Will nVidia drop their prices after R3XX series launch?

whitedragon101

When nVidia launched maxwell 970 and 980 AMD nosedived their prices in response until you can now pick up a 290x flagship card for the same price as a 970.

Is their any chance nVidia will do this if when AMD launch the R300 series?

If nVidia drop the price of the 980 like AMD did with the 290x this could be a real win.  

ps

Of course you could just buy the new AMD cards but I am not sure about their drivers (single and crossfire) but I can't tell if bad driver support is rumour or reality.  If someone has a link to a proper article on this post it in.

we wont know until amd releases them

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

only if the 300 series cards have a lot better price/performance

if they cost the same as nvidia GPUs and perform about the same then there will be no pricing changes

if they perform the same and cost half the price, or cost the same and perform twice as well, then you might see nvidia drop their prices

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Will we ever know the future?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Depends, the 3xx series might be expensive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It depends because the R9 2xx series was released late 2013 and is almost 2 years old. Whereas the GTX 900 series was released just over 6 months ago, meaning that AMD may have to release a budget GPU that is identical in performance to the GTX 980. Much like the GTX 970 and R9 290X which may be possible if some rumours are true which claim that AMD's new lineup will consist of GPU's built the 20nm node and will contain HBM (High Bandwidth Memory)

I guess we can only hope :)

Depends, the 3xx series might be expensive

£600/700 for the UK if it's rumoured to be $799 for the US. Hopefully it will be the same as the R9 290X  for the 390X :)

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Hmmm yes no-one knows the future but some have excellent knowledge of the past.  Perhaps some rephrasing to get some info from those people.

Have nVidia ever dropped prices after launch of a card as a result of a competing product from AMD?

£600/700 for the UK if it's rumoured to be $799 for the US. Hopefully it will be the same as the R9 290X  for the 390X :)

Wait a minute.....  you know if its $700 its going to be £700 too right?  in electronics there is no such thing as an exchange rate for Britain.... 

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

They already did.

Compare Maxwell prices with Kepler.  7xx cards are still very expensive even when refurbished considering how their performance compares to AMD or Maxwell.

Have nVidia ever dropped prices after launch of a card as a result of a competing product from AMD?

They did it with the 960 not that long ago.  And the 970 after AMD dropped the price of the 290.

Also:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gtx-780-price-drop,24886.html

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Wait a minute.....  you know if its $700 its going to be £700 too right?  in electronics there is no such thing as an exchange rate for Britain.... 

Not quite.  The USA gets graphics cards cheaper but its not usually dollars = pounds cheaper

eg

Amazon 

MSI 970 UK = £272

MSI 970 US = £250 / £267inc sales tax ( $374 pre tax + average 7% tax)

UK = +1% more , not too bad

MSI 980 UK = £454

MSI 980 US = £374 / £400inc sales tax ( $560 pre tax + average 7% tax)

UK = +13% more  , yep that one stings a bit

They already did.

Compare Maxwell prices with Kepler.  7xx cards are still very expensive even when refurbished considering how their performance compares to AMD or Maxwell.

They did it with the 960 not that long ago.  And the 970 after AMD dropped the price of the 290.

Also:

Good find.  So there is precedent for this :)

What Whitedragon said, there is not a MASSIVE difference but there is. You know that the electronic world isn't Steam right?

They already did.

Also:

Nvidia hasn't dropped the price on any 900 series card in response to anything AMD has done. The GTX 970 is pretty much still at its launch price.

But they've done it in the past, for sure.

When nVidia launched maxwell 970 and 980 AMD nosedived their prices in response until you can now pick up a 290x flagship card for the same price as a 970.

Is their any chance nVidia will do this if when AMD launch the R300 series?

If nVidia drop the price of the 980 like AMD did with the 290x this could be a real win.  

ps

Of course you could just buy the new AMD cards but I am not sure about their drivers (single and crossfire) but I can't tell if bad driver support is rumour or reality.  If someone has a link to a proper article on this post it in.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a big price drop on the 980 and especially not the 970. AMD was forced to slash prices because of the GTX 970 offering R9 290x performance for $170 less. The R9 390 sounds like it will smash the GTX 980, but it's also rumored to cost $150 more. I would guess you might see the 980 drop to $500, but I doubt you'll see it drop $150+ like the 290 and 290x did until Nvidia's next 80 series card launch.

Not quite.  The USA gets graphics cards cheaper but its not usually dollars = pounds cheaper

eg

Amazon 

MSI 970 UK = £272

MSI 970 US = £250 / £267inc sales tax ( $374 pre tax + average 7% tax)

UK = +1% more , not too bad

MSI 980 UK = £454

MSI 980 US = £374 / £400inc sales tax ( $560 pre tax + average 7% tax)

UK = +13% more  , yep that one stings a bit

Check out the Asus AC3200

http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/asus-rt-ac3200-tri-band-wireless-gigabit-router/ -  £319

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-ac3200-tri-band-wireless-gigabit-router/ -  $295

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

Nvidia hasn't dropped the price on any 900 series card in response to anything AMD has done. The GTX 970 is pretty much still at its launch price.

But they've done it in the past, for sure.

960 was $240ish for aftermarket brands, got dropped to $200.

970 was $400, closer to $350 now.

960 was $240ish for aftermarket brands, got dropped to $200.

970 was $400, closer to $350 now.

The GTX 960 launched at $200, the GTX 970 launched at $330.

No, Nvidia are rather stingy as it were. GTX 7XX is proof.

The GTX 960 launched at $200, the GTX 970 launched at $330.

I must be confusing the goofy CAD exchange rates then.

At one point a 280x was $200 CAD and a 960 was $249.

Oh it definitely happens with some products.  I was just saying for graphics cards (at least at the 970 980 level) it hasn't been the case recently.  I was going to buy some expensive PC bits in the states last year but it worked out not to be not greatly different. For a 5% difference I thought I'd stick with a UK warranty.  If the difference hits 20% then its time to start buying my graphics cards in the states.

If you fly to one of the magical tax free states then its definitely worth buying in the US.