Experiences with non-techies

i just remembered this!

back last time when my cousins where visiting, their dad, (my uncle/brother) looked at steam and asked what it was. 

whats that?

steam.

whats steam?

its sort of a launcher for you games library, also a community platform and a place to buy said games.

its a launcher?

yeah kinda.

so you're hacking your games? 

when did that come to be something commonly assumed? 

BTW he's a gamer. xbox and pc since the early 2000's. not hardcore, but he does do it. 

Dunno what you're chattin'. Flawless logic right dere.

-snip-

found a solution... instead of using "//" use "break" (without "")

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Ceatra and Burgerbum...off-topic a little bit. Mind taking it to a private chat?

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

A friend of my father called my phone:

She - I bought 3 desktops,  a router and a internet service. 2 desktops doesn't connect to the internet!

Me - did you plug the router in the power-line?

She -Yes.

Me - And the cable from the internet company? 

She - In my computer, of course!

Me - Plug this cable in the router.

She - No way! I paid for it!

I asked her to call the internet company... That's not my problem ,obviously!

i just remembered this!

back last time when my cousins where visiting, their dad, (my uncle/brother) looked at steam and asked what it was. 

whats that?

steam.

whats steam?

its sort of a launcher for you games library, also a community platform and a place to buy said games.

its a launcher?

yeah kinda.

so you're hacking your games? 

when did that come to be something commonly assumed? 

BTW he's a gamer. xbox and pc since the early 2000's. not hardcore, but he does do it. 

a friend got the same idea.

- A game without console? what are you going to hack next? 

I am no techie by any degree. I'm actually a lawyer but as a gamer I know a lot more about computers than many of the older partners in my firm. Our managing partner, a great man who is virtually useless on a computer, uses me as an impromptu IT guy to help with difficult issues like changing his Outlook signature, changing his font, or mass copy and pasting. But the best was years ago when he called me into his office, gestured at his computer, and said, "How do I turn this off?"

I am no techie by any degree. I'm actually a lawyer but as a gamer I know a lot more about computers than many of the older partners in my firm. Our managing partner, a great man who is virtually useless on a computer, uses me as an impromptu IT guy to help with difficult issues like changing his Outlook signature, changing his font, or mass copy and pasting. But the best was years ago when he called me into his office, gestured at his computer, and said, "How do I turn this off?"

It's better than being asked "How do you turn this on?"

It's better than being asked "How do you turn this on?"

people today think that everything has battery and come to me saying that its broke! or everything has a WiFi. quite annoying. 

Speaking of lawyers who are useless on computers, another thing I just remembered: I had just joined the firm eight years ago, it was my first day, and my computer wasn't working. Our prior managing partner at our firm (who tragically passed away five years ago) came by my office, poked his head in, and said, "How are things going?"

I said, "other than my computer not working, fine."

"What do you need your computer for?" he asked.

"Uh... to type." I responded.

And he grinned at me and said in his gentle East Texas accent, "Son, real lawyers don't type. Real lawyers dictate." He then smiled broadly, turned around, and walked off, and I realized he was being facetious. He then had the IT guy come by my office to fix my machine.

He was a funny guy (I'll never forget the day he took me out to lunch and, the whole time, made Saturday Night Live impersonations). And he was also useless on a computer. I miss that man.

Speaking of lawyers who are useless on computers, another thing I just remembered: I had just joined the firm eight years ago, it was my first day, and my computer wasn't working. Our prior managing partner at our firm (who tragically passed away five years ago) came by my office, poked his head in, and said, "How are things going?"

I said, "other than my computer not working, fine."

"What do you need your computer for?" he asked.

"Uh... to type." I responded.

And he grinned at me and said in his gentle East Texas accent, "Son, real lawyers don't type. Real lawyers dictate." He then smiled broadly, turned around, and walked off, and I realized he was being facetious. He then had the IT guy come by my office to fix my machine.

He was a funny guy (I'll never forget the day he took me out to lunch and, the whole time, made Saturday Night Live impersonations). And he was also useless on a computer. I miss that man.

My dad would say the same thing when I tell him to learn to type with more than just his 2 index fingers.

A friend of my father called my phone:

She - I bought 3 desktops,  a router and a internet service. 2 desktops doesn't connect to the internet!

Me - did you plug the router in the power-line?

She -Yes.

Me - And the cable from the internet company? 

She - In my computer, of course!

Me - Plug this cable in the router.

She - No way! I paid for it!

I asked her to call the internet company... That's not my problem ,obviously!

I don't understand....  :mellow:

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

whats that?

steam.

whats steam?

its a launcher?

yeah kinda.

The logic is there, it could've been better explained.

Ceatra and Burgerbum...off-topic a little bit. Mind taking it to a private chat?

I would actually tell them to stat a new thread, like this everyone can enjoy those fake virus and any back and forth would be welcomed! ;)

ON-TOPIC ;

in a job I had years ago (not tech related) I had to help a coworker; he couldn't figure out how to "make a new line" in the email he was trying to send ... yeah he had no idea he had to just press "enter" even though he had to send a few email a week! The poor guy was really clueless, I remember him having trouble figuring out printer issues, like jams and simple "out of paper"! He also couldn't do his job correctly in any way, though because of cuts and too many changes in managers he was able to keep his job for 3-4 years, WAY too long! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Everytime I open CMD, everybody is like "F*ck you hacker!"

I just use ipconfig /all that's all, everybody is pissed off :3

OH, to add this, one more thing....

Put netstat or netstat -a instead, everyone thinks I'm really hacking.....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

What is this 1k 2k crap? Is it some technical gibberish new techies are trying to say. Just to make them look like, they know what they're talking about? Well does not, it just make them look stupid.

Got a 1080 screen, then just say 1080. 1440? Say the whole resolution 2560x1440 dang nabbit. And that all monitors supports progressive scan, so no point of saying p at the end of every number. Your monitor has a p,so does my monitor and everyone else's monitor. So stop b with p crap, double dang nabbit.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

What is this 1k 2k crap? Is it some technical gibberish new techies are trying to say. Just to make them look like, they know what they're talking about? Well does not, it just make them look stupid.

Got a 1080 screen, then just say 1080. 1440? Say the whole resolution 2560x1440 dang nabbit. And that all monitors supports progressive scan, so no point of saying p at the end of every number. Your monitor has a p,so does my monitor and everyone else's monitor. So stop b with p crap, double dang nabbit.

lol 1k isn't even a term for a resolution

the closest to it is 1366x768 iirc

2k is 2048x1152 iirc

Sometimes it's easier to say "4k" or "5k" rather than 3840x2160 or 5120x2880. It's a mouthful.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

OH, to add this, one more thing....

Put netstat or netstat -a instead, everyone thinks I'm really hacking.....

When I put netstat -a in the CMD, and the list of connections show up, what's the difference between "established" and "listening"?

When I put netstat -a in the CMD, and the list of connections show up, what's the difference between "established" and "listening"?

Established, that thingy is connected to the net. Possible sign of malware if a process that isn't suppose to connect is, connected to the net. Need to look at pid to see what processes is it. See established pid, but don't see pid process , your rig is 110% infected.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I have seen some person using the horizontal resolution instead of vertical resolution for saying the monitor resolution, like instead of saying 1080p, the subject is saying "1920p"... And this was on Twitch chat (with only 7 people in the chat, so stupidity shouldn't be big, right?). Their response: "1920p... 1080p... Same thing. I prefer 1920p"

And I know one should not expect intelligence to be found on Twitch chat.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

lol 1k isn't even a term for a resolution

the closest to it is 1366x768 iirc

2k is 2048x1152 iirc

Sometimes it's easier to say "4k" or "5k" rather than 3840x2160 or 5120x2880. It's a mouthful.

actually 2k is 2048x1080

also 5k (or 2.5k for that matter) doesn't exist.

all those "nk" resolutions come from the movie industries when they started to scan 35mm.

interesting read ;

http://www.edcf.net/edcf_docs/DCI%20and%20OTHER%20Film%20Formats.pdf

actually 2k is 2048x1080

also 5k (or 2.5k for that matter) doesn't exist.

all those "nk" resolutions come from the movie industries when they started to scan 35mm.

interesting read ;

http://www.edcf.net/edcf_docs/DCI%20and%20OTHER%20Film%20Formats.pdf

I will never understand why people refer to 5K as 5120x2880 then :P

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I will never understand why people refer to 5K as 5120x2880 then :P

same here, I don't understand the 2.5k either, people easily get confused by new terms in tech and most won't look into reasons for the naming (like how most people don't know Wi-Fi meands Wireless-Fidelity and was coined to "look and sound like" Hi-Fi for High-Fidelity)

same with 720p-1080p that refers to the vertical resolution while 2k and 4k refer to the horizontal resolution (2k = 2048, 4k=4096). People get these mixed up ALL the time!

Established, that thingy is connected to the net. Possible sign of malware if a process that isn't suppose to connect is, connected to the net. Need to look at pid to see what processes is it. See established pid, but don't see pid process , your rig is 110% infected.

So I have:

- 16 listening

- 36 established

- 4 TIME_WAIT

- 6 CLOSE_WAIT

Most of them are localhost, some of them are servers (most of them google servers), and others are just IP-s...

And wtf is PID? I can't find that.