Is it ok to pirate game to see how well it runs and then purchase it ?

bydus

I'm wondering since there are no demos nowadays like there used to be isn't that sorta a buyers assurance if the product is good? I just bought GTA 5 cause it runs amazingly on PC. 

Pirating is bad, hence the name. Just because you plan to buy it later makes no difference whatsoever, it is still pirating.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

I'm wondering since there are no demos nowadays like there used to be isn't that sorta a buyers assurance if the product is good? I just bought GTA 5 cause it runs amazingly on PC. 

It stays illegal, but I think it's fair if you just see how good the port is. Because nowadays it's not sure enough.

*Cough* Ubisoft *Cough*

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

since no one mention

it is bad.. but for whom?
for company yes.

for you? if that's make you feel better before take decision to buy, yeah why not.

it's not like every game has demo... even demo nowdays often misleading.

But ... usually watching footage/review from youtube is sometimes enough.

Piracy is piracy. If you wan't to find out how a game runs you can use one of the greatest tools ever, Google. 99% of the time someone with a similar setup will have purchased it and either uploaded a video to YouTube or made a forum post somewhere talking about their performance. I ALWAYS wait until someone with specs similar to mine benchmark the game if I am worried about its performance.

I think its smart thing to do. No point in buying new game that could run badly on your pc. If you are planning to buy it anyway no1 gets hurt.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

Thank god for torrents. Assassins Creed Unity when it came out on PC it was a fucking £49.99. If I bought that game on release day I'd go apeshit. I torrented the game and saw how bad it was. I then applied the patches they have been working on and I still think it's crap. I have played max 1 hour (mostly trying to fix it) so yea. Sometimes when I recall the games I torrented but haven't bought, I buy them on Steam again. Torrenting is not a bad thing. RELOADED usually says- "If you like the game, buy it!" I stick to this way of thinking.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Thank god for torrents. Assassins Creed Unity when it came out on PC it was a fucking £49.99. If I bought that game on release day I'd go apeshit. I torrented the game and saw how bad it was. I then applied the patches they have been working on and I still think it's crap. I have played max 1 hour (mostly trying to fix it) so yea. Sometimes when I recall the games I torrented but haven't bought, I buy them on Steam again. Torrenting is not a bad thing. RELOADED usually says- "If you like the game, buy it!" I stick to this way of thinking.

I had the same with AC:U played maybe max 2hrs and my god what a shitty port that is. 

No

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Legally, it is bad. Morally? Not so much. So long as you delete it after testing to see if you like it. 

From my POV it is absolutely fine :)

From legal stand point, pirating is not fine on any level.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I agree with the best answer. A good example of how companies don't give a demo is with Rainbow Six Siege. They are offering a beta only if you buy the game. What crap is that?

| Intel 5820K OC'd 4.6Ghz (Swifttech H320 X2) | Asus x99 Deluxe w/ USB 3.1 | 32GB Corsair DDR4 Ram | 2 Nvidia GTX 980ti Classified's | 250gb Samsung EVO SSD OS Drive | 128GB Samsung SSD Cache Drive | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 2TB & 4TB Western Digital HDD | Corsair K70 Keyboard | Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 | ASUS 27" ROG Swift

From my POV it is absolutely fine :)

From legal stand point, pirating is not fine on any level.

I get what you mean, but if you pay the full price you get the full finished game, yes? In most cases, no. It should be a legal requirement to make the game run properly in the first place- I'm not talking about little bugs and glitches, that's acceptable. Imagine buying a car for £20,000 and then, week after you bought it, it had to go back to the dealership for a month long engine tuning! xD

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Nothing bad about it. That's what you get if the manufacturers don't make proper demos.

I am not bothered about keeping a pirated copy if the official one has DRM that bothers me in any way (like GTA4's constant nagging about the DVD having to be in the tray, or the requirement of Origin for just about every EA game)

wouldn't steal a car to text drive it..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

It's ok, as long as you didn't run around the forum and shitting on the game because it has a bug/glitch due to pirating

Plus you can actually test the game before buying it like

Me download GTA V -> me pirate the game -> me push the setting to exceed 2GB Vram without dropping FPS lower than 45 -> me buy GTA V after a week and delete the pirated version

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

wouldn't steal a car to text drive it..

You also wouldn't purchase a car without test driving it :P.

CPU Intel i7 8700k | Motherboard ASUS Z370-E | RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB(8x 2GB) | GPU Asus Strix 1080ti | Case Corsair 570X | Storage Samsung 960 NVME M.2, Intel 530 240GB ssd, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Corsair AX1200iCooling XSPC Photon 270 reservoir, D5 pump, Raystorm cpu block, and an EX360 rad | Keyboard Corsair k70 rgb | MousLogitech Proteus Spectrum rgb

Pirating doesn't help anyone, it's the reason why publishers like ea and ubisoft push out pc games that run like garbage or have features that ruin the experience.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

No it is not in my opinion. The developers spent many hours making the game. If you want to know how the game runs, check out benchmarks. If you want to try the game to see if you like it, try out a demo if there is one, try it at a friends house or simply wait for the price to come down.

The difference between an illegal download for testing purposes and a physical theft is, in my opinion, that there is no victim with the caveat that those who deem the product worth using then go on to purchase it.

It's self-inflicted, developers are too restrictive, they should endeavor to provide means by which the consumer can test the product prior to committing a full £40 or however much it costs.

The simple and contemptible reason we don't have many demos anymore is because the big mega-publishers base so much of their business models today on blind pre-order and day one sales. Many of these games wouldn't sell on merit alone. It's the same reason Ubisoft will keep a review embargo in place for twelve hours after their game goes on sale. It's the same reason they all push the pre-orders so, so hard.

So no, personally, if you honestly plan on buying the games I wouldn't condemn you for doing this, though having the patience to wait for reviews and benchmarks to come out would be much better. But I can at least understand the reason why it sounds like a good idea.

I'll add that EA gets a lot of shit for holding demo events and calling them "beta events," but at least they do them. I'm pretty appreciative that they let me try out a $59.99 game before spending any money, and that they're confident enough in their product that they think it won't hurt their sales to let us play it.

2 years to port? fuck yeah pirate it... i did until my friend bought my a copy