't have a problem with them. Are there better products out there? Sometimes, yes. But If you like Razor, don't let people get to you. I use Alienware and everyone would jump on my case too. Enjoy it!

I own both an Alienware laptop and a razer keyboard. The laptop i got used. The alienware is overpriced, and markets to its customers like they are idiots, but their laptops are actually pretty good. Desktops are laughable shit, but another story. I've own them as well. 

Razers keyboard are shit. Swapped switches on one of them and the PCB actually flakes and crumbles. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I have a blackwidow and think its great. However, I got it halfprice (60 instead of 120) and there is no way I would pay full price.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

I own both an Alienware laptop and a razer keyboard. The laptop i got used. The alienware is overpriced, and markets to its customers like they are idiots, but their laptops are actually pretty good. Desktops are laughable shit, but another story. I've own them as well. 

Razers keyboard are shit. Swapped switches on one of them and the PCB actually flakes and crumbles. 

But if someone has a good experience with the product, why are we bashing their decision? IDK, maybe I'm in the wrong. I tried some of Razor's products and didn't like some of them. Some of them I didn't mind. I just feel like some people could have a different experience. Alienware's cost more than they could if you made it yourself, but they are no more expensive than any other pre built system.

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

But if someone has a good experience with the product, why are we bashing their decision? IDK, maybe I'm in the wrong. I tried some of Razor's products and didn't like some of them. Some of them I didn't mind. I just feel like some people could have a different experience. Alienware's cost more than they could if you made it yourself, but they are no more expensive than any other pre built system.

Until recently, where now they have some compelling features, aliewnare laptops were overpriced compared to even other overpriced rebrand laptops. My hate for them started when they were a clevo rebrand that cost more for the lights and logo. They used to have the best feature of any laptop (mine has it) - video input- plug something into this second hdmi port and you can use the laptop's screen with it, be it another computer or an xbox. No one else except for 1 old clevo has this, and now that aliewnare did away with that, I'm really sad. If tablets had that or even smaller laptops that would kick ass. Now the GPU dock is pretty cool, but not enough to get me to buy another, especially considering the 13 has two dual core options and the point of the GPU dock for me is to have a thin laptops and it still be beast at home, I'd rather use thunderbolt on a mac book at that point. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Chinese switches but costs the same as when they were legit ones

I tried doing that with my keyboard and it didn't work. I must have gotten a good one.

I didn't actually buy it with actual money. I used store credit at a games shop.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

I tried doing that with my keyboard and it didn't work. I must have gotten a good one.

I didn't actually buy it with actual money. I used store credit at a games shop.

you have to press down pretty hard, you wont' notice it while typing AT ALL. I did that because the cherry keys don't do it, to demonstrate the difference int he strength of the plastic. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I see. I don't exactly mind. I din't actually have to fork over any of my money so I'm happy with what I got. I've never had a mechanical keyboard before so this is pretty awesome.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I don't like Razer simply based on build quality alone. The only product I would recommend that they make is the Deathadder and with an extended warranty at that. The keyboards are what really bother me - Kailh switches for $120? Really?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I don't like Razer simply based on build quality alone. The only product I would recommend that they make is the Deathadder and with an extended warranty at that. The keyboards are what really bother me - Kailh switches for $120? Really?

Trust me I would've gone with something else if i had the option to. My selection was defined only to what the store had. and I couldn't get it online because I was using store credit. The keyboard still feels good though. The only problem I've been having with it so far is that the finish around the keys gets fingerprints on it very easily.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Trust me I would've gone with something else if i had the option to. My selection was defined only to what the store had. and I couldn't get it online because I was using store credit. The keyboard still feels good though. The only problem I've been having with it so far is that the finish around the keys gets fingerprints on it very easily.

That's pretty normal for keycaps that come with keyboards. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It's not the keycaps, it's the rest of the keyboard that smudges easy.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

I had to RMA my DeathAdder 2013 because the mouse wheel started squeaking. I encountered numerous issues with Synapse 2.0, including random double-clicking (Razer doesn't seem to care enough to fix such issues). And my Goliathus Omega S slides around on my desk a lot, although this may just be a result of its compact form factor.

I didn't have any knowledge of Razer or their reputation at the time of my purchase. All I knew is that the DeathAdder was supposed to be great. The drivers especially have ruined the experience for me and caused me to develop a distaste for Razer. With other options out there, it doesn't make sense to buy another Razer product personally.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE