Experiences with non-techies

A )  I can not see Tablets having anywhere near the same amount of power and capability and desktops/laptops for a long long time. 

B )  "You simply don't need desktops any more" Now no offence to you, but how could you even begin to defend a statement like that? Not only is it misleading and downright untrue, it's ridiculously hypocritical. Unless they shoot, edit, render and upload their content on a tablet, they are using Desktops... Video editing, Picture editing, Animation, Design, Coding, Programming, Gaming, The software used to run these "Desktop Killers" is made by people using.. That's right, Desktops...  Yes, you can find a device to do each of those things, maybe a couple of those things. But I challenge you to find me a tablet that can do all of that, and play fully modded Skyrim at a steady 50fps.

C ) Until then Desktops are king. And the Gadget Show is full of absolute shit.

D ) I do respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it

A ) Yes laptops will NOT have the power of desktops, but does Joe average want lots of power?  As long as it will stream YouTube and/or Netflix whilst writing e-mails they are 'happy'.

B ) Note the NEED and YOU words , most people do not do video editing, rendering WHY . As for playing games most can not even spell Skyrim let alone mod it then play it at 50fps

I am not saying Desktops are obsolete just that MOST have no need for all that power, gamers and/or enthusiasts not withstanding.

C ) I would not say the Gadget show is "full of shit", guilty of hyperbole almost certainly but "full of shit", nah.

D ) And I yours (Boring world if we were all the same etc)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

A ) Yes laptops will NOT have the power of desktops, but does Joe average want lots of power?  As long as it will stream YouTube and/or Netflix whilst writing e-mails they are 'happy'.

B ) Note the NEED and YOU words , most people do not do video editing, rendering WHY . As for playing games most can not even spell Skyrim let alone mod it then play it at 50fps

I am not saying Desktops are obsolete just that MOST have no need for all that power, gamers and/or enthusiasts not withstanding.

C ) I would not say the Gadget show is "full of shit", guilty of hyperbole almost certainly but "full of shit", nah.

D ) And I yours (Boring world if we were all the same etc)

Yeah I would agree with you there. Most people wouldn't need a Desktop for day to day tasks. 

I do still feel the show itself is incredibly uninformative, yes I'm aware they aren't exactly a review show, but a lot of the information they give about the items they show, you could find on the TV advert.. Which by the way is even worse advertising. But that's another story. 

I do enjoy a civil and adult discussion, it makes such a refreshing change to constantly reading flame wars between brands that are just as bad as the other most of the time lol

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Just as an aside isn't Polyanna a nice piece of eye candy?

maxresdefault.jpg

With dress on .

With the cast of (one of the versions) of the Gadget show Suzi Perry wearing trousers .

"This too shall pass"

Just another "Wow I just read through all of the posts!" post coming through... Ehh, I have a quick story.

A friend of mine kept bragging how beast of a computer it is, since his dad built it for him. At the time I was running on a Dell XPS 8300 my parents bought for me (we were teens at the time), with an i7 2600K, and Radeon HD 6670. I asked him his specs to compare, and he would say something along the lines of "I just KNOW my computer is better than yours...". I finally squeezed a dxdiag out of him... First-gen i3, GeForce 660. *Facepalm*

[witty signature]

I was helping a non techie to get a "Gaming Computer," Which his parents thought that a gaming computer was just a computer to play games on here are some of the questions they asked... 

Can it be a Dell? Hp? Under 300 dollars... Could it be a laptop?

Oh Can I just buy it from Gamestop?

Could he play his Xbox games on it?

Is are internet good enough(BTW iT IS 3 Down 1.5 Up)

Will he be able to take it places?

Are games free?

Is it good for Club Penguin?(The kid plays very odd games) (He is 14) (He play call of duty, Dayz and Other Games to that nature also.)

This is my first forum post:)

in french class, the audio on the smart board wasnt working right.

so my teacher says: okey, the ovie is for another time seeing the speakers are blown....

2 secs later:

my whole class yells:

MATTHEW FIX IT!!!

so i walk over, get a look at a way-too-dusty Sandy I3 system from dell and turns out the speakers work via a usb plug which was pulled out to makgical xDe room for a USB stick containing a powerpoint presentation.

when the sound comes out of the speakers 5 sec after i plug the cable in, my friend told me im magical xD

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Just as an aside isn't Polyanna a nice piece of eye candy?

TBH she's the reason I stopped watching, the others were able to fake a "oh hey look at me I know what I'm talking about" to my 9 year old self, but she was a bit rubbish at it. Soon after I found out that none of them were true techies :(

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

the others were able to fake a "oh hey look at me I know what I'm talking about" to my 9 year old self, but she was a bit rubbish at it.

Oh I don't mean "good to look at for a techie" I just mean "good to look at".

"This too shall pass"

I was helping a non techie to get a "Gaming Computer," Which his parents thought that a gaming computer was just a computer to play games on here are some of the questions they asked... 

Welcome :)

/sarcasm

Of cource all games are cross platform.

/sarcasm

Get a call from a lady saying her screen on her laptop is really dark on he laptop and she can't see it. I explained where the fn key is and what the brightness icon on her keyboard looked like. According to her it looks like a moon. Anyhow  she says it doesn't work and she can't see so I tell her to find a monitor. About 5 minutes later she comes back and says I dont really know what you mean by a monitor. Told her it looks about like a tv and will be plugged into a desktop computer. Lady still doesnt understand. Tell her it looks about like an old TV. Then she asks how she plugs it in. She wanted to know if she leave it plugged into her computer and the computer it came with or if she plugs the monitor to her laptop. Told her to call me back because at this point I was 15 minutes into a call that was going nowhere. Had to put this somewhere or I am liable to yell at someone haha. -end rant

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your stay! :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This is kind of a simple one but my religion teacher asked a student to fast forward through the ads on a video, he obviously said he couldn't and she was fine with it, we watch the ads and the video starts. Next day she makes us watch from the start all over again until were at the same point in the video.......she resisted all attempts at explanation saying that " why would i suddenly be able to fast forward, sit down".........she now lets the videos play all day untill they get to the point a particular class finished on. She now complains that she cant load 8 videos simultaneously on time.........I hate religion class

Okay, so I've been reading quite enough of these posts, and seeing as this just happened I figure I'll share it.  This isn't so much of a complete don't-know-how-to-turn-on-computer-and-you-push-the-power-button-and-they-call-you-magic post, but rather someone who has their components a bit mixed up (see what I did there? no? please? anyone? fine.)

Me: *eating sammich, talking to friend about how I'm going to get an r9 280 soon*

Me:  Yeah, so now I won't have to I deal with my shit APU graphics-

at this point another kid has come up and started listening to our conversation.  Suddenly, he blurts in.

Him:  Are you building a computer?  I built one!

Me:  Oh cool, yeah I'm building one, what's your specs?

Him:  Specs?

Me:  The components in your build.  What's your CPU?  AMD or Intel?

Him:  Oh, it's by some European company, you wouldn't know.

Me:  I think I would.  What company?

Him:  NZXT.

Me:  *facepalm* That's a case company.  You do know what a CPU is, don't you?

Him:  Yeah, duh, it's the central processing unit.

Alright, so he knows that at least, but one final test:

Me:  What shape is a cpu?

Him:  It's a long, thin rectangle, everybody knows that. (he was referring to RAM)

At this point I walk away without another word.

So after that I found him again and asked him what GPU he had for teh lulz, and he responded with "A GT 550, top of the line, it has 16 gigs of GDDR8 RAM's".

So yeah I guess he kind of knows what's in a PC but he is a filthy liar for saying he built one.  I have many more stories but those are for another time.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

This might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know a good remedy for chronic procrastination on the LTT forums?

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

This might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know a good remedy for chronic procrastination on the LTT forums?

there is none. once you are here, you are stuck forever. MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :D

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Okay, so I've been reading quite enough of these posts, and seeing as this just happened I figure I'll share it.  This isn't so much of a complete don't-know-how-to-turn-on-computer-and-you-push-the-power-button-and-they-call-you-magic post, but rather someone who has their components a bit mixed up (see what I did there? no? please? anyone? fine.)

Me: *eating sammich, talking to friend about how I'm going to get an r9 280 soon*

Me:  Yeah, so now I won't have to I deal with my shit APU graphics-

at this point another kid has come up and started listening to our conversation.  Suddenly, he blurts in.

Him:  Are you building a computer?  I built one!

Me:  Oh cool, yeah I'm building one, what's your specs?

Him:  Specs?

Me:  The components in your build.  What's your CPU?  AMD or Intel?

Him:  Oh, it's by some European company, you wouldn't know.

Me:  I think I would.  What company?

Him:  NZXT.

Me:  *facepalm* That's a case company.  You do know what a CPU is, don't you?

Him:  Yeah, duh, it's the central processing unit.

Alright, so he knows that at least, but one final test:

Me:  What shape is a cpu?

Him:  It's a long, thin rectangle, everybody knows that. (he was referring to RAM)

At this point I walk away without another word.

So after that I found him again and asked him what GPU he had for teh lulz, and he responded with "A GT 550, top of the line, it has 16 gigs of GDDR8 RAM's".

So yeah I guess he kind of knows what's in a PC but he is a filthy liar for saying he built one.  I have many more stories but those are for another time.

Wait, I thought the CPU was that thing that sits on top of your desk :P

I knew I guy that told me he had 32 GB of RAM in his Macbook Pro. I sneaked onto it when he wasn't looking once.

Started good. Core i7, 1GB Nvidia mobile graphics.

16GB of RAM.

Lies.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I think you have to read EVERYTHING ON THIS WEBSITE, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

-___- ugh I was just told to "get off the Facebook!"  Apparently any website that you post things on is automagically Facebook, for some people.

Wait, I thought the CPU was that thing that sits on top of your desk :P

I knew I guy that told me he had 32 GB of RAM in his Macbook Pro. I sneaked onto it when he wasn't looking once.

Started good. Core i7, 1GB Nvidia mobile graphics.

16GB of RAM.

Lies.

Why do people who know about components lie about theirs so badly?

-___- ugh I was just told to "get off the Facebook!"  Apparently any website that you post things on is automagically Facebook, for some people.

Not just facebook, but The Facebook

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Get a call from a lady saying her screen on her laptop is really dark on he laptop and she can't see it. I explained where the fn key is and what the brightness icon on her keyboard looked like. According to her it looks like a moon. Anyhow  she says it doesn't work and she can't see so I tell her to find a monitor. About 5 minutes later she comes back and says I dont really know what you mean by a monitor. Told her it looks about like a tv and will be plugged into a desktop computer. Lady still doesnt understand. Tell her it looks about like an old TV. Then she asks how she plugs it in. She wanted to know if she leave it plugged into her computer and the computer it came with or if she plugs the monitor to her laptop. Told her to call me back because at this point I was 15 minutes into a call that was going nowhere. Had to put this somewhere or I am liable to yell at someone haha. -end rant

Non-techie alert. Non-techie alert! Not enough patience detected! :P

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Non-techie alert. Non-techie alert! Not enough patience detected! :P

Not to be rude mate, but I used to work as a supervisor at AT&T Connectech service and that call is 0 score, if the user doesn't have the experience or knowledge you have to educate the user. Sometimes might take time to explain this stuff, but try to do it in the lamest terms and you should be ok. If you still working in that place you should consider changing your job.

Why do people who know about components lie about theirs so badly?

I don't think he knows sh*t about components....

He claims he "hacked" our school's network and that's why, one day last year, our school had no access to the internet for the whole day.

Well it was actually the senior prank, not his workings.....

He's just a techie that thinks he knows what he's talking about but just freaking doesn't.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Not to be rude mate, but I used to work as a supervisor at AT&T Connectech service and that call is 0 score, if the user doesn't have the experience or knowledge you have to educate the user. Sometimes might take time to explain this stuff, but try to do it in the lamest terms and you should be ok. If you still working in that place you should consider changing your job.

Lol you're joking right. Keep your comments inside that simple mind of yours. Of course I explained what it looked like. What the cable looked like. Where it could be found. The lady just ignorant.

Lol you're joking right. Keep your comments inside that simple mind of yours. Of course I explained what it looked like. What the cable looked like. Where it could be found. The lady just ignorant.

No, I'm not joking dude. I had too many of those calls, you only need to relax. Ignorant is not the same as uneducated.