Experiences with non-techies

Ok, so another story:

So I'm at a summer camp and there's this kid that says he has amazing computers and computer parts and computer accessories and stuff but my friend and I all know that half the stuff he makes up and that the stuff he doesn't make up he knows next to nothing about.

So apparently he has two 1080s in sli... Yeah.... And 3 4K monitors.... And he's still a teen.... Of course, I'm not sure it's true but either way he's either super spoiled or just trying to get attention (which is failing horribly). When I asked him what 1080s he had, he had no idea (lol wut). I asked him if he had a founders edition. He said he didn't. I asked him which one he said. He said he had the standard one, which I assume is the founders edition..... 

My friend and I also asked him what CPU he said. He said i7. We asked which one. He said i7 quad core.... I told him there are like 30 i7 quad cores. Through logical deduction I figured out he had a 4790k. But still.....

He also said his CPU had a 1.43 something times overclock.... Which would mean his CPU would be like 5.5 ghz... Which is impossible.

We also said he had a razer blade pro with a 970m and that it was VR ready. I told him the 970m isn't VR ready. He said it had a 980m, which I said was impossible (which was my mistake). But yeah.... You get the point.

If I think of anything else he says that's stupid or he says anything else stupid I'll post it here. That's all I can think of for now!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you know what I mean... It's a "prius" in name only.

yeah well, I like getting into specifics :P 

7 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Why does it say Corolla and also Prius on it?

I'm not sure, I think Corolla Mie is just a tuning company.

3 minutes ago, RahulR said:

I'm not sure, I think Corolla Mie is just a tuning company.

That's some tuning job!  Can they tune a 200 MHz Pentium into a OCed 5960x? xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's some tuning job!  Can they tune a 200 MHz Pentium into a OCed 5960x? xD 

Not that kind of tuning xD 

I dont know what to call this but its just hilarious to think back to what he said! So me and my friend are 13 and we walk into a best buy and find the most expensive "Gaming PC" and price it out on Amazon to see there difference between if we bought it from Best Buy and built it ourselves..... So when we are done the PC comes to around 1300 while the PC at the store is about 1700. A "Geek-Squad" member comes over and asked what we needed help with and such so we told him what we were doing. He then proceeds to say "Oh you forgot about the Bluetooth and Wifi card." We then proceed to ask him if he contains one his response was "No but other models do!" Bruh. We look up the model number and of course it does not just tried to make it look like the pre-built PC was a better deal xD

This topic is hilarious but all the crazy things some people do/say make my head hurt.  lol

There's so much I don't know about computers so in some ways I suppose it's slightly hypocritical to judge people but it's scary how ridiculous so many people can be.  ?

My Mom takes tutition for little kids. There is this 12 year who comes and shows off a lot (I have 6 iphones 6s at home). So one he starts to say.

I have there every good hp desktop and i put a graphics card in it. IT is top notch it will beat ur pc (i5-6500 and r9 380) 

I asked him which gpu and he says i dont know. Through questioning i realized it is a 750 ti.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

21 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

My Mom takes tutition for little kids. There is this 12 year who comes and shows off a lot (I have 6 iphones 6s at home). So one he starts to say.

I have there every good hp desktop and i put a graphics card in it. IT is top notch it will beat ur pc (i5-6500 and r9 380) 

I asked him which gpu and he says i dont know. Through questioning i realized it is a 750 ti.

In the game of fairness, for the 750 ti being what it is, it still can keep up with a 380 pretty damn well. But top notch?.... ehhhhh.... lol

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

2 minutes ago, derick90 said:

In the game of fairness, for the 750 ti being what it is, it still can keep up with a 380 pretty damn well. But top notch?.... ehhhhh.... lol

Keep up with a R9 380? No.

Play games at decent setting and framerate? Yes

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

for the 750 ti being what it is, it still can keep up with a 380

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

2 minutes ago, derick90 said:

It cannot keep up with a R9 380, a car driving at 80km/h is driving slower than a car doing 110km/h. "For what it is" doesn't change the meanng, it might preform quite close to a R9 380 but it is not as fast as a R9 380.

Anyway the 750ti preforms similarly to a R7 260x, the R7 265, R9 270, R9 270x and R9 280 preform closer to a 750ti even though they are tiers above the 750ti, it is liking saying a Ford Focus will be just as fast as a Bugetti Veyron.

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It cannot keep up with a R9 380, a car driving at 80km/h is driving slower than a car doing 110km/h. "For what it is" doesn't change the meanng, it might preform quite close to a R9 380 but it is not as fast as a R9 380.

Anyway the 750ti preforms similarly to a R7 260x, the R7 265, R9 270, R9 270x and R9 280 preform closer to a 750ti even though they are tiers above the 750ti, it is liking saying a Ford Focus will be just as fast as a Bugetti Veyron.

Lol comparing a 380 to a Veyron, cute, more like a focus and a..... fusion???

Also nowhere did i say they were comparable, but i said its not an awful card. But allow me to clarify... A 750ti is still a good card capable of playing all but the most demanding games on high/ultra settings.

Jesus you AMD fanboys get irritated fast... 

I would explain further but i have neither the crayons nor the patients.

Your comparison is more akin to a 380 vs a 1080 <3

HeadsetLogitech G430  

a GTX 750Ti is not in the same performance bracket as a R9 380. (is this a DX12 game? it looks a bit wierd to see a gtx 960 so far behind a r9 380. btw just pulled this from google)gtx-950-shadow-of-mordor-100608933-orig.

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

17 minutes ago, derick90 said:

Lol comparing a 380 to a Veyron, cute, more like a focus and a..... fusion???

it is a simile, anyway i didn't directly compare a R9 380 with a Veyron, anyway i don't know what a fission is, they are not in Australia (Not saying that Veyrons are but lots of people under 30 know what they are). i could have compared a Ford Falcon to a TS50 (@dan_castellaneta) but i didn't since they don't exist in Countries other than Australia and New Zealand, so they are not relevant to others.

Talking to friend who doesn't have a clue about his PC that he built that I reccomended for him... 

Me: "How's your computer bro?"

Friend: "It's fine, my motherboard has 2 bad RAM slots."

Me: "You should probably RMA it and get that fixed now:

Friend: "Nah fam" (He actually replied with that)

Two months later...

Friend: "Hey, my computer keeps freezing, even at the Windows install screen"

Friend: (20 minutes later) "Now my computer doesn't boot"

Me: (After discussing on the LTT Forum) "So... about that RMA..."

Friend: "I should've just went with ASUS and Nvidia, MSI is garbage"

On a side note, after 2 days of owning the PC he figured out that he was using the iGPU instead of his 390. I feel like he does it on purpose, but honestly...

Spoiler

3 hours ago, MilkJugg24 said:

Talking to friend who doesn't have a clue about his PC that he built that I reccomended for him... 

Me: "How's your computer bro?"

Friend: "It's fine, my motherboard has 2 bad RAM slots."

Me: "You should probably RMA it and get that fixed now:

Friend: "Nah fam" (He actually replied with that)

Two months later...

Friend: "Hey, my computer keeps freezing, even at the Windows install screen"

Friend: (20 minutes later) "Now my computer doesn't boot"

Me: (After discussing on the LTT Forum) "So... about that RMA..."

Friend: "I should've just went with ASUS and Nvidia, MSI is garbage"

On a side note, after 2 days of owning the PC he figured out that he was using the iGPU instead of his 390. I feel like he does it on purpose, but honestly...

oh goodness. that's just great. I had a friend who, after I built my PC kept asking me for advice on what to get, and then awhile later I go to his house and 

me: Did you get that pc built?

him: Yup here it is.

me: did you follow my advice?

him: nah, we paid someone to build it for me

me:

Yeah it was literally the opposite of what I recommended to him

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

5 hours ago, derick90 said:

No it can't ... the 750ti is a nice budget card, but depending on the settings the 380 can get double the FPS!

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1591?vs=1662

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-380-vs-Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti/3482vs2187

Saying the 750ti can keep up with the 380 is like saying the HD7970 can keep up damn well with the GTX 980 ... both the 750ti and 7970 are old generation of GPUs that can still give you nice performance, but they are not keeping up with current gen GPUs.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Oh no this was inevitable... and I can't moderate this thread because I'm an active poster :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

45 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh no this was inevitable... and I can't moderate this thread because I'm an active poster :P

lol Nvidia vs AMD at some point it destroys everything :D.  

The 750ti is nowhere near the 380, but I think that its not what he meant.

I got a story of a "smart" friend of mine:

We were talking about PS4 vs PC (he wants to get a PC and has a PS4) Lets call him "Jesse"

Me: soo whats your budget for the PC?

Jesse: 400-500€

Me: ok, what are you going to use it for?

Jesse: Twitch streaming, nothing else

Me: if you are going to get a PC, then why dont you play with it too?

Jesse: Because my PS4 can run games better.

Me: No, you can get a more powerful pc at the price of a PS4.

Jesse knows im a techie and doesnt argue.

Jesse: But PS4 games are a lot cheaper than PC games. And the exclusives!

Me: *tries to explain that PC games are cheaper and PC has a lot more exclusives*

Jesse: But I can connect my PS4 to a TV!

Me: You can connect a PC to a TV too..... and several monitors...

And you have to pay to play online with the PS4...

Jesse: But the controller!

Me: you can use a controller on a PC too.

Jesse: Man, theres all those drivers and shit, I dont know how to update those.

Me: You can put it to do it automatically. (dont remember if you can in Geforce Experience tho)

I cant remember what he said after that, but he still kept arguing.

TL:DR friend thinks PS4 is superior to pc in every way.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

2 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

*snip*

Sounds to me like he was accepting all your claims and just moving on after every point.  Probably just has a lot of misconceptions that need correcting.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of console users are the same.  Difference is, some will be willing to learn, and some will argue to the death xD 

3 hours ago, brune67 said:

oh goodness. that's just great. I had a friend who, after I built my PC kept asking me for advice on what to get, and then awhile later I go to his house and 

me: Did you get that pc built?

him: Yup here it is.

me: did you follow my advice?

him: nah, we paid someone to build it for me

me:

Yeah it was literally the opposite of what I recommended to him

That sounds just like my other friend. I had a build ready with a 4790K and dual 980ti's and he went with an Alienware X51 because he got have a student discount for $500 off. Which made the damn thing cost only $2500 for an 4690 and a 970 in a tiny non-ventilating case..

His reason... "It has an alien on the front. So it has to be good." I shit you not, I think he says that just to piss me off. 

He makes like $24 bucks an hour so I basically shame him, and he's used to it. He thoroughly regrets his decisions every time he gets a new game. It's great.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Honestly not trying to start a flame war, I think that for a brand new GPU < $100 USD, the 750ti is pretty much THE video card to get. And I've owned Red and Green cards throughout the years (and still have both at home right now). I'm not a fan of either, I rather side with my wallet (relative performance for the budget I have).

That being said, the 750ti is competing on the budget side, and if it was only around 15-20% slower than a 380 then I would agree with his statement, but it's not. Again, the 750ti is a great card, but it's not competing in the same bracket as the 380.

1 hour ago, henkka_scorpio said:

lol Nvidia vs AMD at some point it destroys everything :D.  

The 750ti is nowhere near the 380, but I think that its not what he meant.

If it wasn't the point then I'd like to know what he ment (he did literally say; " it still can keep up with a 380 pretty damn well. ").

Honestly not trolling, if he wasn't talking performance, I am genuinely interested in knowing what he meant by that!

So lets try to keep it civil! :)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !